Need Help with Privacy/Outlook Email Issue

mattd

My wifes office uses Outlook 200o and recently found out that they have been reading ppl's email....is there any way I can block them from this? Or download an encryption ?

Numa's right - they can read what goes through their servers (which is probably MS Exchange).

If you're concerned about personal email, why don't you get one of the free web based email accounts? Then you could check that email throughout the day by way of your browser. I would personally recommend the Yahoo email, you sign up for MyYahoo and email comes with it. Also, if you run the Yahoo IM, it alerts you when you get an email.

If you have a personal account through an ISP, you could configure Outlook Express (or some other mail client, I prefer Ximian...) to check that email throughout the day. Just make sure when setting up the account to tell it to leave messages on the server, that way you still get your email at home.

If you want totally secure, encrypted email, go to www.ziplip.com. Not only is the interface completely in SSL encryption, but you assign a password to the email before you send it that only your recipient would know. Then they use that password to go to the secure site and read it. You can even set a time limit that the password is effective and when you delete items, they securely shred them. All that to say, the email is secure from snooping eyes all the way through.

And depending on how your company has it's firewall and things set up, they could even read emails you download from another account like your home one if you have it come in to Outlook Express. I'd stick with a web-based email client...ZipLip if you really want maximum security.

I use hotmail. I love it. With msn it tells you who emails you and you can set it up so when someone on your contact list emails you, it sends a message to your cell phone.

Archived