Great 35 bowl games next four years....

AUgrad00

Man I am sooo pumped. I cannot wait to see the new Pinstripe Bowl in NY or the Dallas Football Classic in Dallas not to be confused with the Cotton Bowl. How my December would be incomplete without 6-6 teams in completely worthless bowl games. Memo to the NCAA you want to make all postseason games relevant make them playoff games. Otherwise who cares. There are a few traditional bowl games that are cool I get that. Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange maybe a few others. The rest are garbage. Barbee continues to sign dominant players I will be watching hoops.

Memo to BCS honks playoffs google it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/04/23/ncaa-bowls.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Oh and the BCS Honks relased the formula to qualify for the BCS. This is akin to a Doctor informing you that you have cancer then providing you a band aid as treatment or making sure the table is set while the house burns down.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/04/22/bcs-aq.ap/index.html#?eref=sircrc

There are a few traditional bowl games that are cool I get that. Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange maybe a few others. The rest are garbage.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day. I hope Auburn will be in a bigger bowl this time, but if not I'll go wherever. Those lesser bowl games you call garbage are good for the fans, a reward for the players and coach's families and make money for the program. If you don't like 'em, don't watch 'em and don't go. I'll enjoy going to Auburn's game and watching as many of the others as I can because I like college football.

true, just going to a bowl isn't always a big deal but as a football fan I can't get enough post-season action. call me a pigskin slut but since there's 7 months w/out college ball I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoy Texas A&I vs Hawaii State.

Remember though that since they began in the 1920s, bowl games have usually meant virtually nothing. For 5 decades they were played AFTER some...or all...post season polls and teams regularly declined bowl invites because they were expensive trips, they were during final exams and/or BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING. High budget athletic dept.s used them to recruit, reward players or just to get noticed by the big city media. ND for example declined dozens of bowl invitations (including to the first rose bowl, first cotton bowl and first orange bowl) until bowl games became part of every post season poll's equation in the early '70s.

true, just going to a bowl isn't always a big deal but as a football fan I can't get enough post-season action. call me a pigskin slut but since there's 7 months w/out college ball I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoy Texas A&I vs Hawaii State.

Remember though that since they began in the 1920s, bowl games have usually meant virtually nothing. For 5 decades they were played AFTER some...or all...post season polls and teams regularly declined bowl invites because they were expensive trips, they were during final exams and/or BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING. High budget athletic dept.s used them to recruit, reward players or just to get noticed by the big city media. ND for example declined dozens of bowl invitations (including to the first rose bowl, first cotton bowl and first orange bowl) until bowl games became part of every post season poll's equation in the early '70s.

All good points about bowl history. [Got to admit-Auburn going the Bacardi Bowl in Havana in '37 is great piece of history!]

I like the bowl tradition, but I'd keep it at only 12-16 games, max. No need for teams not in the Top 20-30 at season's end to be going anywhere on a 6-6 record. I'd also like to see the Big Four bowls become the quarter finals of an 8-team playoff, and have those four exclusively on New Year's Day. Four on New Year's Day and 8-12 to spread out over the rest of the Holiday Season sounds good. Plus playoff semi's and finals for two weeks after that! :big:

I really do wonder how some of these bowls stay in business because I'll look at shots of the stands and it seems like some of them are half-full at best...I guess there's other $$$ that I'm not figuring in, but it does seem like there's too many now. A team should have to have a minimum of a 7-5 record in a 12 game season to make a bowl game.

I agree with both these posts especially the first that is all I am saying. You water down the achievements of those deserving by allowing all to participate in the post season.

As for the second sorry I dont see how they make money. And I also agree to a point. I actually think a team should be required to be at least 3 games over .500 to be post season eligible.

I will be straight the dissatisfaction I have with the lack of a playoff system has lead me to lose a great deal of interest in bowl games. F'em. As long as they receive great support the NCAA has little reason to push for playoff system. So I refuse to support a flawed system.

College football is good but will NEVER be great until they have a true champion determined on the damn field!!!!!!

I like the bowl tradition, but I'd keep it at only 12-16 games, max. No need for teams not in the Top 20-30 at season's end to be going anywhere on a 6-6 record. I'd also like to see the Big Four bowls become the quarter finals of an 8-team playoff, and have those four exclusively on New Year's Day. Four on New Year's Day and 8-12 to spread out over the rest of the Holiday Season sounds good. Plus playoff semi's and finals for two weeks after that!

I really do wonder how some of these bowls stay in business because I'll look at shots of the stands and it seems like some of them are half-full at best...I guess there's other $$$ that I'm not figuring in, but it does seem like there's too many now. A team should have to have a minimum of a 7-5 record in a 12 game season to make a bowl game.

"I will be straight the dissatisfaction I have with the lack of a playoff system has lead me to lose a great deal of interest in bowl games. F'em. As long as they receive great support the NCAA has little reason to push for playoff system. So I refuse to support a flawed system."

Fine, don't support it. I like the bowls and I'll watch every one that's convenient for me to watch.

Anything less than a 16 team playoff is still a bogus champion and 16 won't happen. I'll enjoy what we've got.

"I will be straight the dissatisfaction I have with the lack of a playoff system has lead me to lose a great deal of interest in bowl games. F'em. As long as they receive great support the NCAA has little reason to push for playoff system. So I refuse to support a flawed system."

Fine, don't support it. I like the bowls and I'll watch every one that's convenient for me to watch.

Anything less than a 16 team playoff is still a bogus champion and 16 won't happen. I'll enjoy what we've got.

I think you're both right. I've been to a number of Auburn (and other) bowl games over the years, and I've (almost) always had a great time. In particular, the Peach / Chik-fil-A bowl is exceptionally well done (not to mention convenient), and the Gator Bowl (before it went to New Year's Day, and thus had top-billing) was always a good time, usually featuring good teams and competitive games.

The problem is that, when compared with a playoff (or, better said, the IDEA of a playoff), the bowl system looks antiquated and, well, wrong. Not to mention that it shines a light on a fundamental (and ugly, to a sentimentalist like me, at least) truth underlying (today's) college football - it's all about $$$ (hording it, that is). Not passing judgment, the BCS powers-that-be have a job to do; I get it. But, like I said, I'm a sentamentalist . . . <sigh>

Any thoughts on whether the advent of the "superconference" may push us closer to / farther away from a playoff?

Exactly. I have been to a number of bowl games to, Peach, Outback, Citrus, Sugar, Music City and I did have a good time and I see where bowl games does have there place. All this said when Barbee's bunch makes the NCAA tournament soon I would rather attend that now those games actually matter, but I digress.

I don't even have a problem with the bowl system for teams that do not qualify for a playoff system, but in comparison to a playoff system its a joke I mean the Rose Bowl brought you to by AT&T and rammed down our throat by ABC and ESPN does not mean crap. The bowl system while great is antiquated.

I saw a story where the NCAA makes 95% of their revenue from the NCAA tournament so just how much jack do you think they pull with a football playoff? So if its about money they can make more through a football playoff. But yet a moron like John Swafford of the ACC says a playoff will effectively kill the bowl games. So @ucking what. The NCAA could make a killing with a college football playoff I doubt lost revenue is an issue.

I mean let me ask all of you one question are you willing to sacrifice such important bowl games at the Independence Bowl, International Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and Emerald Bowl to name a few to have a TRUE Champion decided on the field.

College football needs to ask itself one question what the hell can we do to get a true champion decided on the damn field. Until they answer and work to resolve theis issue the process of awarding a champion in college football has about as much credibility as Simon Cowell, Paul Abdoul and voting on those losers on American Karoake. And until this is changed I just assume Barbee and the hoops team win the final four over any mythical national title in football because at least it would be legit. No playoff=No true Champion.

Oh and I am glad these BCS honks were not around at the pivotal times in American history because seeing there lack of desire to rock the boat and innovation we would probably still have slavery and be under the British rule if they were in charge.

I think you're both right. I've been to a number of Auburn (and other) bowl games over the years, and I've (almost) always had a great time. In particular, the Peach / Chik-fil-A bowl is exceptionally well done (not to mention convenient), and the Gator Bowl (before it went to New Year's Day, and thus had top-billing) was always a good time, usually featuring good teams and competitive games.

The problem is that, when compared with a playoff (or, better said, the IDEA of a playoff), the bowl system looks antiquated and, well, wrong. Not to mention that it shines a light on a fundamental (and ugly, to a sentimentalist like me, at least) truth underlying (today's) college football - it's all about $$$ (hording it, that is). Not passing judgment, the BCS powers-that-be have a job to do; I get it. But, like I said, I'm a sentamentalist . . . <sigh>

Any thoughts on whether the advent of the "superconference" may push us closer to / farther away from a playoff?

Archived