McCain v. McCain on abortion

TexasTiger

He's contradicted himself numerous times, but lets start with the most recent.

At Saddleback he said that human rights began with conception. Yet he has previously maintained that he believes in exceptions to prohibiting abortion in the case of rape, incest and the life of the mother. I suppose one can argue that depending on the degree of threat to the life of the mother, that someone's "human rights" must prevail, but why would an innocent unborn that it he result of a rape not be protected against an abortion if that unborn fetus has had human rights since conception? Sounds like an unprincipled position base on what voters might find most palatable, doesn't it?

He's contradicted himself numerous times, but lets start with the most recent.

At Saddleback he said that human rights began with conception. Yet he has previously maintained that he believes in exceptions to prohibiting abortion in the case of rape, incest and the life of the mother. I suppose one can argue that depending on the degree of threat to the life of the mother, that someone's "human rights" must prevail, but why would an innocent unborn that it he result of a rape not be protected against an abortion if that unborn fetus has had human rights since conception? Sounds like an unprincipled position base on what voters might find most palatable, doesn't it?

Yeah. I refuse to address these people as "pro-life" any longer as they've consistently shown that, beyond mandating birth, they really could care less. They're simply "anti-choice." After that, social Darwinism takes over.

Anyway, you're right, McCain's position on abortion seems to be clear as mud. I think he's anti-choice for the moment.

Archived