SCOTUS decides execution for child rape, cruel and unusual

MDM4AU

I cen't even begin to describe how much I disagree with this, and how angry I am just after reading it. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if someone were to ever harm one of my children in this manner there would be an execution - whether it was sanctioned by the state or not. I would rather see the death penalty repealed for 1st degree murder of an adult than for this....

As someone who's had their life impacted directly by this sort of thing, I can say that I oppose the death penalty for it.

I've seen what it does to families, I've seen what it does to children. It's awful, it's terrible.

But it's not something the death penalty with solve. In many cases it is a legitimate mental illness. Not to the extent where you don't know what you're doing...and you are still accountable. It's just hard to articulate. And while unjustifiable...the concern for the death penalty is not one these people have. And to be quite honest, death is a better release than what they face in prison.

Prison for child molesters is the worst kind of prison. If you murder someone, you go into prison with street cred. If you mess with kids, you go into prison with a target on your back.

I'm sorry, I thought the idea was an eye for an eye.

Shouldn't this guy be raped.

Juuuuuuust Kidding

But I don't agree with it. Of course I am just against the death penalty. Either way I think I would be against it.

I'm with BG, though I know if it were my kids what I'd want to do to the perp.

The death penalty is serious and IMO, the thing that makes it right for murder is that it's a proportionate (roughly) punishment. You take a life, your life is required of you. That's justice.

Plus, one unintended side effect is that it only gives the rapist more incentive to go and kill the kid so he/she can't turn them in or testify against them.

Lock them up and throw away the key. Maybe even castrate them chemically or physically.

Reserve the death penalty for premeditated murder and even then, when the case is basically beyond all doubt.

As someone who's had their life impacted directly by this sort of thing, I can say that I oppose the death penalty for it.

I've seen what it does to families, I've seen what it does to children. It's awful, it's terrible.

But it's not something the death penalty with solve. In many cases it is a legitimate mental illness. Not to the extent where you don't know what you're doing...and you are still accountable. It's just hard to articulate. And while unjustifiable...the concern for the death penalty is not one these people have. And to be quite honest, death is a better release than what they face in prison.

Prison for child molesters is the worst kind of prison. If you murder someone, you go into prison with street cred. If you mess with kids, you go into prison with a target on your back.

I agree, and you are correct Sir.

I agree with BG, the death penalty in this type of case is not warranted. Think about the trauma that it would cause for the victim on top of dealing with the rape. No child should ever have to think that since they "told" someone that a person could die from their actions. Also a good percentage of child rapes and molestations are committed by someone that the victim knows.

No child should ever have to think that since they "told" someone that a person could die from their actions.

Thanks I never thought of that.

Also a good percentage of child rapes and molestations are committed by someone that the victim knows.

Which would make your first point much harder on the victim.

Now this is odd.

June 25th, 2008

Obama supports rape executions

Posted: 05:20 PM ET

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says he disagrees with a Supreme Court decision striking down the death penalty for child rapists, telling reporters Wednesday that states should be able to execute people for “heinous” crimes.

“I think that the rape of small child, 6 or 8 years old, is a heinous crime,” the Illinois senator said. “And if a state makes a decision that under narrow, limited, well-defined circumstances the death penalty is at least potentially applicable, that does not violate our Constitution.”

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that capital punishment can be applied only to murderers, striking down a death sentence for a Louisiana man convicted of sexually assaulting his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2008/06/25/ob...ape-executions/

If the far left loons bombard him with e-mails and phone calls, will he soon reverse his stance on this like he has so many other things?

This is a tough one, but I have to say it is a bit extreme to execution someone for a first time offense. Repeat or vicious/violent offenders of this type may be a different thing.

Now this is odd.

June 25th, 2008

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says he disagrees with a Supreme Court decision striking down the death penalty for child rapists, telling reporters Wednesday that states should be able to execute people for “heinous” crimes.

“I think that the rape of small child, 6 or 8 years old, is a heinous crime,” the Illinois senator said. “And if a state makes a decision that under narrow, limited, well-defined circumstances the death penalty is at least potentially applicable, that does not violate our Constitution.”

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that capital punishment can be applied only to murderers, striking down a death sentence for a Louisiana man convicted of sexually assaulting his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

If the far left loons bombard him with e-mails and phone calls, will he soon reverse his stance on this like he has so many other things?

Got any examples of that?

Now this is odd.

June 25th, 2008

Examples of what? Obama reversing himself?

How about this?

Barack Obama

Obama Supports FISA Legislation, Angering Left

Posted at 6:41 PM ET on Jun 20, 2008

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2...legislatio.html

June 21, 2008, 12:20 PM

Obama: I'll Fight To Strip Telecom Immunity From FISA

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/06/21/po...ry4200105.shtml

I highlighted the dates and times just for you.

Now let's get back to SCOTUS decides execution for child rape, cruel and unusual

It's all anti-death penalty till some bastard sticks his wang in your child, huh?

Sorry to be so blunt, but keep that mental picture in your mind. There would be NO place safe for the bastard. Raping a child is not just fondling.

And putting them in prison is s***. The prison system knows they will be at risk, so they get "special" accommodations. Torture with a broomstick up their ass nightly might be the bare minimum. I can't see how any parent would ever DREAM of not wanting the bastard dead that did this to their child. Death is permanent, prison is not.

It's all anti-death penalty till some bastard sticks his wang in your child, huh?

Sorry to be so blunt, but keep that mental picture in your mind. There would be NO place safe for the bastard. Raping a child is not just fondling.

And putting them in prison is s***. The prison system knows they will be at risk, so they get "special" accommodations. Torture with a broomstick up their ass nightly might be the bare minimum. I can't see how any parent would ever DREAM of not wanting the bastard dead that did this to their child. Death is permanent, prison is not.

I'm blunt as the next guy but you are out of line with the wang comment. My first reaction was I didn't agree with the ruling but I had discussion with a friend and we talked about how it would affect the victim and I changed my stance. Not every major crime should be punishable by death, sometimes restraint should be shown. I'm pro death penalty when it comes to someone murdering another person, I hope the guy that killed Officer Golden in Huntsville gets the death penalty.

Now this is odd.

June 25th, 2008

Examples of what? Obama reversing himself?

How about this?

Barack Obama

Obama Supports FISA Legislation, Angering Left

Posted at 6:41 PM ET on Jun 20, 2008

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2...legislatio.html

June 21, 2008, 12:20 PM

Obama: I'll Fight To Strip Telecom Immunity From FISA

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/06/21/po...ry4200105.shtml

I highlighted the dates and times just for you.

Thanks, but you're confused.

Obama has always opposed telecom immunity and still does. He'll still try to strip it, but if he can't, he'll support the bill, angering the "left."

"The bill has changed. So I don't think the security threats have changed, I think the security threats are similar. My view on FISA has always been that the issue of the phone companies per se is not one that overrides the security interests of the American people."

Obama's line on national security here seems to be affirmation of something that many understood already: That he will support the bill even if telecom immunity isn't stripped from it, despite his promise to try to get immunity out of the legislation. If the issue of telecom immunity doesn't override national security, he'll of course vote for the bill with or without it.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmem...om_immunity.php

June 25th, 6:13pm.

You couldn't be more wrong, or more ill informed.

Then how come there are a lot of child rapists in prison who are still alive?

As far as the blunt statement being too much? How many of you got kids? If one of them was raped, would it just be out of line? When you are entrusted with the safety of a little one and someone does to them what you would kill another human for doing to you, is it just out of line? Most of you against this would just about pass any law "for the kids" but do not see rape of a child as worse than murder. At least with murder the individual is in his or her final resting place. With child rape, these kids live with demons the rest of their lives. Many to the point where they tend to think it was their fault or they somehow think it was normal and grow up to do it to others.

I would rather be rather be wrong and ill informed than have the bastard that did this to a child to still be breathing long enough to possibly do it again. A dead man cannot rape a child...EVER. Have kids first, then try to understand.

If I had a child who was raped, I would not want him to get the death penalty. I don't believe in the death penalty on many levels and while I would wish he was dead, had never been born, want him to suffer 100 times what my child would, I don't think the government should change their opinion based on my emotion with something so personal as my child.

While the child will live with demons the rest of their life, and possibly have troubles all their life, they still have a life. They still can live and carry on. Not all of them lead depressing horrible lives. There are many more people who lead horribly depressed lives due to just abuse, or having a parent on drugs, etc, that doesn't mean they deserve death.

So if that child is able to live on and carry on a life, then even if I was pro-death penalty I wouldn't think that taking a life is commensurate to ruining one.

Have kids first, then try to understand.

Have your family ripped apart by it, then come talk to me.

It's really easy to look at it the way you do, and I'm not blaming you for it. And if I hadn't forced myself to do hours of research on clinical studies into the psyche of people who do this, then I'd be in your same shoes. Hell, I WAS until it affected my family.

And the concern for a child sending an abuser to their deathbed is a real one. The overwhelming majority of abuse cases happen with someone close to the child. The resiliency of children (and at the same time fear) USUALLY keeps the abuse unreported. Children who do report abuse not only have to deal with the tradgedy they've endured...they also get the burden of having their testimony be what sends someone close to them to prison.

And as much as it isn't there fault, and as much as you tell them that, they still fell responsible. To further that anguish by having the child know they sent them to die would be punishment on more than just the dead abuser.

AND if a child knew that their testimony COULD lead to that, it may drastically reduce the so very small number of reports that are actually made.

If I had a child who was raped, I would not want him to get the death penalty. I don't believe in the death penalty on many levels and while I would wish he was dead, had never been born, want him to suffer 100 times what my child would, I don't think the government should change their opinion based on my emotion with something so personal as my child.

While the child will live with demons the rest of their life, and possibly have troubles all their life, they still have a life. They still can live and carry on. Not all of them lead depressing horrible lives. There are many more people who lead horribly depressed lives due to just abuse, or having a parent on drugs, etc, that doesn't mean they deserve death.

So if that child is able to live on and carry on a life, then even if I was pro-death penalty I wouldn't think that taking a life is commensurate to ruining one.

So you are saying the sick bastard gets a pass because he did not finish the job? I AM PRO DEATH PENALTY. There are many individuals in our society who give up their right to life when they perform certain acts against society. RAPING A CHILD IS ONE OF THEM.

The movie "Time to Kill" comes to mind here. Should those boys have just gone to prison? Or do they deserve to rot on hell?

God may forgive them, but I think it would be too much to ask of me. That's my babies. You do that to one of my babies, the government will not even need this ruling. I want to puke just thinking about it.

Then how come there are a lot of child rapists in prison who are still alive?

Because having a miserable life in prison where the inmates there treat you like the scum you are doesn't necessarily entail being killed. Sometimes I think your brain has no capability to think critically or in any other mode than binary. Everything to you has two options...one extreme or the other. Either the prisoner is being protected and kept from harm or he's murdered with a shiv in the shower. The possibility that he's in prison, not specially protected, and his life is a living hell in prison never occurred to you?

As far as the blunt statement being too much? How many of you got kids? If one of them was raped, would it just be out of line? When you are entrusted with the safety of a little one and someone does to them what you would kill another human for doing to you, is it just out of line? Most of you against this would just about pass any law "for the kids" but do not see rape of a child as worse than murder. At least with murder the individual is in his or her final resting place. With child rape, these kids live with demons the rest of their lives. Many to the point where they tend to think it was their fault or they somehow think it was normal and grow up to do it to others.

I have kids. And I would never want something like this to happen to them. But I would never prefer that my child be dead and no longer be able to hold them and live life with them over going through something horribly traumatic but still alive.

I still believe that what makes the death penalty a just punishment, in principle, is when it's prescribed for murder. You take a life, you lose your life.

I would rather be rather be wrong and ill informed than have the bastard that did this to a child to still be breathing long enough to possibly do it again. A dead man cannot rape a child...EVER. Have kids first, then try to understand.

Neither can a guy confined to prison with no possibility of parole. You can even castrate him for good measure. That would be proportionate to the crime.

So you are saying the sick bastard gets a pass because he did not finish the job? I AM PRO DEATH PENALTY. There are many individuals in our society who give up their right to life when they perform certain acts against society. RAPING A CHILD IS ONE OF THEM.

And you would actually provide more incentive for the rapist to go ahead and kill the children to prevent them from turning him in or testifying against him. The Law of Unintended Consequences would all but assure that more kids would die.

So you guys would have me believe that all child rapists are thrown in with the general population, knowing that harm will come to them. That's BS. If this were true, the wires would be burning up with the deaths (or at least torture) of a lot sexual predators. Our prisons are full of them, but none of them seem to be getting killed or tortured. And you know some lawyer would take up the cause just for the publicity. So ther is just not enough of a living hell for these guys in prison.

There is no such thing as life in prison in this country. Too many lifers have gotten out. I just do not trust the "life" sentences anymore. And when one of these guys get out, they usually do it again. A dead guy never rapes again. Letting them live just seems too humane. And what many of them do has nothing to do with being humane.

If you don't like my extremes, too freaking bad. Some of us just aren't intellectually superior like others. No amount of studying or research will ever change the fact that if someone were to do this to one of my babies, there would be hell to pay. But to even think about letting one live after that would pretty much eat me alive until I would be living their sentence with them. I'm not willing to do that.

So you guys would have me believe that all child rapists are thrown in with the general population, knowing that harm will come to them. That's BS. If this were true, the wires would be burning up with the deaths (or at least torture) of a lot sexual predators. Our prisons are full of them, but none of them seem to be getting killed or tortured. And you know some lawyer would take up the cause just for the publicity. So ther is just not enough of a living hell for these guys in prison.

Yet, prisoner after prisoner talks about the horrors of rape and beatings and other goings on in prison. It happens. Word is, it's even worse for pedophiles. Unless you have some personal experience behind bars to enlighten us with to contradict these accounts, I'd say you're just speculating (one of those big words we intellectually superior folks use that means "pulling something out of one's ass).

There is no such thing as life in prison in this country. Too many lifers have gotten out. I just do not trust the "life" sentences anymore. And when one of these guys get out, they usually do it again. A dead guy never rapes again. Letting them live just seems too humane. And what many of them do has nothing to do with being humane.

Actually, life without the possibility of parole is exactly that. Happens all the time. You're speaking of life with the possibility of parole which is a completely different sentence.

If you don't like my extremes, too freaking bad. Some of us just aren't intellectually superior like others. No amount of studying or research will ever change the fact that if someone were to do this to one of my babies, there would be hell to pay. But to even think about letting one live after that would pretty much eat me alive until I would be living their sentence with them. I'm not willing to do that.

Well thankfully, we don't make laws or determine justice by our most base impulses. I wouldn't want to live in a country like that.

Archived