NCAA Closing in....

WarTiger

Seems the ncaa is about finished with their investigation at USC....

closing in

NCAA could be closing in on Bush

By Brent Schrotenboer

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 2, 2008

The NCAA may be close to ruling that former USC running back Reggie Bush is retroactively ineligible, which could cause Bush to lose his 2005 Heisman Trophy and the Trojans to forfeit games in 2004 and 2005.

An attorney for Lloyd Lake said NCAA officials have indicated that “they don't need anything else” to finish their investigation into Bush's college eligibility except for one thing – the Aug. 29 deposition date for Michael Michaels, Lake's investing partner in a start-up marketing agency.

If Michaels' testimony answers the final question about Bush's eligibility, the NCAA still would have another key issue to determine. It must find out what USC officials knew about Bush and his parents allegedly accepting impermissible benefits from Lake and Michaels while Bush was at USC. The more that can be proven that USC knew, the harsher the penalties for the Trojans.

NCAA officials have declined comment, except to say they were making progress.

Their inquiry into the matter got a boost in San Diego Superior Court yesterday when a judge denied a motion by Bush's attorneys to have Lake's lawsuit against Bush settled in confidential arbitration.

The ruling is significant because it keeps the depositions on the calendar and the case in public court, where NCAA investigators can collect evidence.

Lake is suing Bush and his parents, seeking almost $300,000 in cash and goods he said was lent and spent on their behalf. Lake's attorneys, Brian Watkins and Paul Wong, have accused Bush's side of trying to “stop, delay and confuse” the issues in an attempt to keep the facts of the case from the view of the NCAA and the media.

Bush's attorney, David Cornwell, has accused Lake of trying to extort Bush. Yesterday, he didn't argue against Lewis' ruling.

“We'll take whatever is the next appropriate step,” Cornwell said.

Michaels showed up in court prepared to give testimony, but Judge Joan Lewis said she would not hear testimony.

Michaels owned the Spring Valley house where Bush's parents lived from 2005 to 2006, allegedly without paying rent. He reached a settlement with Bush's parents last year in which he received about $300,000, people familiar to the case said. The agreement also required him not to publicly talk about the case, which he has not – so far. Bush and his parents also have not cooperated with the NCAA investigation.

Bush's attorneys argued that the case should go to arbitration because Michaels' settlement agreement was made “on behalf of himself and any partners,” which they say includes Lake. It contains a stipulation to have any claims decided by confidential arbitration. Lewis said there was no evidence that Lake was party to the agreement.

She also urged both sides to get the case moving and overcome their ongoing bickering over pretrial discovery issues. If they don't, she said she would bring in a private mediator to referee the case, which would cost roughly $200 to $800 an hour to be split by both sides.

“I'm at a loss as to who's telling me the reality,” Lewis said.

Lewis said she would reconsider other discovery issues she had tentatively ruled on Thursday, including a $2,730 sanction against Lake and his counsel.

Bush is scheduled to have his deposition for the case taken Sept. 9, possibly in New Orleans, where he plays for the NFL's Saints. His parents are scheduled to follow on Sept. 10-11.

Lake's attorneys estimate Bush has spent more than $1 million in legal fees to defend himself in a case that seeks about $300,000. Bush has denied wrongdoing. “Plaintiff still has to prove his case,” Cornwell said.

that sounds good and all, but i would still be surprised if anything happened.

Me too. Frankly, it's getting way too close to 08 football season for me to even care.

Me too. Frankly, it's getting way too close to 08 football season for me to even care.

no doubt. you know, i had just mowed the grass at my new house today and it was 6-ish and i was just sitting in the grass in the yard. just how it looked and smelled outside the way the sun was setting, i couldn't help but think of.....the nip. i hope we have an early one this year again, the bahia grass in the backyard is KILLING me!

no doubt. you know, i had just mowed the grass at my new house today and it was 6-ish and i was just sitting in the grass in the yard. just how it looked and smelled outside the way the sun was setting, i couldn't help but think of.....the nip. i hope we have an early one this year again, the bahia grass in the backyard is KILLING me!

Hang in there. The "Nip" can't be too far away........... :thumbsup:

WarTim and Runswithscissors.........

I was hanging out by my dads pool yesterday (was actually nice for August in Alabama) and all of a sudden a LEAF FELL!!!!!! For no explainable reason whatsoever! Just fell right down on the pavement in front of me! EXPLAIN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hanging out by my dads pool yesterday (was actually nice for August in Alabama) and all of a sudden a LEAF FELL!!!!!! For no explainable reason whatsoever! Just fell right down on the pavement in front of me! EXPLAIN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heat stroke

Gas prices are to blame.

global climate change and the Beijing Olympics

kittens

... it's a hoax perpetrated by a conspiracy of the NCAA and the Memphis Federal DA's office, masterminded by Phillip Fulmer B)

i will offer this, if he had played at auburn or alabama, both of us might be looking at forfeiting games and surrendering the heisman, and it would have already taken place, and would be considered old news by now...

and one side would ride the other about it until the end of time :roflol::roflol:

i will offer this, if he had played at auburn or alabama, both of us might be looking at forfeiting games and surrendering the heisman, and it would have already taken place, and would be considered old news by now...

and one side would ride the other about it until the end of time :roflol::roflol:

i really expect this to come out as "well, we investigated it but we can't come to a hard conclusion because there is just no real conclusive proof." and all will be well. this whole "investigation" is just so they can say they are doing something. if it was any school in the SEC they would have been smacked down.

It's obviously George Bush's fault. Just ask any democrat.

Sweet!!! Auburn will be the 04 champions....now if we could only do something about orange jerseys and short cornerbacks.

i really expect this to come out as "well, we investigated it but we can't come to a hard conclusion because there is just no real conclusive proof." and all will be well. this whole "investigation" is just so they can say they are doing something. if it was any school in the SEC they would have been smacked down.

Absolutely right. This whole "investigation" is symbolic, and an investigation only by name.

A headline featuring "inconclusive" is in our near future.

Archived