Bowl Predictions

ECEstudentUA

Interesting matchups. I'm sure you would take it. ;)

Interesting matchups. I'm sure you would take it. ;)

Well of course, I just found it interesting. The person that wrote that must think LSU is going to lose a few more times for them to drop to 5th or 6th in the SEC.

Huh? LSU is in the Capital One Bowl in these predictions. That's the first non-BCS bowl of the SEC affiliates.

I'd like to see Auburn in the Cotton Bowl but I'm not sure if they'll be able to pull it off, it mainly depends on how other teams in the SEC finish. I'd also like to see Auburn in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl against Miami if Auburn doesn't make it to the Cotton Bowl.

I wouldnt mind seeing Auburn vs Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl personally. My girlfriend and I would hate each other for the entire month. She graduates from Okie State in Dec.

A little presumptious if you ask me. First of all, Bammer has to beat LSU and then probably Florida. I don't see them winning the Florida game with or without Tebo.

A little presumptious if you ask me. First of all, Bammer has to beat LSU and then probably Florida. I don't see them winning the Florida game with or without Tebo.

:thumbsup: +1

We've got to get to the Outback! Can't we do that at 8-4 (Beating Alabama of course). I'm from Tampa and we haven't been there since the "gettin off of probation bowl" in 96' against PSU. Rainy, crappy day.

We've got to get to the Outback! Can't we do that at 8-4 (Beating Alabama of course). I'm from Tampa and we haven't been there since the "gettin off of probation bowl" in 96' against PSU. Rainy, crappy day.

The problem is that the Outback and Cotton are on the same level. Cotton will get first pick from teams in the SEC West. I'd much prefer the Outback to the Cotton, but I believe we have to beat Georgia to make that level of bowl. If we do beat Georgia, the Cotton will exercise their right to first choice of who is left in the SEC West and make us go out there. That's what happened when we played Nebraska in the Cotton. The Outback had to take Tennessee when they would much rather have had Auburn. Whether we beat UAT or not, the first three slots will almost certainly go to UF, UAT & LSU, leaving us for the Cotton/Outback setup.

From SECsports.com:

"The Southeastern Conference has agreements to send nine of its member institutions to postseason bowl games following the 2008 season. The winner of the SEC Championship Game will automatically participate in the Bowl Championship Series comprised of the Sugar, Rose, Orange and Fiesta Bowls.

The Capital One (2nd), will then make its pick following the BCS selections. The bowl must select the team with the next best overall record or a team within one win of the team with the next best overall record.

The Outback, Chick-fil-A and AT&T Cotton Bowls will work with the conference office to determine picks 3-5. The Cotton Bowl has the first preference of teams from the Western Division and the Outback Bowl has first preference of teams from the Eastern Division. The Cotton or Outback Bowl can select teams outside of its divisional preference, but must not select them before the opposite bowl selects from its divisional preference. The Chick-fil-A Bowl has the selection of preference following the Cotton and Outback Bowls."

This arrangement sucks for Auburn: Except for UF, we are the closest SEC school to Tampa. Except for UGA, we are the closest SEC school to Atlanta. Yet we are boxed into being at the mercy of the Cotton Bowl way out in Dallas.

The whole bowl tie-in thing is spelled out at SECsports.com.

Archived