Rescue a mixed blessing for lost hunter

bojack34

Rescue a mixed blessing for lost hunter

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:03 PM EST

The Associated Press

CHEBOYGAN, Mich. (AP) — Being rescued was a mixed blessing for a man who got lost while hunting in Cheboygan County. Howard Keshick became disoriented in Inverness Township in December and called for help on his cell phone. Police and a Coast Guard helicopter braved high winds and blowing snow to locate him.

But the Cheboygan Daily Tribune reported authorities discovered Keshick was a convicted felon and charged him with illegal possession of a firearm. Police said he claimed he didn't know the law applied to his black powder muzzleloader.

Keshick was bound over for arraignment in circuit court on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, he is scheduled for sentencing Feb. 3 on charges including home invasion, property destruction and being a habitual offender.

link

Wow!!!!! Risk death, or go to prison. That must of been one heck of a trying decision for this guy to make! Of course I highly doubt that the sheriff or judge is going to buy his "I didn't know it pertained to my muzzleloader" story! Hopefully the system will work with him though.

Wow!!!!! Risk death, or go to prison. That must of been one heck of a trying decision for this guy to make! Of course I highly doubt that the sheriff or judge is going to buy his "I didn't know it pertained to my muzzleloader" story! Hopefully the system will work with him though.

Actually black powder weapons fall under a whole different set of laws. You can carry a loaded black powder pistol in your car in any state. Apparently the way it works is that the powder only stays viable for a certain amount of time? I thought it weird also. So this guy really had reason to believe that he may not be in trouble. Convicted felons can carry a bow and arrow. Remember Dukes of Hazzard?

The laws may be changing because of the advancement of black powder weapons. But at one time they were considered as primitive as a bow and arrow.

Generally muzzleloaders that use a percussion cap rather than a 209 shotgun primer are excluded under federal law. This could be state law. He may have had a 209 primer also.

Archived