Chizik ushering in new recruiting approach

RunInRed

Besides the Offensive staff he put together, this is what I like about CGC most so far...

Chizik ushering in new recruiting approach

1/8/09, AFTERNOON

So I mentioned this on the radio broadcast this afternoon, but it certainly deserves its own thread.

I'm intrigued by Gene Chizik's "new" approach to recruiting. Bryan Matthews and Jeffrey Lee, the brains behind AuburnSports.com, have been writing plenty lately about the Tigers' highly ambitious efforts on the recruiting trail.

Auburn assistant Curtis Luper met with Louisiana wideout Reuben Randle at his high school earlier this week. Randle is the nation's top prospect at his position. Luper has been working on Randle from an Oklahoma State perspective for months and simply transferred that progress to Auburn after switching employers last week.

No, Randle wasn't even a first thought for Tommy Tuberville and his staff.

He's not the only top-tier guy the Tigers are working. They have spoken with Kansas tailback Bryce Brown (a 5-star guy) and Texas quarterback Tyrik Rollison (a 5-star guy) and Gadsden wideout Kendall Kelly, who is a big regional name.

Is this going to work?

I think it will to a degree. Tuberville seemed to recruit around his biggest rivals -- often conceding players because they were considered unattainable. It's obvious that Chizik doesn't play that game. He's standing up to all programs and trying to win his fair share of the top prospects.

He's going to get a few of these kids. It's just basic math. Sell your program to 100 kids and at least a quarter of them will be highly intrigued. The promise of a new, hipper coaching staff and a new, hipper offense is going to give Auburn an advantage it didn't have before.

I find this pretty fascinating. Even if Auburn fails miserably, it'll still get the smattering of 3- and 4-star guys Tuberville was going to land anyway.

Chizik's approach is a low-risk, high-reward enterprise.

It'll make for a great story during the first week in February -- regardless of outcome.

http://jaygtate.blogspot.com/

MINDFREAK...It's like he's reading my mind. Really, what is there to lose; we'll continue to get the 3-4 star guys without a ton of effort. This was always one of my biggest issue w/ TT, never went after the big dogs. Hope it works and if so, we'll be playing for championships 2-3 yrs down the road. WDChizik

I'm stoked. CGC's "plan" for recruiting is light years ahead of TT's. If we can't go head to head with the top ranked National programs on the recruiting trail then we can't expect to compete on the field. WDE!

Archived