Florida HS team defends 83-0 rout

Nay4AU

People need to lighten up, you got beat move on. I lost in high school 63-0 I didn't cry, I didn't get angry, I saw it as a lose, and moved on. So what

Sounds like he did everything he could to be sportsmanlike...pulled the starters at halftime. Threw one pass the entire second half (with backups), emptied his bench. They had a mandatory running clock throughout the second half. Is he supposed to just tell the backups to go out and take a knee three times and then punt every series?

Plus, many of the scores came on random stuff...turnovers giving them a short field, a kickoff return.

I don't see that this is being a bad sport. If the starters had come out in the 2nd half after being up by almost 50 pts, that would be one thing. But that's not what happened here.

Gary Pigot actually is either misquoted here, or didn't give a very good explanation. The mercy rule in Florida is 35 points. However, the running clock is only mandatory in the FOURTH quarter and if the point differential is 35 or more. IF the point differential is 35 or more at the half, the head coach of the team behind has the option of making the 3rd quarter a running clock. Once the running clock is initiated it shall run continuously with the exception of any timeout taken by a team or officials, injuries, unportsmanlike conduct penalties, a score by either team, and during the period between quarters.

This coach did everything he could to keep the score down. You can't expect kids to not try when they rarely get on the field at all. He doesn't owe an apology to anybody in this situation.

Archived