The perfect game that wasn't

SLAG-91

Professionally, I feel terrible for Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga that he did not get to experience the perfect game that he deserved and earned...but the way he has handled himself in the aftermath is absolutely commendable. I probably would have lost my everloving mind after that missed call at first by Jim Joyce...I mean apestuff. He just gave the ump a "he was safe?" look, smiled a bit, then turned around and got the next guy out. That is some composure.

To his credit, Jim Joyce owned it, said (paraphrasing a bit) "I kicked the s*** out of that call" and basically admitted that he cost the pitcher his perfect game. Big, big ups to Joyce for that...lots of umpires would not have been nearly as candid and forthright.

I think I'm more frustrated about it than Galarraga...that would have been the 3rd perfect game in less than a month and it should have been. I wish there were some way to retroactively score the "hit" as an error (apparently there may have been some question as to whether Galarraga fully controlled the ball before stepping on the bag) and at least give the kid a no-hitter.

Professionally, I feel terrible for Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga that he did not get to experience the perfect game that he deserved and earned...but the way he has handled himself in the aftermath is absolutely commendable. I probably would have lost my everloving mind after that missed call at first by Jim Joyce...I mean apestuff. He just gave the ump a "he was safe?" look, smiled a bit, then turned around and got the next guy out. That is some composure.

To his credit, Jim Joyce owned it, said (paraphrasing a bit) "I kicked the s*** out of that call" and basically admitted that he cost the pitcher his perfect game. Big, big ups to Joyce for that...lots of umpires would not have been nearly as candid and forthright.

I think I'm more frustrated about it than Galarraga...that would have been the 3rd perfect game in less than a month and it should have been. I wish there were some way to retroactively score the "hit" as an error (apparently there may have been some question as to whether Galarraga fully controlled the ball before stepping on the bag) and at least give the kid a no-hitter.

I agree you have to commend everyone involved for how they handled the situation. I know nothing can make up for the blown call and the spot he would have had in history but Galarraga did get a new Corvette for his effort.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Jim-Joyce-Armando-Galarraga-make-up-after-blown-call-060310?GT1=39002

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_15220272?nclick_check=1

Tough for the pitcher.

Props for the ump for stepping up.

Maybe it's time for baseball to have instant replay. I'm sure if the ump who made the call could have immediately seen the video he would have reversed his call.

But baseball with instant replays could get really, really long.

Archived