Men's BBall vs. Florida Tonight

AUHonors

Just a reminder that the men's team takes on Florida tonight at home. Who knows what to expect, but it can't hurt to have a good crowd there.

It's also televised on Raycom, I believe.

Florida leads 40-34 at the half. Auburn hanging in even though they've shot terribly. Only 42% from the field and 1 of 13 from 3 pt range. By contrast, FL is shooting 50% and 1 of 7 from 3pt land.

Quantez Robinson... 0 for 5 at the FREE THROW line? As a team, 2 for 10 at the free throw line? And 13% from the 3-point line? Way to shoot it AU. Wow!... should have walked away with this game. Maybe the worst exhibition of shooting I've seen in years.

Defense really played well in the 2nd half but the shooting never improved. FL hit a key three late that put them up 5 with a minute to play and we had to start fouling. They hit the FTs. End of story.

Defense really played well in the 2nd half but the shooting never improved. FL hit a key three late that put them up 5 with a minute to play and we had to start fouling. They hit the FTs. End of story.

That was probably the worst display of shooting I have ever seen. Hell i think a church basketball squad could shoot better then that. If AUburn would have hit their free throws and 3 pointers they would have won by 30. Florida isn't that great of a team. So long Lebo, valiant effort, but we will see ya around.

Why is it that we are always so bad at the Free Throw line. Heck, you are at home, it is quiet (pretty much) and you have a free shot and you can't hit it. We haven't been able to hit free throws in years. Make those shots and it is a different game. Just don't understand it.

*Shakes Head*

Another close loss, another pathetic performance. When will it stop? I guess in March...

Maybe the women can teach the men a thing or two about shooting from the FT line.

Free throw shooting is about one thing: practice.

You practice them until your arms fall off. You develop a routine and develop muscle memory. But you're not going to get to do that during regular practice. That's all on you. What's your level of dedication?

With this bunch, apparently not much.

I have a difficult time believing they don't practice FT shooting.

And how many kids in HS do you know that are unbelievable ball players and can make ridiculous shots and are still excellent FT shooters.

It's just amazing to me that Auburn seems to be the worst FT shooting program. I have no stats and I doubt we are dead last, but it sure seems like it.

Basically - I bet Lebo has the kids practice it. But these kids should be good enough that FT shooting is as easy as a layup. Something is of funk, I just don't know what it is. Maybe it is coaching. But I feel it has to be something more than that. Because this occurred in the Ellis years.

Watching that b'ball game was almost as painful as our football team this year; outstanding defense, but one of the worst offenses in the country. If they had converted only 2 or 3 possessions with the score knotted up at about 5 minutes to go, they might have pulled away. Well, until UF started fouling. I have been a Lebo supporter all along, and was pretty confident he would eventually put together an NCAA run. But I just don't think he has it in him. He is a great defensive coach, but has never coached the players (or recruited the players) to at least keep up offensively.

Lebo.....warm up the SUV. You are going to need it. ]

Dang it! Thank God for Nell Fortner and the Ladies.

And how many kids in HS do you know that are unbelievable ball players and can make ridiculous shots and are still excellent FT shooters.

It's just amazing to me that Auburn seems to be the worst FT shooting program. I have no stats and I doubt we are dead last, but it sure seems like it.

Basically - I bet Lebo has the kids practice it. But these kids should be good enough that FT shooting is as easy as a layup. Something is of funk, I just don't know what it is. Maybe it is coaching. But I feel it has to be something more than that. Because this occurred in the Ellis years.

334 out of 344

That's right. There are 333 other teams out there BETTER at shooting free throws. Puh-theh-tick.

I've been a HUGE Lebo supporter. But are no excuses this year. NONE. We continue to look like we have NO sense of the game around us. It's a shame such a brilliant defensive game has to be sullied by such abysmal shooting. If I'm Lebo, I'm pulling all my hair out right now. ... ...wait...

I think they practice dribbling down the court as fast and uncontrolled as possible so much that standing still makes them dizzy.

No fundamentals, especially on the offensive side.

The thing I've noticed and is so frustrating is that we seem to give away games late. We can be in a game or down 1 or 2 and end up losing by 7 everytime. I have no confidence we can come back or close out a team. We play great defense, but we seem to have a lack of a playmaker on offense. And I think we have a lack of floor leadership. We were down by 2 I think and Barrett took an awful looking shot with a chance to tie or take the lead. We've just got to have better decision making down the stretch. I think that does reflect back to coaching. If we need to hold onto a time out to take down the stretch and cool our heads then so be it. We just seem to get overly anxious and take a lot of ill-advised shots and lack a real go-to guy when we need points.

The thing I've noticed and is so frustrating is that we seem to give away games late. We can be in a game or down 1 or 2 and end up losing by 7 everytime. I have no confidence we can come back or close out a team. We play great defense, but we seem to have a lack of a playmaker on offense. And I think we have a lack of floor leadership. We were down by 2 I think and Barrett took an awful looking shot with a chance to tie or take the lead. We've just got to have better decision making down the stretch. I think that does reflect back to coaching. If we need to hold onto a time out to take down the stretch and cool our heads then so be it. We just seem to get overly anxious and take a lot of ill-advised shots and lack a real go-to guy when we need points.

It's very frustrating, but had they hit shots more consistently over the course of the game, florida would have been the one fouling late to stop the clock. 5-27 from 3 point range is atrocious. Even, I, at 41, could make more than 5 of 27.... Combine the poor shooting from behind the arc to the poor shooting at the free throw line and its a loss every time.

Free throw shooting is about one thing: practice.

You practice them until your arms fall off. You develop a routine and develop muscle memory. But you're not going to get to do that during regular practice. That's all on you. What's your level of dedication?

With this bunch, apparently not much.

You are right. A coach does not have the time in practice to devote to foul-shot shooting. A coach can help keep guys sharp but during the season in team practice is not the time to improve a player's foul shooting. Players need to become good shooters on their own working 1 on 1 with a manger or friend (player shooting and manager throwing him the ball). When I see a group who are such poor shooters it makes me question their dedication. Everyone likes to play ball and players think they worked on their game when they go to the gym and play pick up. What players really need is the not so fun individual work to get better. I am sorry to go off on a rant, but after coaching high school basketball for 9 years I get frustrated by the player with all the natural ability in the world but is unwilling to spend the time to get better. .

Archived