$aban Still Angry about the $aban Rule

Hoopie

I guess $aban thinks that it's him against the rest of the CFB world. CMR @ UGA was a beneficiary of the "autograph signing sessions" resulting in bumps into the recruits, their friends, parents and teachers just like $aban. The difference is that once the rule was proposed, CMR voted to implement the rule in order to reduce the recruiting pressure on students during the spring and to ensure fairness in recruiting (some HS play autograph session favorites).

Saban still steamed about “Saban Rule”[/font]By Tony Barnhart | Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 08:26 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Destin, Fla.-Needless to say that Alabama coach Nick Saban is still steamed about the new rule that has taken head coaches off the road during the May evaluation period for recruiting.

It didn’t take much prodding here at the SEC Meetings for him to continue to make his displeasure known. It may have something to do with the fact that the change, which was passed in January, has become known as the “Saban Rule.”

“I understand why they did it,” Saban said. “It was because everybody was paranoid about what everybody else is doing. I got turned in all kind of times because I was supposedly doing this and that and I wasn’t doing it. I was just watching practice and evaluating players, which is part of our job.”

In the past head coaches could visit schools in May to evaluate a rising senior. They could talk to the coaches, watch practice or film. But they could not talk to the player other than an incidental contact or “bump.”

The problem became that many of these visits by head coaches were turned into big events. The high school coach, trying to help his player, would make sure the player came in contact with the head coach. Some coaches followed the rules. Some coaches participated and stretched the bump rule pretty thin.

There was really no effective way to enforce the no contact rule. So legislation was proposed to end the uncertainty by taking head coaches off the road and letting assistants do the evaluation.

It is worth noting that the legislation to make the change was sponsored by the SEC, whose coaches voted overwhelmingly for it. The vote, according to someone in the room, was not close. The NCAA passed the legislation last January.

Even some coaches who don’t agree with the new rule, like Florida’s Urban Meyer, understand why it was put into place.

“Coaches were being put in very uncomfortable positions,” Meyer said. “You’re not supposed to talk to the kid but you get to the school and a lot of people show up. The high school coach brings the kid out and so what do you do?”

Saban, who is known in the business as an aggressive and hands on recruiter, is not so understanding about the new rule.

During his NFL days Saban said he learned the value of player evaluation ahead of the draft. He takes the same approach in determining who Alabama will recruit. This rule, he said, takes one evaluation tool out of his hands.

“We get paid a lot of money and part of our job is evaluating players. If I’m in the NFL I’m watching guys play in college. I watch them in the combine. And then I work them out,” Saban said. “I think the interest we show in high school athletes promotes our game. And I like doing it.”

That is the key phrase. Saban knows that other head coaches don’t like that aspect of recruiting and he felt that gave him an edge. And when you’re trying to rebuild a program like Alabama, you need every edge you can get. A year ago he used that edge to put together the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class. Now it’s gone. That’s why he’s not happy.

Permalink | Comments (98) | Post your comment |

that article says absolutely nothing about some autograph signing session that you keep trying to fabricate, but good try anyways. btw, i'm still waiting on that link you promised to an article about the autograph session. and if you think CNS is the ONLY coach in NCAA Div-I football that doesn't like the rule, then you're kidding yourself. the article even says Urban Meyer doesn't like the rule, but understands why it was put in place. CNS said the same thing.

that article says absolutely nothing about some autograph signing session that you keep trying to fabricate, but good try anyways. btw, i'm still waiting on that link you promised to an article about the autograph session. and if you think CNS is the ONLY coach in NCAA Div-I football that doesn't like the rule, then you're kidding yourself. the article even says Urban Meyer doesn't like the rule, but understands why it was put in place. CNS said the same thing.

Kinda' like a crack addict that is glad someone finally took away his pipe? :poke:

Back in early April, you demanded a link to prove that the rule was called the Saban Rule. That is what this is. I didn't post the hundreds of earlier links b/c I waited to provide one from a forum that included comments from a lot more than just AU-UAT fans. Just in case you don't get out of the state much, please go to that blog, read the comments and see what the rest of the South thinks about your coach.

I think that the autograph session stuff was in the Bammerham news, but haven't had time to reaearch archives. The article was about a month ago. These sessions happened in Georgia with CMR, Florida with CUM and in Alabama with CN$. I believe (don't hold me to it)one of the schools that held the Bama meet and greet/autograph session was St. Pius in Mobile. The 2 issues for the NCAA were: (1) Disruption to the High Schools, which are supposed to be teaching not marketing. (2) If one school is allowed to hold an autograph session, then in the interest of fairness, all schools Div 1,2,3 should be allowed to hold such at all HS's.

Coach Mark Richt was a beneficiary of the actions that promulgated the rule change and he still voted for the rule change. He realized the burden it put on the schools/kids. CN$ is whining like an arrogant, spoiled brat assuming that the world is out to get him if it isn't allowing him to do as he pleases. (aka Bammer). The last statement is my opinion, no link will be provided.

According to Mark McCarter article in today's Hunrsville Times, Saban was joking at the current SEC coaches meeting in Destin, Fla. about his return to Baton Rouge this Fall for the LSU game. Saban said one of his ass't coaches said they weren't going to ride on the same bus with him. There might be more truth than humor in this case. :)

Back in early April, you demanded a link to prove that the rule was called the Saban Rule. That is what this is. I didn't post the hundreds of earlier links b/c I waited to provide one from a forum that included comments from a lot more than just AU-UAT fans. Just in case you don't get out of the state much (just in case you don't get out of the trailer park much) , please go to that blog, read the comments and see what the rest of the South thinks about your coach.

I think that the autograph session stuff was in the Bammerham news, but haven't had time to reaearch archives. The article was about a month ago. These sessions happened in Georgia with CMR, Florida with CUM and in Alabama with CN$. I believe (don't hold me to it)one of the schools that held the Bama meet and greet/autograph session was St. Pius in Mobile. The 2 issues for the NCAA were: (1) Disruption to the High Schools, which are supposed to be teaching not marketing. (2) If one school is allowed to hold an autograph session, then in the interest of fairness, all schools Div 1,2,3 should be allowed to hold such at all HS's.

Coach Mark Richt was a beneficiary of the actions that promulgated the rule change and he still voted for the rule change. He realized the burden it put on the schools/kids. CN$ is whining like an arrogant, spoiled brat assuming that the world is out to get him if it isn't allowing him to do as he pleases. (aka Bammer). The last statement is my opinion, no link will be provided.

Had to fix that for ya Hoopie!

QUICK, runningwithscissors doesn't agree with us, SOMEBODY SAY HE LIVES IN A TRAILER PARK!!!! ahhh that's better.

Bammerman thats not news! Most bommers LIVE or HIDE in single wides. :poke:

the article even says Urban Meyer doesn't like the rule, but understands why it was put in place. CNS said the same thing.

Saban, who is known in the business as an aggressive and hands on recruiter, is not so understanding about the new rule.

Dude...Saban is all about what benefits Saban and that's all. He's fleecing your University for all he can until a better offer comes along. Loyality has no meaning to him and to think otherwise is fooling yourself.

He's gonna bend every rule rule and find every loop hole to gain any advantage fair or unfair. Are you guys really this desparate for a win over us? I think you're selling your souls and one day will regret it.

the article even says Urban Meyer doesn't like the rule, but understands why it was put in place. CNS said the same thing.

Dude...Saban is all about what benefits Saban and that's all. He's fleecing your University for all he can until a better offer comes along. Loyality has no meaning to him and to think otherwise is fooling yourself.

He's gonna bend every rule rule and find every loop hole to gain any advantage fair or unfair. Are you guys really this desparate for a win over us? I think you're selling your souls and one day will regret it.

I was neutral regarding $aban when he first got to Bama. I actually gave him and Petrino a pass for wanting to get out of Pro football. What soured me was last year when he continued to put up with the players with the poor attitudes (DJ Hall, et al). Until then, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. It became obvious that he was a "win at all cost" kind of guy and it ended up backfiring on him during the LaMo game halftime player revolt when he caved in to the player's demands. He has finally implemented some measure of curfews on the players, after the rash of late winter/spring 2008 incidents. Now that he has shown his true colors, I feel that the curfews were only implemented b/c of alumni/admin pressure, not b/c of his desire to build the "Process" the right way.

I became soured before I ever heard of his penchant to skirt the rules. Since then, I learned that he is a Bill Belichik desciple and then learned of the reasons for the $aban Rule.

I became soured before I ever heard of his penchant to skirt the rules.

You haven't by chance found that link for runningwithscissors yet have you? Just asking.

“I understand why they did it,” Saban said

if a coach bends a rule, who cares.....as long as they do not break the rule. the NCAA dealt some coaches a lemon when they passed this rule, excuse them for making lemonade. oh wait, i forgot, CNS is the only coach you choose to persecute for finding an alternate and still obeying the rule. nevermind that other coaches are also.

see, that is the difference between you and me. all you think about is beating UA. you guys could lose every game but as long as you beat UA, then all is well with the world. my world does not revolve around us beating AU. we've lost 6 in a row; i'm fairly numb to it now.

It is a GOOD thing that you have grown accustomed to getting spanked by AU and Coach Tubs every year. That way, the next three will not hurt...at all!

Congrats!

Six...........and counting

Do a google search for "Urban Meyer Recruiting" and see what comes up..........

Recruiting violations, under investigation, NCAA investigation, negative recruiting, and factual negative recruiting methods are all on the first page. This being the case, I wouldn't want to pair my coach up with him by saying they believe the same things, feel the same about a particular recruting rule, and have any recruiting simlarities.

if a coach bends a rule, who cares.....as long as they do not break the rule. the NCAA dealt some coaches a lemon when they passed this rule, excuse them for making lemonade. oh wait, i forgot, CNS is the only coach you choose to persecute for finding an alternate and still obeying the rule. nevermind that other coaches are also.

see, that is the difference between you and me. all you think about is beating UA. you guys could lose every game but as long as you beat UA, then all is well with the world. my world does not revolve around us beating AU. we've lost 6 in a row; i'm fairly numb to it now.

I care. Bending a rule is a vague term anyways. Its usually really breaking a rule in intent, but through a loophole or verbage. For example, the grey area between being under the speed limit and getting a ticket. Technically you are breaking the rule at 1 mph over, but you probably won't get a ticket. Saban knows the intent of the rule. He just elects to find loopholes. No ill intent ment towards you lawyers, but thats lawyer bull$hit finding loopholes like that.

Recruiting violations, under investigation, NCAA investigation, negative recruiting, and factual negative recruiting methods are all on the first page. This being the case, I wouldn't want to pair my coach up with him by saying they believe the same things, feel the same about a particular recruting rule, and have any recruiting simlarities.

RWS doesn't know how to do a Google search. Over a month ago he asked for a "link" to support my claim that the CFB world called it the $aban rule, when most any sports information outlet had already posted articles on it.

"I got turned in all kind of times because I was supposedly doing this and that and I wasn’t doing it. I was just watching practice and evaluating players, which is part of our job.”

BWWWAHAHAHAHA.....I guess having Kenny Stabler and Lee Roy Jordan with you in the decked out RV with a Massive bammer flag, to go "Evaluate" a certain 5* Mexican is part of the job....as well as having them "accidentally" bump into the prospect on the practice field isn't breaking any type of NCAA Rules? Nah.....he Never did anything over the top or bend and stomp on the rules, did he?

Your coach said when he was hired thet he was there to beat Auburn. I was just repeating it. The real difference between you and me is integrity. I don't want a "win at all costs" coach such as Saban. I'm sure you don't understand CMR voting for the Saban rule even though it hurt him. He saw how it hurt the players. Saban didn't care because it inconvenienced him.

I don't want a coach who will "bend the rules" because he has to to win.

I want a coach who will bring in a man like Chette Williams to help the players develop spiritually vs a coach who hires a motivational speaker to jack the team up on gameday.

I want a coach who develops the program around the players and not around himself.

I would be lying if I said beating you guys wasn't entertaining. Like you said it has lost some of its luster. But it definately is not the only team or fan goal. Just a step along the way. You guys flatter yourselves way too much.

RWS doesn't know how to do a Google search. Over a month ago he asked for a "link" to support my claim that the CFB world called it the $aban rule, when most any sports information outlet had already posted articles on it.

i asked you to post a link that the NCAA came up with the rule solely because of CNS, because you along with others were saying this rule was because of CNS but failed to mention any other coaches. but hey, don't let little things like facts get in your way.

"I got turned in all kind of times because I was supposedly doing this and that and I wasn’t doing it. I was just watching practice and evaluating players, which is part of our job.”

BWWWAHAHAHAHA.....I guess having Kenny Stabler and Lee Roy Jordan with you in the decked out RV with a Massive bammer flag, to go "Evaluate" a certain 5* Mexican is part of the job....as well as having them "accidentally" bump into the prospect on the practice field isn't breaking any type of NCAA Rules? Nah.....he Never did anything over the top or bend and stomp on the rules, did he?

A. as i told you before, thats BS and you know it. message boards should not be your only source of information. it would not be uncommon to see Stabler or Jordan around the team. i have always seen them at practices and games the past 10 years i have been going.

B. Julio Jones is not hispanic you moron.

A....No, it's NOT BULLS**T. Like I stated Months ago, an assistant coach on the team said that they showed up in the RV and actually came down to the football field. I would rather believe someone that has seen it, article link or not. Actually, not long after I had posted that, the famous decked out RV was brought up in the bammerham news, not that I trust Everything that is written in the paper or on the Web. I just thought it was a strange coincidence. So, you want to start off by saying that it's BS and that I know it.....then you state, "it wouldn't be uncommon to see 'The Snake' or Jordan around the team at practices and such", but yet you don't think that they'd accompany Coach $abban to help in the "Evaluation" of a prospect for the crimson $abbans??? Umm, okay.

B....Julio is a Hispanic name D***head.

A....No, it's NOT BULLS**T. Like I stated Months ago, an assistant coach on the team said that they showed up in the RV and actually came down to the football field. I would rather believe someone that has seen it, article link or not. Actually, not long after I had posted that, the famous decked out RV was brought up in the bammerham news, not that I trust Everything that is written in the paper or on the Web. I just thought it was a strange coincidence. So, you want to start off by saying that it's BS and that I know it.....then you state, "it wouldn't be uncommon to see 'The Snake' or Jordan around the team at practices and such", but yet you don't think that they'd accompany Coach $abban to help in the "Evaluation" of a prospect for the crimson $abbans??? Umm, okay.

B....Julio is a Hispanic name D***head.

well, an assistant coach on the team told me it wasn't true and you saw that rumor on a different message board and decided to circulate it like you have some sort of inside info, much like you do about most things. since i live about 10 minutes from Foley that could be a little more believable.

if i changed my name to Julio, that wouldn't make me hispanic. his real name isn't even Julio, its actually a fairly ethnic name (starts with a "Q"......make some guesses). so your whole point there is fairly moot.

A. as i told you before, thats BS and you know it. message boards should not be your only source of information. it would not be uncommon to see Stabler or Jordan around the team. i have always seen them at practices and games the past 10 years i have been going.

B. Julio Jones is not hispanic you moron.

AAAHHH...but you knew who he was referring to, and probably when, what, and where. See you are in tune to the ways of $aban, albeit unethical.

his real name isn't even Julio, its actually a fairly ethnic name (starts with a "Q"......make some guesses). so your whole point there is fairly moot.

Qjulio?

Archived