Who do you like to come: Cliff Ellis. vs. Chuck Person vs Mr. X ?

aucat

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like to be our new bb coach?

• Chuck Person
    • Billy Kennedy (Murray State_
    • Charles Barkley
    • Scott Drew (Baylor )
    • Mike Anderson (Missouri)
    • Herb Sendek (Arizona State )
    • Gregg Marshall (Wichita State)
    • Dana Altman (Creighton)
    • Travis Ford (UMass)
    • Brad Stevens (Butler)
    • Sam Mitchell (formal NBA head coach, Columbus Native)
    • none of above

Wow, I really like the balanced scoring.

Wouldn't mind him coming to Auburn.

Of course though at this point my favorite is Drew.

Like Titan mentioned, I wouldn't mind Mike Anderson either. Also Herb Sendek. He was recently named PAC-10 Coach of the Year.

Looking up Mike Anderson I noticed on wikipedia

On March 31, 2009, Anderson signed a 7-year extension to stay with the University of Missouri, passing up an offer from the University of Georgia.[3] After the extension Mike Anderson will make around 1.6 Million dollars as his base salary and have a chance to earn over 2.2 Million with incentives. The offer Anderson reportedly turned down from Georgia was worth more than 2 Million a year.

Would we have to buy him out? How would this work?

Depends on what the buyout is. The worth of the contract and a buyout are not necessarily the same.

BTW, Anderson was born and raised in Birmingham.

PAT SUMMITT!!!

Crazy as it sounds, it wouldn't upset me in the least. Might be fun to see what she could do coaching guys.

Depends on what the buyout is. The worth of the contract and a buyout are not necessarily the same.

PAT SUMMITT!!!

Crazy as it sounds, it wouldn't upset me in the least. Might be fun to see what she could do coaching guys.

Yep, I like that aspect. He knows the recruiting grounds and has definately been around the SEC.

PAT SUMMITT!!!

Yep, I like that aspect. He knows the recruiting grounds and has definately been around the SEC.

btw, he's a she

I think Mike Anderson is the best coach mentioned so far, but I don't think he is interested. He interviewed for the opening 6 years ago, and it didn't go well. However, maybe Anderson's top assistant Melvin Watkins might be a consideration.

Other suggestions:

Tony Barbee, UTEP

Phil Cunningham, Mississippi State assistant

I think recruiting is going to be the key. Watkins and Cunningham are top recruiters. Barbee was an assistant under Calipari at Memphis.

I think Mike Anderson is the best coach mentioned so far, but I don't think he is interested. He interviewed for the opening 6 years ago, and it didn't go well. However, maybe Anderson's top assistant Melvin Watkins might be a consideration.

Other suggestions:

Tony Barbee, UTEP

Phil Cunningham, Mississippi State assistant

I think recruiting is going to be the key. Watkins and Cunningham are top recruiters. Barbee was an assistant under Calipari at Memphis.

Maybe he knows where the bodies are buried

PAT SUMMITT!!!

btw, he's a she

He was specifically referring to the bolded portion, about Mike Anderson.

Mark Few is my first choice, but likely only wishful thinking. Brad Stevens would be my second choice.

I don't know....poor Lebo isn't even cold yet and we're feasting on his carcass like buzzards!!! He IS a good guy. I don't disagree with the decision but still have an empty feeling about the whole thing....

I voted in this for Drew, but would be good with Chuck, as I think he would be a fantastic recruiter and he is an Auburn man. Mark Few would be an outstanding get, as would Anderson.

AU needs to shell out the big money for a top notch coach!!

How much do you guys think it would take to get Anderson? $2MM+? He turned down UGA for that amount just last year...

Anderson turns down Georgia, signs new deal with Mizzou

The deal comes after Georgia reportedly discussed paying Anderson a base salary more than $2 million a year, according to a person with knowledge of the offer.

"We hired a coach who probably left $700,000 on the table," Missouri curator Don Walsworth said. "We have a proven coach who has appeal to the citizens of Missouri. He's all about honesty and integrity."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-03-31-anderson-missouri_N.htm

I don't follow college basketball that closely (mostly just pay attention to Auburn and the NCAA tourney), so I am not that familiar with many of these names. I have looked several of them up on wikipedia and a lot of them seem like good choices. To me, here are some of the things we should be looking for:

1. Must have head coaching experience

2. Must have never had a whiff of trouble with the NCAA

3. Must have taken his team to at least one NCAA tournament

4. Must be a good recruiter

5. Must have an overall winning record at least the last few years

6. Would prefer them to have been a head coach for at least four years

7. Would prefer someone who has coached at least two places (to prove success in one place was not a fluke)

8. Would prefer someone in their late 30's to mid 40's (Auburn needs someone youngish and hungry)

9. Would prefer someone with ties to the state of Alabama

I would puke if we hired Anderson. He never interviewed for the Auburn job 6 years ago. He thought he was too good to drive down to Auburn for an interview. Screw him.

I think Anderson would be a great choice, and with the new facility would totally make Auburn the place to be for any prospective recruit. I highly doubt he would leave Missouri at this point though.

I also like UTEP's Tony Barbee, Few, Alford, and Drew.

I really do not want Mike Davis for the reason he did not do well at a Basketball mecca like Indiana, and I really do not want Chuck Person. I love Person, and think he was a great player and incredible representative of AU. However, I do not believe he has ever coached a single game as head coach. Auburn needs to make a statement that it is serious about Basketball with this hire.

Archived