Billy Clyde Gillispie

He would be a great coach at a football school. He really is terrible with fans, media, and promo stuff. It really has been a train wreck. Tubby Smith definitely had his weak areas, and he probably needed to go. However, people loved Tubby. He was extremely active in the community. He was generous with boosters. He was apparently much easier to work with than play for.

Gillespie's teams have more talent and less heart. Plus, he doesn't seem to be able to get along with athletic department staff. He needs to know that you have to have Sabanic success to be a Sabanic jerk.

Apparently, UK will make the move today. With CM Newton's ties to Bammer, it would be difficult for me to see Gillespie going to T-town.

This link was an article about it, but now its blank....??

if was true and :uk: drops him....i hope he stays away from the bamzos.....he's good and Kentucky is making a mistake.

Apparently, he had some off-the-field problems as well. DUIs and such. I've talked with my UK friends, and there will be no tears shed for him when he goes.

I think they want Billy Donovan. Who knows? Maybe they can get him.

I think he's a good coach. And I think Kentucky should give him another year. EXCEPT - if he gets fired, that would mess up Bama's coaching search and that would be funny! .....Gillespie, Donovan, Grant.........Who goes where?

Kentucky Basketball Coach Gillispie Won’t Return, WHAS-TV Says

By Vince Golle

March 27 (Bloomberg) -- Billy Gillispie won’t be back next

season as men’s basketball coach at the University of Kentucky,

WHAS-TV reported, citing people it didn’t name.

The Wildcats lost to Notre Dame in the National

Invitational Tournament quarterfinals. Kentucky finished the

season at 22-14, tied for the second-most losses in the

program’s 106-year history.

From al.com

A domino falls: Billy Gillispie is out at UK

by Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register

Friday March 27, 2009, 2:02 PM

Alabama basketball is quickly becoming a bit player in a larger drama unfolding among two of the more high-profile programs in the conference and nation.

Associated Press

Could Florida's Billy Donovan hold the key for Alabama basketball kingdom?ESPN has reported that Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie will not be back with the Wildcats, and the school will soon announce a coaching change. Read more here from the Lexington Herald-Leader.

This news is certainly not surprising, but it opens the door to a host of other questions looming over the Crimson Tide's search.

The Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy sums up the situation nicely, with the general opinion being that VCU's Anthony Grant is waiting to see what his close friend and former boss -- Florida coach Billy Donovan -- does in regards to reported interest from Kentucky.

If Donovan goes, there is reason to believe Grant would spurn Alabama for Florida, where he was an assistant for 10 seasons and nearly took over two years ago. There is also reason to believe Alabama is seeking an answer from Grant today (BamaOnline.com has reported as much, and that fits with what other sources have been saying).

This situation could finally be nearing a breaking point, with the future of Crimson Tide basketball hanging in the balance.

He, he, he........

Even if Billy D bolts doesn't mean he will stay at UK long enough to coach a game. I love that line, "future of Bama basketball hanging in the balance". I highly doubt this next hire by Mal is going to turn Bama into the next Gonzaga or UConn.

He is a weirdo with a LOT of question marks off the court, imo.

I have seen enough rumors even before he took the UK job about his nights out that make me wonder if he really is a good long term coach

Archived