Why the Iron Bowl is nationally interesting again.

Birmingham

I've heard some say that the Iron Bowl has little to no nation wide interest. That may be in part due to Alabama's poor performance, making it less interesting for those not emotionally involved. I mention that to say why I think the Iron Bowl is about to get that attention back.

Auburn is about to be featured by ESPN Gameday for the 2nd time this season. Alabama was on it twice already. That means that 6 weeks into the season, 4 of those weeks ESPN gameday covered Alabama and Auburn games. The nation is watching our programs and that won't be the last time either of our teams are featured. I think that can only help both of our programs.

6 in a row!!!!!!!!!

(I went ahead and threw in the "6 in a row", hope I didn't steal anyone's thunder)

If it wasn't relavant because you were down so long (theoretically) then it should be less important if we are struggling.

If its only relevant when you are doing well then that is dumb. It will be more interesting if you walk in undefeated from a national standpoint simply because it would be the last game before you hit the SEC championship.

If you lose a few games along the way it will be less interesting nationally again.

If it wasn't relavant because you were down so long (theoretically) then it should be less important if we are struggling.

If its only relevant when you are doing well then that is dumb. It will be more interesting if you walk in undefeated from a national standpoint simply because it would be the last game before you hit the SEC championship.

If you lose a few games along the way it will be less interesting nationally again.

Stop making sense.

FF, I don't wish it to be less interesting for that reason, it's just the facts. The Michigan - Ohio State game would be a bit more interesting if Michigan didn't blow nuts but they do. Auburn only has 1 loss.

I've been saying this for the last two or three years, well Auburn fans I hope you are happy:

Auburn fans have been demanding this game to have more national interest and that the only way it would happen is if Alabama would start being good again. The general quote was "I wish the game would start to be competitive again and mean something."

Well guys, Alabama is great and the jury is still out on Auburn. I hope you guys are happy that the game is "competitive" and now "means something" because that's what you wanted. I tried to tell you guys "so you want Bama to be good and to win this game?" and you guys tried to shrug it off. Well you got what you asked for - I hope you are happy.

Personally, I could give a rats A$$ if this game was even on PPV among all things. I just want to see Auburn destroy Bama year in and year out. Who cares about national prominence? Do you really care about this game getting the hype that Ohio State - Michigan receives? Or would you prefer Bama to suck and Auburn to kick their ass?

You guys call me the Bammer on this board, but I'm like the only one that doesn't care about this game being big, because I just want Bama to suck, while you guys want Bama to be good so it is competitive and start to win some in this series. I may predict a Bama W, but I never hope for them to actually get a W in any game.

Let's have a vote, now that maybe it has finally got your attention:

Would you guys rather see Auburn and Alabama play undefeated every year or Auburn be undefeated and Alabama winless? Maybe now, we will get the true feelings.

I've been saying this for the last two or three years, well Auburn fans I hope you are happy:

Auburn fans have been demanding this game to have more national interest and that the only way it would happen is if Alabama would start being good again. The general quote was "I wish the game would start to be competitive again and mean something."

Well guys, Alabama is great and the jury is still out on Auburn. I hope you guys are happy that the game is "competitive" and now "means something" because that's what you wanted. I tried to tell you guys "so you want Bama to be good and to win this game?" and you guys tried to shrug it off. Well you got what you asked for - I hope you are happy.

Personally, I could give a rats A$$ if this game was even on PPV among all things. I just want to see Auburn destroy Bama year in and year out. Who cares about national prominence? Do you really care about this game getting the hype that Ohio State - Michigan receives? Or would you prefer Bama to suck and Auburn to kick their ass?

You guys call me the Bammer on this board, but I'm like the only one that doesn't care about this game being big, because I just want Bama to suck, while you guys want Bama to be good so it is competitive and start to win some in this series. I may predict a Bama W, but I never hope for them to actually get a W in any game.

Would you guys rather see Auburn and Alabama play undefeated every year or Auburn be undefeated and Alabama winless? Maybe now, we will get the true feelings.

I used to be one who wanted both teams to be in the top ten at the end of the season, but then they hired Saban. In my eyes, that made them the Yankees of college football. I hope they lose every game. Actually, I hope their bus breaks down 20 miles from the stadium every game and they have to sprint to show up mid way through the second quarter. If their program got the death penalty, I would laugh.

It's only important nationally when both teams are in contention. Birmingham knows this.

Fanatic, your right, we are struggling, but we are

not
out of contention.
So right now
, the iron bowl has the makings for being a game with national title implications.

Basically, if the SEC West comes down to the Iron Bowl, it will be huge....very huge! Which brings a question. Since the SEC split in 1992, has the iron bowl ever decided the west? I don't think it has since the BCS got started, but I'm not sure about the mid-late 90's.

Anyways, Auburn has to find some offensive production before any of this matters. But it's fun to think about. :)

I believe that 1997 game decided the West......Bama fullback fumbles ball in last minute...AU recovers...Field Goal for the ages - Fife goes crazy!!

Other than that ...can't recall.

We will deliver #7 on the national stage in front of all the lights and cameras this fall. Yes, it will be nationally interesting, regardless of what happens with bammer between now and then.

We will deliver #7 on the national stage in front of all the lights and cameras this fall

alright, I have to ask. Are you referring to the 1 offensive touchdown that Auburn will score in the game? :poke: I kid I kid

Is this a serious question? Let me see.....hmm....Both Auburn AND bama Undefeated or Auburn undefeated and bama winless...hmm...how does one choose???? :rolleyes:

P>S>

And could you please start showing a little less respect for bama by not using proper grammar when referencing them in your posts...sheeze man-how many times does someone have to call you down about this??

We will deliver #7 on the national stage in front of all the lights and cameras this fall

alright, I have to ask. Are you referring to the 1 offensive touchdown that Auburn will score in the game? :poke: I kid I kid

Well, Well, Well....someone gets the taste of the highlife again and they start getting a little cocky eh? I would think that you'd be more concerned about what happens when our defense combines with that lonely offensive TD? That and the fact that our D will be introducing Mary Tyler Wilson to the Brodie Croyle school of "Thank you sir, may I have another" as he takes the IB QB sack record from Croyle.... ;)

I would think that you'd be more concerned about what happens when our defense combines with that lonely offensive TD?

Does this mean you're gonna chop block us? :(

You must be new to college football. Look up the history of the Iron Bowl and you will quickly see that NOTHING matters other than what happens THAT DAY in THAT GAME.

For instance, in 1989, undefeated Alabama came to JHS for the first time in history and had their national championship hopes knocked away by an "inferior" Auburn team.

In 2004, if I am not mistaken, the only game where Auburn trailed at half time was the Iron Bowl.

Punt Bama Punt.

Etc. Get the point? 7 is in your future and you wake up at night fearing it.

AU422-medium.jpg

Guest BoStillKnows
I would think that you'd be more concerned about what happens when our defense combines with that lonely offensive TD?

You should be more worried about cops on the sidelines.

All the pressure will be on Auburn.

7 in a row

Haven't lost in T-Town

Bama is back

Spread sucks

You pick the gameday sign

That happens TOO a defense, not done by a defense. Good football knowledge there. :)

All the pressure will be on Auburn.

7 in a row

Haven't lost in T-Town

Bama is back

Spread sucks

You pick the gameday sign

All those put pressure on uat as well.

7 in a row - Gotta keep this from happening.

Haven't lost in T'town - Gotta stop this streak too.

Bama is back - If they are undefeted or 1 loss at the time, it will possible mean an SEC championship trip on the line.

Spread sucks - If it works against no one but uat, how's that gonna make you look?

Archived