Dell McGee bans UGA from recruiting Carver High School (GA)

RunInRed

When's the last time you can remember a high school coach banning the state school from recruiting his players?

Is this the same Dell McGee who played for us in the 90s? I just got chills thinking about Fyffe's call ... "Dell Mcgee...Dell McGee!!!"

McGee takes a stand: Georgia no longer welcome at Carver

Carver of Columbus coach Dell McGee has banned the University of Georgia from recruiting his players because quarterback Devin Burns had his scholarship offer pulled on a visit last weekend, just as he was about to make a commitment.

"To protect our kids and my program, Georgia won't be welcome on my campus," McGee told GHSF Daily late Monday evening. "They're not going to recruit anybody."

According to McGee, Burns and Carver teammate Corey Crawford traveled to Athens on Saturday expecting to commit to Georgia.

Burns' parents and four younger siblings accompanied Burns, whose plan was to accept Georgia's offer in person to head coach Mark Richt, McGee said.

When Georgia became aware of Burns' plans, an assistant coach intervened and told Burns that he no longer had a scholarship offer, McGee said. McGee would not identify the assistant.

Crawford, a highly rated defensive end, then decided against committing, McGee said. Several other Carver players had come to Athens to celebrate the moment, McGee said.

"I understand an offer being rescinded, but the way in which it was done, the embarrassment that the family felt with their high expectations of committing that day, I just feel bad for that kid and his family," McGee said. "That part doesn't sit well with me, especially when you know how emotional mothers are when their babies are getting ready to go to college. ... They're heartbroken."

Per NCAA rules, college coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits. Attempts to reach Georgia coaches and communications officials late Monday were unsuccessful.

McGee said he spoke with Richt on Sunday by phone.

"I told him how I felt, and he said he supported my decision and said he didn't blame me," McGee said. "He apologized. He admitted that they screwed up and didn't handle the situation correctly."

McGee said the scholarship offer was made last spring by Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo during Bobo's visit to a practice. Bobo reaffirmed the offer later in the spring, McGee said.

McGee is a former NFL player who played at Auburn. He is close to Georgia assistant coaches Stacy Searels and Rodney Garner, who also played at Auburn. In fact, the three were together on Auburn's undefeated 1993 team, McGee as a player, Searels as a graduate assistant and Garner as an assitant coach. McGee said he didn't want to assign blame to anyone in particular.

"I respect Coach Richt; I know he's a Christian guy," McGee said. "He's a model coach and father. It's just a big breakdown in their communication within the coaching staff at Georgia, and that's kind of sad. I'm sure they'll get it corrected."

In the meantime, McGee says hands off. That includes running back Isaiah Crowell and defensive tackle Gabriel Wright, generally regarded as two of the top 10 juniors in Georgia. They were with Burns in Athens last weekend, and both reportedly have early offers from Georgia.

McGee became Carver's coach in 2005. The school had not had a winning season in 10 years but won the Class AAA championship in McGee's third season. The school has produced several major recruits, including linebacker Jarvis Jones in 2008. Jones signed with Southern Cal.

This season, Carver has four seniors who are rated among the top 100 players in Georgia by Scout.com. Only Southwest DeKalb, with four, has as many.

McGee would not say if the ban was permanent.

"Mark Richt is a class guy; I'm sure he'll write a letter of apology and things of that sort," McGee said. "It's going to take time. I've got to stand up for kids in my program."

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001aN6Kw6WED92ycvptqRQzowTqFj10jBRVZkojmk3hSYfwXjUlE6jYq6n1SgXjtQDiXIekt9IIBwze8is8EkZGeP2Y8OgjAAv1pXsqjeZZBII%3D

http://onlineathens.com/stories/072109/bre_466806774.shtml

I forgot which HS it was, but one in the Miami area banned Alabammer after they fired Shula. That is the only one I remember in recent history.

And, yes...that is THE Dell McGee.

"Barker is going long for Toderick Malone, It's intercepted, Dell Mcgee, Dell Mcgee with the interception!" Next play James Bostic 70 yards.

So classic! Thanks for posting the whole quote...I had a hard time remembering.

Carver DE Corey Crawford will be in Auburn Wednesday afternoon for an unofficial visit. This could get interesting.

• 1 year later...

Didn't last long. Richt and McClendon were at the Carver game this past Friday night. Coach Chizik was also there as was some assistant from Tennessee (can't remember the name).

"Barker is going long for Toderick Malone, It's intercepted, Dell Mcgee, Dell Mcgee with the interception!" Next play James Bostic 70 yards.

I remember this well even though I was kind of a kid.

All I kept saying was knock it down, knock it down! But i couldn't help still loving that he intercepted it.

Then, after Bostic took it to the house, I said, well, if he had knocked it down, Bostic wouldn't have just gone 70.

Good memories.

Didn't last long. Richt and McClendon were at the Carver game this past Friday night. Coach Chizik was also there as was some assistant from Tennessee (can't remember the name).

I wouldn't have expected the ban to be permanent. McGee did have to send a message to UGA and protect his kids. But protecting his kids also means helping them out with any possible opportunities to further their football careers and education, so keeping UGA away permanently would have been a disservice to his players in the long run.

There have been articles since where Richt and the coach talked and everything is ok now

This situation was not as simple as the stories originally made it out to be

Archived