Cam's Comments

TigerGlide

Here are some comments from Cam yesterday:

Newton when asked if he expected to run this much: “I’m just trying to win a football game by any means necessary.”

Newton when asked if expected to throw more than 14 passes in a game: “That goes back to the last question. I’m just trying to win a football game. It’s not up to me. I’m doing what I’m coached to do. If it’s to run it 100 times a game and throw it once, I’m all for it. If we get the W, you won’t hear nothing from me.”

Newton when asked about his attitude at halftime Saturday: “You can’t even imagine how this game could turn out if we just start being accountable for what we’re doing. Everybody has an excuse. Mine was: We’ve got the next drive. The days for those, for that statement, is over. Everybody has to be accountable and step up to the plate and do their job.”

Newton when asked about why he throws so many passes to Darvin Adams to the exclusion of almost everyone else: “It’s not up to me, sir. It’s Coach Malzahn. Gustav Malzahn.”

Newton on what he saw from the Clemson film: “We can’t continuously put ourselves in the situation we have been. Sooner or later, our luck will run out.”

Is it just me or is Cam calling out the coaching staff DURING an interview?!?!?!?!?

Someone tell me that I'm reading more into this than is really there. This wasn't post game, it was Sunday evening.

LINK

Newton when asked if he expected to run this much: “I’m just trying to win a football game by any means necessary.”

Newton when asked if expected to throw more than 14 passes in a game: “That goes back to the last question. I’m just trying to win a football game. It’s not up to me. I’m doing what I’m coached to do. If it’s to run it 100 times a game and throw it once, I’m all for it. If we get the W, you won’t hear nothing from me.”

Newton when asked about his attitude at halftime Saturday: “You can’t even imagine how this game could turn out if we just start being accountable for what we’re doing. Everybody has an excuse. Mine was: We’ve got the next drive. The days for those, for that statement, is over. Everybody has to be accountable and step up to the plate and do their job.”

Newton when asked about why he throws so many passes to Darvin Adams to the exclusion of almost everyone else: “It’s not up to me, sir. It’s Coach Malzahn. Gustav Malzahn.”

Newton on what he saw from the Clemson film: “We can’t continuously put ourselves in the situation we have been. Sooner or later, our luck will run out.”

Is it just me or is Cam calling out the coaching staff DURING an interview?!?!?!?!?

Someone tell me that I'm reading more into this than is really there. This wasn't post game, it was Sunday evening.

LINK

Good observation.....I dont think he was calling them out personally.....but i do think he is not very happy with the play calling not alot of passing which i dont see why not we have to pass t set up the run IMO

LINK

Good observation.....I dont think he was calling them out personally.....but i do think he is not very happy with the play calling not alot of passing which i dont see why not we have to pass t set up the run IMO

I don't have a problem with a player questioning the coaches, but not to the media. He should have asked for a meeting with Gus and Gene.

The reporters are trying to get him to say something bad about the coaches, but he did not fall for their crap. He just wants to win the game is what I got from the quotes.

The reporters are trying to get him to say something bad about the coaches, but he did not fall for their crap. He just wants to win the game is what I got from the quotes.

ding ding ding

We have a winner.

The press & the bammers would like nothing better than dissension and controversy at Auburn.

I didn't read that as him "calling out" the coaches at all. I read it as a man who is telling the media that he trusts and believes in everything he's being coached to do.

I hope your interpretation is right because it sure sounds like he's deflecting blame. Of course its hard to interpret the intent of a comment from the printed text. A video of the interview would have been more telling.

I didn't read that as him "calling out" the coaches at all. I read it as a man who is telling the media that he trusts and believes in everything he's being coached to do.

I hope your interpretation is right because it sure sounds like he's deflecting blame. Of course its hard to interpret the intent of a comment from the printed text. A video of the interview would have been more telling.

here you go bud... http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/video_auburns_cam_newton_on_a.html

Sounds to me like he is saying that he needs to play better and smarter. Everyone has to do their part. Everyone!

Yeah, how can you say that he's deflecting blame when I just said that he wants to be more accountable? I'd say he handled it very well. "We just didnt execute" he says.

There are some hints that he want everything to move at ludicrous speed at all times and that maybe Malzahn is pulling back on the reigns some, but Cam showed a lot of control in not revealing any discontent with our game plan.

He is most definitely NOT calling out the coaches. Read Andy Bitter's column and comments on his blog. Someone there asked Andy if he thought Cam was complaining about coaching and Andy's answer was that Cam is in no way complaining. Andy Bitter was there and he's an honest reporter, not one of those trying to stir up crap.

At 3-0, it's easier, I suspect, to just talk about doing what it takes to win.

Yes, the reporters are baiting Cam, and he's doing a decent job of not falling for their games and tricks.

He could have just said that, because of some questionable decisions on his part, Gustav ( l love how he says that ) has told him to stick w/ DA. Now, if I'm a DC for the rest of those teams on our schedule, I am very interested in hearing that. Might lead me to think that I could use that info.... or it could be exactly what Gustav wants Cam to say....and has some more tricks up his sleeve. Who really knows ?

:gofig:

Yeah, how can you say that he's deflecting blame when I just said that he wants to be more accountable? I'd say he handled it very well. "We just didnt execute" he says.

There are some hints that he want everything to move at ludicrous speed at all times and that maybe Malzahn is pulling back on the reigns some, but Cam showed a lot of control in not revealing any discontent with our game plan.

The video is a better indication of his intent. When I saw it on Twitter, the wording of the Tweet left the impression that he was complaining. I'm glad that its not the case.

Archived