Ray Drew

RunInRed

Goldberg has the update...

DE Ray Drew likes Auburn's Big Cat, but his decision on where he'll play is on hold

By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

Auburn landed a big recruit Saturday in quarterback Kiehl Frazier, the No. 2 QB in the nation by Sporting News and the No. 4 QB by Scout, but one of the top defensive players visiting for Big Cat Weekend says he'll take his time before revealing which college he'll attend.

Defensive end Ray Drew from Thomas County Central in Thomasville, Ga., said Sunday he'll announce his intentions around signing day in February...but said Auburn made a favorable impression this weekend.

"I'm not sure when I'm going to commit or where I'm going to commit yet, but they're making it very hard'' not to, Drew said.

Some of the 35-or-so players visiting for Big Cat left Saturday. Others are leaving Sunday. We'll be back with updates throughout the day.

Drew knows how the recruiting game is played. He took a world-wind tour before his high school spring break, visiting Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State and Alabama in a week. He's been to Auburn before, too. He was back for Big Cat.

"My parents said I wasn't coming to Big Cat unless I was serious about Auburn, so...''

Drew said Big Cat is the only planned recruiting trip this summer. "Everything else I'm playing my ear.''

Drew gave a level-headed answer on being tempted to commit.

"I've had that feeling maybe two or three times at different schools, and I've had to hold myself, thinking `OK, I was caught up in the moment.' I'm trying not to get caught up in the moment. I want to let a week or so go by and see if I still have that feeling,'' he said.

"Whenever I make the decision, I want to make it sure it is the right one, and that's why I plan on being a late commit - somewhere around signing day, maybe a little after. I want to make sure it's the right decision.''

Overall, though, he said, ``Big Cat went very well. I haven't seen anything like it. Everyone was nice. It was just a great feel and a chance to meet a lot of different recruits, possibly your future teammates. It was just a chance to meet everybody...that's what it really was, a big meeting.''

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/05/de_ray_drew_likes_auburns_big.html

189481.jpg

Ray Drew, DE

Thomasville, GA

6'5 / 243

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, California, Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, South Carolina, South Florida, Tennessee and USC, among others.

Drew knows how the recruiting game is played. He took a world-wind tour before his high school spring break, visiting Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State and Alabama in a week. He's been to Auburn before, too. He was back for Big Cat.

"My parents said I wasn't coming to Big Cat unless I was serious about Auburn, so...''

Drew said Big Cat is the only planned recruiting trip this summer. "Everything else I'm playing my ear.''

Drew gave a level-headed answer on being tempted to commit.

"I've had that feeling maybe two or three times at different schools, and I've had to hold myself, thinking `OK, I was caught up in the moment.' I'm trying not to get caught up in the moment. I want to let a week or so go by and see if I still have that feeling,'' he said.

"Whenever I make the decision, I want to make it sure it is the right one, and that's why I plan on being a late commit - somewhere around signing day, maybe a little after. I want to make sure it's the right decision.''

It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and his parents are giving him good advice.

Maybe we can sic William Andrews on him, that was William's home town. If that fails I'll send my wife to fetch him, she lived there for a number of years. He might turn coaches Rocker and Roof down, maybe even Andrews, but he doesn't want to make my wife angry!

He does sound like a logical kid BUT......

With all the pressure by the schools to get early commits and get their slots filled asap, kids that put off their decision until signing day or as he implied maybe after, are taking a big chance that the school of their choice may be full. I know that schools will always take a "great" recruit regardless of when he decides but if there are equals out there at his position, I hope he doesn't wait to long.

• 2 months later...

Preview video of Ray Drew's HS' upcoming season...

Lil Bro QB #1 Eric Dodson and the Jackets at Midnight Madness!

Eric Dodson and Ray Drew looking to lead the Jackets to a Hopeful State Championship in 2010. Both All-State selections from a year ago look to end there career on top!!!!

Posted by Nick Dodson on Tuesday, August 3, 2010

• 1 month later...

A bunch of non-scientific bits and pieces tells me we are currently in really good shape with Drew.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Non-scientific is all anybody has at this point, so GREAT!

• 3 months later...

Here's an article in the ajc about it. I wouldn't really read anything into it though. Sounds like they could just be screwing around.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/12/29/ray-drews-facebook-exchange-with-christian-lemay-sets-fans-a-twitter/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

Archived