Steele wants release

BZ770

We are currently without a scholarship point guard. I don't see this as good news.

Yes, somebody among the current players and recruits has to go, maybe several somebodys. I don't think this one is a good one to lose. There are others that can't play SEC ball, but every indication is that Steele is a player.

There were rumblings a week or so ago (before Barbee was hired) that some other SEC coaches (I think Pearle was one) were pursuing him. I was hoping that Barbee's hire would settle him down but apparently not. So if Auburn does not grant him a release, he would have to sit out a year, right? The best I would offer him would be a release if it's to a non-SEC school. And oh by the way, if a player has signed a LOI, are other coaches allowed to contact them? I thought that was a no-no.

"And oh by the way, if a player has signed a LOI, are other coaches allowed to contact them? I thought that was a no-no."

It's an absolute no-no, spelled out in plain language right on the standard LOI form. It also tells the player to inform higher-ups if some other coach/school contacts him. Interestingly enough, Tennessee is not among the several schools Steele claims to have heard from.

Archived