RB Production in Spread O

AUTiger10

Hello all and WAR EAGLE! This is my first post (other than TD Auburn Bowl this morning); however, I have visited here daily for years just never posted.

What are your thoughts on the production of our RBs this year in the new spread O? Are we going to go against the traditional way of setting up the pass with the run and do exactly the opposite? I think with our young experienced line we will definitely run the ball effectively just interested in the approach we take with the new spread O. I expect our RBs, as well as Kodi, to have a huge year due to the defensive being spread out and focused on the pass and especially effective in the 4th when we have completely worn out our opponents D… A play every 27 seconds right…? WDE!

Welcome to the world of posting! On to your question, I think that we will see a lot of work from our running backs (CTF has said, and even proved at Troy) that he will utilize them. Also, CTT has repeatedly said that we will not be getting away from our running mentality. I think this offense (what I've studied at least) is going to open up doors on both ends of the stick. I think that we could be so scary passing the ball that the interior defense won't be able to jam up the middle, hence creating freeways. On the sour note though, I don't see us busting as many "long" runs, b/c the defense will be so spread out. Personally, I'm VERY excited to see what happens, as Auburn fans we haven't seen a really explosive (even in 04') offense with a good mix in quite some time.....

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!! :au: IN 08'!

Hello all and WAR EAGLE! This is my first post (other than TD Auburn Bowl this morning); however, I have visited here daily for years just never posted.

What are your thoughts on the production of our RBs this year in the new spread O? Are we going to go against the traditional way of setting up the pass with the run and do exactly the opposite? I think with our young experienced line we will definitely run the ball effectively just interested in the approach we take with the new spread O. I expect our RBs, as well as Kodi, to have a huge year due to the defensive being spread out and focused on the pass and especially effective in the 4th when we have completely worn out our opponents D… A play every 27 seconds right…? WDE!

Dang, I haven't looked at it like that. But with a play every 27 seconds, our D maybe worn out too. With a fast-tempo offense, to me it would just speed up the entire game and cause our D to be on the field longer too, right?

As to the running game, CTT has been in the SEC what, 13 years? He knows that to win in the SEC, you gotta run the ball. I have confidence in him to make the right decision. I think we'll be 60%-40% run/pass team.

Just a theory here, but since we had relatively zero offensive production through the air last year we were quite predictable. I'd hazard to say that our RBs will fair well with the spread. In part due to defenses being unable to put 8 in the box...and then there's that option thingy which seems to be effective if put in the right hands, oh and I think we actually might make some big plays through the air this year.

Just a theory here, but since we had relatively zero offensive production through the air last year we were quite predictable. I'd hazard to say that our RBs will fair well with the spread. In part due to defenses being unable to put 8 in the box...and then there's that option thingy which seems to be effective if put in the right hands, oh and I think we actually might make some big plays through the air this year.

Ditto...creates many more 1 on 1 situation for our RB's. Lester and Davis will make them miss or outrun them...and Tate will outrun or run over them. Brad can do the runover part too, when we're playing Bamar. B)

:au::homer:

Ditto...creates many more 1 on 1 situation for our RB's. Lester and Davis will make them miss or outrun them...and Tate will outrun or run over them. Brad can do the runover part too, when we're playing Bamar. B)

You took the words out of my mouth...

The oppositions' DBs' are going to be so wiped from covering the receivers. Tate and the "mini Rudi" are going to have a field day smacking them in the open filed. Lester and Davis are gonna make many defensive players look silly. Plus, if he is not seriously injured, I really like Fannin more than any of them. Especially if he can catch a few in the open!

You took the words out of my mouth...

The oppositions' DBs' are going to be so wiped from covering the receivers. Tate and the "mini Rudi" are going to have a field day smacking them in the open filed. Lester and Davis are gonna make many defensive players look silly. Plus, if he is not seriously injured, I really like Fannin more than any of them. Especially if he can catch a few in the open!

If Fannin can hold onto the ball he will be AU's version of Percy Harvin (a 222 lb. Percy Harvin, mind you). I think moving him out in space will do wonders, curtailing to his ability and his speed. I don't think catching the ball in the open will be a problem for him, the slip/bubble screen is going to be his bread and butter if I'm not mistaken.

This is the general premise of the spread offense. Spread the field out, thereby spreading the defenders out, then you create one on one matchups against the defenders whether it be the QB, RB, or WRs. In a 1 on 1 matchup the offensive player is gonna win at least 75% of the time.

This is the general premise of the spread offense. Spread the field out, thereby spreading the defenders out, then you create one on one matchups against the defenders whether it be the QB, RB, or WRs. In a 1 on 1 matchup the offensive player is gonna win at least 75% of the time.

Egggggggggg-zactly...and lest we forget, Kodi will double as another RB.... :)

What happens when the defense sends 4 in the blitz and hammers our QB? It's gonna happen, especially when we play Miss State, LSU and UT back to back in Sept. I don't want to sound like such a negative ass, but Kody better be ready for a swarming blitz attack from those 3 teams.

What happens when the defense sends 4 in the blitz and hammers our QB? It's gonna happen, especially when we play Miss State, LSU and UT back to back in Sept. I don't want to sound like such a negative ass, but Kody better be ready for a swarming blitz attack from those 3 teams.

It'll happen, and he will get sacked I'm sure, but not every time. Blitzing 4 means that you're basically leaving 2 people uncovered (Assuming 4 d-linemen and 4 blitzers whether they be LB/DB). A dump off to a tailback or Fannin would work perfectly in this situation and could easily turn into a big, big play due to there only being 3 defenders to cover 5 receivers.

It'll happen, and he will get sacked I'm sure, but not every time. Blitzing 4 means that you're basically leaving 2 people uncovered (Assuming 4 d-linemen and 4 blitzers whether they be LB/DB). A dump off to a tailback or Fannin would work perfectly in this situation and could easily turn into a big, big play due to there only being 3 defenders to cover 5 receivers.

Ok. It all starts with the QB and hopefully Kodi will have the presence of mind to not let an agressive blitz shake him up. But then again, thank G-d we have Todd to help out. The spread is just such a broad word, when you think of Texas Tech, West Virginia, Missouri, Florida, they all run the spread, just a different form of the spread. This is new not only to the team, but to us fans as well. ;)

Ok. It all starts with the QB and hopefully Kodi will have the presence of mind to not let an agressive blitz shake him up. But then again, thank G-d we have Todd to help out. The spread is just such a broad word, when you think of Texas Tech, West Virginia, Missouri, Florida, they all run the spread, just a different form of the spread. This is new not only to the team, but to us fans as well. ;)

I think Kodi will be fine. He has speed, elusiveness, and seems to be a smart kid. He may go through some growing pains but our first three opponents provide an escalation of talent that is conducive to this learning curve... B)

Yeah blitzing isn't a very good philosophy. Especially if you send 4. This isn't EA NCAA or Madden where the sack is practically instant. O Lines know how to block against a blitz to give the QB the most time possible, and the RB will pick up a man or be open as an outlet. If a QB makes a descent read he should have an easy pass for a good gain.

Another thing is when you spread the receivers out. It can often make it easier to read blitzes than with a heavy formation. With 2 TEs the defense can more easily hide the blitz than with 3 or 4 wide. If they don't show it, well, then it's gonna take a while to get to the QB. I mean if they wanna stack the box against us I'll take that ALL day. We will rip them a new one with the pass.

Our QBs also have much more mobility than our previous one. When Cox had an unblocked blitzer it was about a 75% chance he was going down. With Kodi especially you miss the tackle and you are in for some big trouble once he gets loose either on the run or pass.

West Va. seems to run very well out of the spread. They also break a lot of long runs. I hope we can do the same. This seems to be an offense that puts the RB 1 on 1 with a defender. If they make them miss (Lester) or run over them (Tate) then we have a RB running free.

Dang, I haven't looked at it like that. But with a play every 27 seconds, our D maybe worn out too. With a fast-tempo offense, to me it would just speed up the entire game and cause our D to be on the field longer too, right?

I don't think that our "D" will be any more worn out this upcoming season than it has been during the past two. Our offense has been so inefficient the past two years that our "D" has spent a lot of time on the field and it showed in several games.

I don't think that our "D" will be any more worn out this upcoming season than it has been during the past two. Our offense has been so inefficient the past two years that our "D" has spent a lot of time on the field and it showed in several games.

No kidding, the South Florida game comes to mind.

No kidding, the South Florida game comes to mind.

WORD

Archived