Rod Smith

Bottomfeeder

Smith, family face disaster

When the San Diego Chargers released rookie Rod Smith three weeks ago, the news was hard to take. But it wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to the South Gwinnett grad when he got home.

The Sunday evening and Monday morning storms that ravaged the Gwinnett area brought with it heavy lightning, and one of the bolts struck the Snellville house where Smith and his family lived at around 5:30 a.m. Monday. The house quickly wasablaze and became a total loss before the fire department arrived.

"By the time (the fire department) got there, the whole house was on fire,"Smith said. "At that point, they were just trying to save the other houses around it."

Smith suddenly wasn't too concerned with his pro football career. He had more pressing issues at hand.

Smith's parents, two younger brothers and a cousin were left without a home,but also without any belongings. Nothing in the house could be salvaged. The Red Cross provided enough money for a small trip toWal-Mart for clothes, but the family is still in recovery mode while living with Smith's uncle near Shiloh High School.

Smith's pit bull, D.J., made it out of the fire, but not much else did.

"We had so much in that house, all my memories," said the 24-year-old, who finished his playing career at Auburn last year. "My football memories from high school and college. All my plaques and trophies. My jerseys.I watched it all burn down to the ground. That's what I'm going to miss the most.

"But as long as my family made it out, that was the big thing."

http://www.gwinnettd...935&TM=54657.53

Man that's pretty rough for man to go through and try to play pro ball, too. I can't help him out, but I'll bet there are some here who can. War Eagle is more that a battle cry.

Thank you for putting this on the front page and getting the necessary information. I can't imagine what he and his family are going through right now, but at least he has a lot of emotional support from friends and the AU Family.

Archived