Golf with Frank Sanders

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting and playing a round of golf with Frank Sanders in Birmingham. My cousin won a charity auction and Frank flew all the way in from Phoenix. I cannot express enough how much of a great guy he is. Despite the rain, he was all about the outing. He took his time and genuinely made us feel as though he was having a good time. Of course, if I could hit the ball like him, I'd be having a good time too. I just cannot get over how nice he was and how he took the time to get to know us and make us feel as though he'd known us for a long time. On top of all that, he had an Auburn headcover on his driver and just wanted to talk Auburn football. WDE to Frank, a great Auburn man.

He's a great guy. Almost every card or picture I've seen that he's signed he included a verse too. Some of you might not care, but I love seeing that. First just knowing and wanting to share verses and second, for guys that sign a lot of autographs, that can mean a lot of extra writing. He has my respect that's for sure.

+ he played baseball and football

Not to mention one of the best WR to ever play at Auburn.Well what did you talk about?Gotta have some details. :thumbsup:

He rode in the cart with me and we talked about everything. He told me about things he's got going on, about wanting to move back soon, but he was mostly interested in us and our lives. He did talk about playing for Coach Dye and in the NFL. He is still in to AU Football though. Funniest thing was that he said he rolls his own yard after a big AU win (said his yard-man hated it, but that's what he got paid for).

He also said that one of his goals after he retired was to get back to AU and experience some of the things he missed as a player (tailgating, Toomer's Corner, walking through Tiger Walk without the hoopla, etc.) One of the things he has going on right now is a Christian clothing company which takes up whatever time he's not spending doing charity functions. Probably the coolest thing was that he asked for a copy of the pictures that we took.

He rode in the cart with me and we talked about everything. He told me about things he's got going on, about wanting to move back soon, but he was mostly interested in us and our lives. He did talk about playing for Coach Dye and in the NFL. He is still in to AU Football though. Funniest thing was that he said he rolls his own yard after a big AU win (said his yard-man hated it, but that's what he got paid for).

He also said that one of his goals after he retired was to get back to AU and experience some of the things he missed as a player (tailgating, Toomer's Corner, walking through Tiger Walk without the hoopla, etc.) One of the things he has going on right now is a Christian clothing company which takes up whatever time he's not spending doing charity functions. Probably the coolest thing was that he asked for a copy of the pictures that we took.

That is awesome! Sounds like you have made yourself a new friend. When you send him the pictures you should invite him to come tailgate with you during the LSU game or something.

Very cool. His big catches in the 1993 Bama game and the 1994 Florida game are some of my favorite Auburn plays.

It is fantastic to hear that he is a good guy and still loves Auburn.

Great story Rocket City Tiger. Frank has been one of my favorites for years. Glad to hear good things about him. War Eagle!!!

His touchdown catch in the 94 Florida game is still my all time favorite. Everytime I see that catch with the Jim Fythe voice over gets me choked up. Such an emotional game. It's great to see that former football players are still in love with the school and the football team. An experience with Charles Barkley comes to mind. Me and some of my buddies were hanging out at Innisfree on a Tuesday night after work. We where there for about 30 minutes then all of a sudden this 6'7 bald black man comes walking through the door. It's dark at the that end of the bar so we couldn't really make out who it was. Then Charles stepped into the light and we all instantly knew who he was. We all get excited that the man was in the same bar as we were. Well everybody except the obnoxious Alabama fan coworker that nobody really liked but decided to invite himself. After about 30 minutes of collecting the nerve to go talk to him and some liquid courage, I walked up to him directly, stuck my hand out to shake his hand and said "War Eagle, Mr. Barkley". His faces lit up and he put a big smile on and said "War Eagle, Hi Im Charles" So I invited to sit at our table for a few drinks which he obliged. He hung out with us for about an hour trading rounds of shots and a few beers. Man he was a cool down to earth guy.

His touchdown catch in the 94 Florida game is still my all time favorite. Everytime I see that catch with the Jim Fythe voice over gets me choked up. Such an emotional game. It's great to see that former football players are still in love with the school and the football team. An experience with Charles Barkley comes to mind. Me and some of my buddies were hanging out at Innisfree on a Tuesday night after work. We where there for about 30 minutes then all of a sudden this 6'7 bald black man comes walking through the door. It's dark at the that end of the bar so we couldn't really make out who it was. Then Charles stepped into the light and we all instantly knew who he was. We all get excited that the man was in the same bar as we were. Well everybody except the obnoxious Alabama fan coworker that nobody really liked but decided to invite himself. After about 30 minutes of collecting the nerve to go talk to him and some liquid courage, I walked up to him directly, stuck my hand out to shake his hand and said "War Eagle, Mr. Barkley". His faces lit up and he put a big smile on and said "War Eagle, Hi Im Charles" So I invited to sit at our table for a few drinks which he obliged. He hung out with us for about an hour trading rounds of shots and a few beers. Man he was a cool down to earth guy.

I agree! I met/hung out with Sir Charles at Bodega's for an hour or so in 99 or 2000. He was freaking awesome, loves Auburn, and had no problem with people talking/hanging with him. He even had bouncers with him "just in case", but they were cool as hell too.

Another great Auburn guy is Bo Jackson (well duh).......At the 99' Bama game, Buddy Mitchell gave me on the field passes, and I got to hang out with Bo for a whole quarter! We lost the game, but I got to hang out with Bo, so i wasn't as upset as I normally would be. Man was that freaking cool.

WAR DAMN GREAT AUBURN MEN FROM YESTERYEAR! :au:

Great story, but Sir Charles has never bee 6' 7". He is closer to 6' 4". It's the roundness that gets you. :roflol:

Archived