Barbee visits Adonis Thomas

RunInRed

You can't say Coach Barbee isn't going after the biggest fish...

Johnson said Adonis Thomas, whom Rivals.com ranks the No. 3 small forward prospect in the Class of 2011 and the No. 11 overall junior prospect nationally, received visits Wednesday at Melrose from coaches Thad Matta of Ohio State, Billy Donovan of Florida, John Pelphrey of Arkansas, Mike Anderson of Missouri and Tony Barbee of Auburn.

Read more...

ADONISTHOMAS6_11150.JPG

Adonis Thomas, Small Forward

Memphis, Tennessee

6'6 / 205

Offers: Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Memphis, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Tennessee, among others.

I hope we have the roster room to get some of the players we are going after. I am excited about what he is doing. :cheer:

I hope we have the roster room to get some of the players we are going after. I am excited about what he is doing. :cheer:

If you can get a prospect like that, it's easy enough to make room. Scholarships are an annual deal, renewed at the pleasure of the head coach.

If you can get a prospect like that, it's easy enough to make room. Scholarships are an annual deal, renewed at the pleasure of the head coach.

Keep it Classy.

And if you pull scholarships from players you will get a reputation that you will never recover from. It will kill recruiting. Its not a direction you want to go. It may not concern the 5 star type players but certainly the 2-3 star players will take notice.

Mikey does make a valid point though. This happens all the time... A current player is told the truth by a coach about how they will receive little to no playing time due to other talent and will be helped in finding a transfer school.

As a player, I'd rather know the truth by a coach than ride the bench in total confusion.

And if you pull scholarships from players you will get a reputation that you will never recover from. It will kill recruiting. Its not a direction you want to go. It may not concern the 5 star type players but certainly the 2-3 star players will take notice.

Yeah, if you keep doing that down the road. With the coaching change none of these guys on the current roster are Barbee guys. If they don't fit his system they would just be on the bench anyway, what is the difference. They will have the opportunity to transfer to another school that they will be able to play at and still get a scholarship. Just not at Auburn under Barbee. Now if he does this like Saban is doing in his 4th year then yeah he could get a reputation, but that is not the case. Calipari did the same thing at Kentucky, he seems to be faring okay and I don't see too many people complaining about him.

Keep it Classy.

Huh? What's classy or not classy here? It's a fact of college athletic life. Saban pulls several every year and it hasn't seemed to hurt his recruiting.

Most everybody does it and it's usually done with some spin like, "We helped that nice young man find a school and team where he will have a better chance to succeed." The bare bones truth is that his scholarship was pulled because a better prospect needed the space. As noted above, most of the time both the player and the team are better off.

Barbee is going to have to pull some scholarships to even have a recruiting class next year. Right now, if he signs Cothron and nobody quits, he can't get another new player on the court until November of 2012! That's two full seasons and we'll be starting a third before another Barbee recruit hits the floor.

Wanna bet he signs at least five this November that will play in 2011? Where will those slots come from? They will come from guys, either current players or current signees, that are no longer with the Auburn program.

Archived