Great Recruiting video

AUman43

Sounds great. I'm excited to see what this staff can do with a full recruiting season.

Is it possible we see a top 10 recruiting class this year??

judging from what this staff has done thus far, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Some of it will obviously hinge on the results of the 2009 season, but this staff is clearly working their tails off to get the top players in here..

Looks like a good core of recruits coming up. Hope we can sign most or all of those guys. That WR had some ups for sure.

I hope this staff can stay together for a while. IF they can I think we will have something special.

CTT had back-to-back top ten classes just the third and fourth seasons back. Anything less than top ten would have to be considered a failure. Those classes are another reason that anything less than nine wins this season will be a disappointment.

CTT had back-to-back top ten classes just the third and fourth seasons back. Anything less than top ten would have to be considered a failure. Those classes are another reason that anything less than nine wins this season will be a disappointment.

Actually, no.

The problem with those classes is that many of the kids that boosted the star rating of that class and made it a Top 10 one are no longer on the roster. Our last top ten classes, according to Rivals, were in 2006 and 2007. Here's a list of three and four-star players from those classes that either never made the field or won't be on the field this season:

Raven Gray

Bo Harris

Hendrick Leverette

Bryant Miller

Alex Rose

Chris Slaughter

Greg Smith (5-star)

Lee Tilley

Out of a class of 25, that's 8 players, or 32% of that class we won't have. That's one 5-star, five 4-stars and two 3-stars.

Enrique Davis

Johnny Lee Dixon

Carlton Johnson

Jermaine Johnson

Tim Lamb

Wilfred Journet

Chaz Ramsey

Chris Slaughter (re-signed)

Brent Slusher

Ryan Williams

Bailey Woods

Bo Harris (re-signed)

From a class of 30, that's 12 guys or 40% of that class that won't be on the field for us. In that list are seven 4-stars (one of which will be running the ball for Ole Miss this year) and five 3-stars.

Just for fun though, look at what would be our senior class from 2005's signees:

Tray Blackmon (5-star)

Oscar Gonzalez

Mike Harness

Alonzo Horton

Sen'Derrick Marks (only a 2-star, but a 2nd round NFL Draft pick on Saturday)

Jerraud Powers

Preache Rodriguez

Rex Sharpe

Patrick Trahan

Jonathan Wilhite

Out of 22 signees, that's 45% of the class gone. That's one 5-star, four 4-stars (one of which is starting for Ole Miss now), four 3-stars (one of which was a 3rd round NFL Draft pick) and a 2-star who was the best defensive lineman we had and was a 2nd round draft pick.

That's 39% of those signing classes that were ranked 13th, 10th and 7th respectively, all 3, 4 and 5-star guys (except Marks).

If you're basing an expectation for 9 wins on some high ranked recruiting classes a few years back, you'd better find another reason or adjust your expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chizik signed a full complement this time around. Oversigning has become somehow permissible and if some don't work out, then off they go to JC. We need help now. BTW, I see where Jermaine Johnson is still listing us as a favorite. Could it be that he makes it this time around?

Actually, no.

Well according to what I said, actually yes. The classes were top ten. A top ten class this year will almost certainly also include some individual failures. Doesn't mean the class won't be top-ten. If we don't recruit top-ten the effort as a whole will be viewed a failure.

If you're basing an expectation for 9 wins on some high ranked recruiting classes a few years back, you'd better find another reason or adjust your expectations.

Ok, having no reasonable way or desire to dispute the facts you posted, I'll now base my expectations for nine or more wins on karma, Ben Tate and renewed team unity. I still think that without the Franklin fiasco, we'd have won nine or ten last year and the team didn't lose that much, talent wise.

Actually, no.

Well according to what I said, actually yes. The classes were top ten. A top ten class this year will almost certainly also include some individual failures. Doesn't mean the class won't be top-ten. If we don't recruit top-ten the effort as a whole will be viewed a failure.

Ok, having no reasonable way or desire to dispute the facts you posted, I'll now base my expectations for nine or more wins on karma, Ben Tate and renewed team unity. I still think that without the Franklin fiasco, we'd have won nine or ten last year and the team didn't lose that much, talent wise.

You can say they were "top 10" classes all you want, but you'll just be fooling yourself. We had a very low "rate of return," if you will with those classes compared to other school with similar rankings.

You can say they were "top 10" classes all you want, but you'll just be fooling yourself. We had a very low "rate of return," if you will with those classes compared to other school with similar rankings.

This is the point I was making. Those top ten classes were meaningless when you consider all of the major parts of them that never made the field or won't be on the field for us this year.

I was mainly responding to the bold portion. To point to top ten classes as a reason we should win at least 9 games makes no sense when 40% of those classes were lost for various reasons and all of that 40% was just the 3, 4 and 5-star guys we lost. I didn't even count the 2-star and lower ones that we lost.

We may win 9 games. I certainly see the potential if this QB situation gets straightened out. But those so-called top ten classes won't have much, if anything, to do with it.

This is the point I was making. Those top ten classes were meaningless when you consider all of the major parts of them that never made the field or won't be on the field for us this year.

Nobody's class stays intact through four/five years. Look at any college roster and you'll see more freshmen than seniors. Everybody loses some. Every team that oversigns does so because they know some won't qualify. Lost signees is not something that's unique to Auburn.

Did we lose more than normal? Maybe so. A number of them are still around and should help us win games this year.

Nobody's class stays intact through four/five years. Look at any college roster and you'll see more freshmen than seniors. Everybody loses some. Every team that oversigns does so because they know some won't qualify. Lost signees is not something that's unique to Auburn.

Did we lose more than normal? Maybe so. A number of them are still around and should help us win games this year.

Yeah, I'd say 40%, only counting 5, 4 and 3-stars is a good bit more than normal. Those classes were propped up in the ratings by guys that won't be playing for us. The left over 2 and 3-star guys are not going to be enough to be a reason for crazy optimism.

We may win 9 games. I certainly see the potential if this QB situation gets straightened out. But those so-called top ten classes won't have much, if anything, to do with it.

If we win big, Ziemba, Pugh, Tate, Freeman, Burns Caudle, Hawthorne, McNeil, on and on, will certainly have a LOT to do with it. If the guys from those two top ten classes don't come through we'll be lucky to win four.

If we win big, Ziemba, Pugh, Tate, Freeman, Burns Caudle, Hawthorne, McNeil, on and on, will certainly have a LOT to do with it. If the guys from those two top ten classes don't come through we'll be lucky to win four.

That's 8 guys out of 77 we signed. Sure they'll have a lot to do with it. But that's not the same thing as saying we'll win at least nine because of two top ten classes. That implies we've got a bunch of sick talent stockpiled waiting to hit the grass and that's just not the case.

A bunch of sick talent stockpiled would be talking 12 or more wins. I think what we've got, minus CTT's error with Franklin, would have won nine or more last year and is plenty good enough to win nine or more this year. A lot of that will have to do with players that were in the two high;y rated recruiting classes.

There are more than 8, I just stopped there. Coleman, Goggins,..... need I list them all?

Ok Mikey. We're just talking past each other. I think if we get 9 wins we will have over achieved. We're not without talent, but given the players we lost from the classes that should be our star players by now and the ones that are on the team but haven't played anywhere near their hype, it's a reach. Not impossible. Not even "shock the world." Just not likely.

Archived