Stopping this offense...

Strychnine

I'll be interested to see how Darvin plays this week. The only game he didn't catch a pass last season? LSU

We will need Darvin to get open this weekend, and Cam not to force it to Darvin if he's blanketed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may be back here Monday or you may not. I'll be here because I've been here every game for a couple of years now.

You will not, however, find me reading or posting on an LSU board. To each his own preferences but I don't go to other team's sites. As far as an LSU site, the few quotes I've seen over the years from an LSU site (tiger poop? tiger whatever) show me that not going there is a great decision.

The forum that he represents, and tigalaya.com are the best two LSU forums I've ever seen in regards to how they generally treat us visiting Auburn folk. Their visit here has been an unusually civil and welcome one. You may be different, and many may agree with you, but I and many others like to talk football with opponents that have something better to say than "AUBURN SUCKS!!! LSU WILL DESTROY YOU!!!" I actually hope these guys stick around, whether they beat us or not. I'd enjoy some LSU fans of BG's caliber around here, and he looks like one of them.

....I would say that all of them are of bg's "caliber".....yep...100% B)

I'll be interested to see how Darvin plays this week. The only game he didn't catch a pass last season? LSU

We will need Darvin to get open this weekend, and Cam not to force it to Darvin if he's blanketed.

There's a Cam parallel with Jason Campbell in 2004. In the early part of 2004, Mix (if I recall correctly) was Campbell's go-to receiver. Against LSU, oddly enough, Taylor's 4th down conversion proved to be the clutch play. Our offense clicked at the end of that game, and the ball started flying to Mix, Taylor, Obamanu, Aromashadu, Williams, and Brown. Having all of those people as legitimate, established threats, is one of the main reasons I thought that our offense was so good that year. I forget which game it was this year, but Adams had been our clutch receiver until Burns, Blake, and Lutzenkirchen stepped up and started making some plays too. Now we've got the ball being thrown to them, Fannin, McCalebb, and the ridiculous athleticism of Cam himself. He's not just trying to force the ball to Adams like he did earlier in the season. I'm thinking that also has a lot to do with why our offense has been getting better as we go along. There are no parts of it that a defense can afford to take lightly.

Looking at things objectively, LSU has some fine defensive statistics. The problem there is that they have accumulated those stats against such offensive juggernauts as Vandy, Tennessee, Mississippi State and the suddenly dysfunctional Gators.

We'll get our 40 points Saturday, it just a question of whether Lee can get 40 for LSU.

WOW!!!

Really.... 40 points?!?!? Auburn has played 7 games this year and only put up 40 points three times (Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe & Arkansas).

Auburn's other point totals were: 17 againts Miss State, 27 against Clemson (in overtime), 35 against South Carolina & 37 against Kentucky.

Just looking at these point totals I don't see where you are getting 40 points from (unless you are grouping our defense in a category with Arkansas State and UL-Monroe)?

But who know? Maybe you guys will put up 40 on us and I will be back here Monday to take my medicine.

GEAUX TIGERS!!

With every meaningful game, our offense has improved and scored more than in the previous meaningful game. (Arky State and ULM don't count as meaningful) While I don't expect to exceed the 65 we scored against Arky, I do expect to hang 40 or better on LSU. Your stats on defense are remarkably similar to what South Carolina's were before they played Auburn. Both team's opponents about the same quality as well.

You may be back here Monday or you may not. I'll be here because I've been here every game for a couple of years now.

You will not, however, find me reading or posting on an LSU board. To each his own preferences but I don't go to other team's sites. As far as an LSU site, the few quotes I've seen over the years from an LSU site (tiger poop? tiger whatever) show me that not going there is a great decision.

Yes, I will be here Monday. Win or lose. I will be back here to congratulate you if Auburn wins. If LSU wins, I will be back to read your board and probably won't say much. I guess you had a bad experience with some other boards or fans? ....I'm here to change your perception of LSU fans that visit your board. Looking forward to a good game Saturday.

WAR EAGLE!

GEAUX TIGERS!

EDIT: I'm hear to learn more about your team. Just as I try to inform you of Claiborne & Mathieu (Drake Nevis earlier in this thread), I would like to know who besides Cam & Nick Fairley should I keep an eye on? I'm not here to start trouble or name call, but rather to try to make my game veiwing experience a better one by being familiar with your team. Most of the things I post will have a source showing where I got my information from.

Yes, I will be here Monday. Win or lose. I will be back here to congratulate you if Auburn wins. If LSU wins, I will be back to read your board and probably won't say much. I guess you had a bad experience with some other boards or fans? ....I'm here to change your perception of LSU fans that visit your board. Looking forward to a good game Saturday.

First off, welcome to AUFamily.

Just to be clear, we've had a pretty rough history with LSU fans on this board. You need only go back to posts prior to the last few years games against LSU to see it for yourself. Trust me, they're still in the database.

Not to generalize, and I am always willing to give people a second chance, it was a reputation well earned.

This years experience has been a pleasant surprise frankly. If your objective is to change perception, I'd say you are on the right track.

All we have ever asked for is civility, you and your brethren have been that for the most part, so no harm no foul.

Now, back to our previous programming...

EDIT: I'm hear to learn more about your team. Just as I try to inform you of Claiborne & Mathieu (Drake Nevis in another thread), I would like to know who besides Cam & Nick Fairley should I keep an eye on? I'm not here to start trouble or name call, but rather to try to make my game veiwing experience a better one by being familiar with your team. Most of the things I post will have a source showing where I got my information from.

Well, I asked TigerFan.com this about Mathieu: I noticed that he's a DB, is he more of a turnover threat, pure solid cover corner, or just one of those guys playing like he's a safety, DB, and LB all in one?

On defense, there's Etheridge and Bynes.

On offense, there's other guys to keep an eye on: Fannin, McCalebb, and Dyer if he plays. As for receivers: everyone knows Adams, but watch Blake and Burns too. That said, most people keep their eyes on Cam.

You hit the nail on the head exactly and thats what I'm talking about with this kid. He isn't a physically amazing freak he just has a nose for the football and the game that isn't taught. He has a natural instinct that is god given and he's always near the ball. He's a true freshman and plays like a senior.

If you can get past the color of his jersey I think most football aficionados will appreciate this kid's talent.

Well, the players don't seem to take this stuff personally, so I don't either. I might be less of a fan than others, or something, but I've always been able to appreciate good plays made by the opponent. I don't like the outcome of them, but a good play is a good play. I'm Auburn through-and-through, but I'm as objective as they come.

I noticed that he's a DB, is he more of a turnover threat, pure solid cover corner, or just one of those guys playing like he's a safety, DB, and LB all in one?

He's a cross between a DB and a safety. Not as big as a safety but plays big like one and likes contact and very aggressive. Plays like his life depends on getting the ball back. Always trying to strip the ball.

EDIT: I'm hear to learn more about your team. Just as I try to inform you of Claiborne & Mathieu (Drake Nevis in another thread), I would like to know who besides Cam & Nick Fairley should I keep an eye on? I'm not here to start trouble or name call, but rather to try to make my game veiwing experience a better one by being familiar with your team. Most of the things I post will have a source showing where I got my information from.

Well, I asked TigerFan.com this about Mathieu: I noticed that he's a DB, is he more of a turnover threat, pure solid cover corner, or just one of those guys playing like he's a safety, DB, and LB all in one?

Mathieu is a freshman with a ton of energy. He is all over the place. For example: Against Florida, he came from his CB spot to blitz the QB. He didn't get the sack, but hurried the QB. He then got up and ran downfield and caused a fumble. He just has a real nose for the ball and makes the most of his opportunities when he gets in the game. He is fun to watch.

Glad to have some civil LSU fans around here! :thumbsup:

While LSU's on offense, keep an eye on Auburn's push from the interior of our D-line. You already know of Fairley whose specialty is the bull rush, but keep an eye on Zach Clayton and Mike Blanc in the interior. Our DEs haven't displayed that nack for getting upfield like Auburn fans are used to but I think that has benefit us in the run game; Nosa Eguae is our most consistent DE this season. Josh Bynes is our eater up the middle, and Zac Etheridge is good against the run as a safety. Demond Washington is our most steady CB, and he is very electric as a KR.

While LSU's on defense, keep on eye on our OL mostly (other than Cam, of course) because they will be the reason Auburn wins or loses. Pay close attention to how they line up, meaning if the line is unbalanced (Wildcat formation, with 2 OTs on the same side and TE by the OG), and how LSU's D lines up because it could be a big play about to be sprung. I'd look for an end around to Terrell Zachery who is our most explosive WR in open space. If LSU starts getting greedy with the man coverage, look for some shots down the field to Q. Carr from the slot. Pay close attention to the mesh point of the handoff during the zone-read plays, and you will understand why it is so hard for defenses to key in on Newton and Auburn's RBs. Newton will ride the RB as long as possible or until the LB steps out of his lane. Our 3rd down playmaker (on longer conversions) is Darvin Adams.

Special teams...look out for Washington as noted above because he's our "feature" KR, but you saw what McCalebb can do with it too against Arky. #13 Craig Sanders and #12 D. McNeal are monsters tacklers on returns as well as Emory Blake.

I'm interested in some insight into LSU's O-line this season vs. last season. Returning starters, injuries, best guys...that deal.

Here is what I have to offer up about our LSU team:

OFFENSE

QB: By far our weakest link on the team. #9 Jefferson & #12 Lee have been spliting time, Jefferson can run the ball when asked to, Lee has come forth as the better passer the last few weeks.

RB: LSU's workhorse is #34 Stevan Ridley (686 yards, 6 TD, 4.9 yrds per carry), he is the second ranked RB in the SEC RB behind only Cam Newton. We have great depth at RB with #42 Michael Ford, #24 Alfred Blue & #16 Spencer Ware. Ford runs very hard much like Ridley, Blue & Ware are more shifty and offer a good change of pace.

WR: Very talented bunch of WR that are not being utilized to their potential this season. #80 Terrence Tolliver leads the team with 22 catches for 286 yards & 2 TDs. #2 Rueben Randle is our future at WR. #10 Russell Shepard is a great talent who we have yet to figure out how to maximize his potential.

TE: #19 Deangelo Peterson is a WR converted to TE. Peterson (6'4", 243 lbs) can create all kinds of problems and is most often a mismatch against who is covering him.

OL: Our OL has been playing much improved from last season. LSU starts two juniors, two sophomores and one senior in the offensive line that averages 6’5”, 325 lbs. No one particular lineman stands out as a huge talent, but the line has really come together this season.

DEFENSE

DL: DT #92 Drake Nevis (6'2", 285 lbs) is the anchor of our line and considered by some analyst to be the top DT in the nation. He is big, physical & capable of causing havoc in the backfield. Nevis has 38 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 forced fumbles and a safety. #95 Lazarius "Pep" Levingston is our other DT. LSU has suffered a huge loss of one of their starting defensive ends for the year in Sam Montgomery. The other starting DE rotating in are #87 Chancey Aghayere, #49 Barkevious Mingo & #94 Kendrick Adams.

LB: #11 Kelvin Sheppard is our field general. He leads the team with 66 tackles and also has 6.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR. Long time SEC defensive coordinator John Chavis has said "He'll make a bunch of calls for us up front. He did last year. He's one of the smartest players that I've had an opportunity to coach." LSU lost its two starting outside LB from last year. They are replaced by #22 Ryan Baker and #23 Stefoin Francois. (Source for Chavis comments: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/08/kelvin_sheppard_brings_level_o.html)

DB: #7 Patrick Peterson needs no introduction. He is the total package that is capable of shutting down his side of the field. He is also a major threat on kick and punt returns. The only occasional problem with Peterson is that he has an issue with cramping. Several times this year he has left games with cramps. LSU has two other very talented CBs in #17 Morris Claiborne (17 tackles, 4 INT) and #14 Tyrann Mathieu (25 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles). Mathieu is a ball hawk that is all over the place and has a knack for being in the middle of the action, keep an eye on him when he enters the game. The starting safety is #15 Brandon Taylor.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: #30 Josh Jasper has made 17 of 20 field goals with a long of 52 yards.

P: #38 Derek Helton has punted 46 times for an average of 40 yards.

-----------------------------------

Hope this helps everyone get a better feel for the LSU players and enhances your game viewing experience this Saturday.

WAR EAGLE!

GEAUX TIGERS!

Here is what I have to offer up about our LSU team:

OFFENSE

QB: By far our weakest link on the team. #9 Jefferson & #12 Lee have been spliting time, Jefferson can run the ball when asked to, Lee has come forth as the better passer the last few weeks.

RB: LSU's workhorse is #34 Stevan Ridley (686 yards, 6 TD, 4.9 yrds per carry), he is the second ranked RB in the SEC RB behind only Cam Newton. We have great depth at RB with #42 Michael Ford, #24 Alfred Blue & #16 Spencer Ware. Ford runs very hard much like Ridley, Blue & Ware are more shifty and offer a good change of pace.

WR: Very talented bunch of WR that are not being utilized to their potential this season. #80 Terrence Tolliver leads the team with 22 catches for 286 yards & 2 TDs. #2 Rueben Randle is our future at WR. #10 Russell Shepard is a great talent who we have yet to figure out how to maximize his potential.

TE: #19 Deangelo Peterson is a WR converted to TE. Peterson (6'4", 243 lbs) can create all kinds of problems and is most often a mismatch against who is covering him.

OL: Our OL has been playing much improved from last season. LSU starts two juniors, two sophomores and one senior in the offensive line that averages 6’5”, 325 lbs. No one particular lineman stands out as a huge talent, but the line has really come together this season.

DEFENSE

DL: DT #92 Drake Nevis (6'2", 285 lbs) is the anchor of our line and considered by some analyst to be the top DT in the nation. He is big, physical & capable of causing havoc in the backfield. Nevis has 38 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 forced fumbles and a safety. #95 Lazarius "Pep" Levingston is our other DT. LSU has suffered a huge loss of one of their starting defensive ends for the year in Sam Montgomery. The other starting DE rotating in are #87 Chancey Aghayere, #49 Barkevious Mingo & #94 Kendrick Adams.

LB: #11 Kelvin Sheppard is our field general. He leads the team with 66 tackles and also has 6.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR. Long time SEC defensive coordinator John Chavis has said "He'll make a bunch of calls for us up front. He did last year. He's one of the smartest players that I've had an opportunity to coach." LSU lost its two starting outside LB from last year. They are replaced by #22 Ryan Baker and #23 Stefoin Francois.

DB: #7 Patrick Peterson needs no introduction. He is the total package that is capable of shutting down his side of the field. He is also a major threat on kick and punt returns. The only occasional problem with Peterson is that he has an issue with cramping. Several times this year he has left games with cramps. LSU has two other very talented CBs in #17 Morris Claiborne (17 tackles, 4 INT) and #14 Tyrann Mathieu (25 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles). Mathieu is a ball hawk that is all over the place and has a knack for being in the middle of the action, keep an eye on him when he enters the game. The starting safety is #15 Brandon Taylor.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: #30 Josh Jasper has made 17 of 20 field goals with a long of 52 yards.

P: #38 Derek Helton has punted 46 times for an average of 40 yards.

-----------------------------------

Hope this helps everyone get a better feel for the LSU players and enhances your game viewing experience this Saturday.

WAR EAGLE!

GEAUX TIGERS!

Great writeup.

Thanks, good insight. I had no idea that LSU had two new starting OLBs this season. That's intriguing.

How many of you LSU guys are going to the game?

Thanks, good insight. I had no idea that LSU had two new starting OLBs this season. That's intriguing.

How many of you LSU guys are going to the game?

Yes, we lost our two starting OLBs from last year (Harry Coleman & Perry Riley).

Wish I could make it to Jordan-Hare, but being a single parent of an 8 year old daughter and 15 year old son makes it hard for me to make out of town games these days. My son has homecoming at his high school this weekend so there was no way I could make it. My step dad and several of my friends are going to be there.

Looking at things objectively, LSU has some fine defensive statistics. The problem there is that they have accumulated those stats against such offensive juggernauts as Vandy, Tennessee, Mississippi State and the suddenly dysfunctional Gators.

We'll get our 40 points Saturday, it just a question of whether Lee can get 40 for LSU.

WOW!!!

Really.... 40 points?!?!? Auburn has played 7 games this year and only put up 40 points three times (Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe & Arkansas).

Auburn's other point totals were: 17 againts Miss State, 27 against Clemson (in overtime), 35 against South Carolina & 37 against Kentucky.

Just looking at these point totals I don't see where you are getting 40 points from (unless you are grouping our defense in a category with Arkansas State and UL-Monroe)?

But who know? Maybe you guys will put up 40 on us and I will be back here Monday to take my medicine.

GEAUX TIGERS!!

It was a good game and the better team won. The two big plays killed us (50+ & 70+ yard runs). As I suggested, Auburn did not score 40 points.

Good job Auburn!! Hop you guys can hold on to that #1 spot all year. There would be nothing better than saying that the only game us LSU Tigers lost this year was to the BCS National Champion Auburn Tigers.

Good luck the rest of the way.

WAR EAGLE!

GEAUX TIGERS!

The game did not play out as I expected. I expected (predicted) 45-27 Auburn. LSU's punter did an amazing job because Auburn clearly got the yards I thought we would, enough to make the 40-point level. That punter, combined with our return guy not trying to catch the ball made a big difference.

Another thing I did not anticipate was Auburn's defense holding LSU to three first downs in the second half. Miracles never cease!

Special Teams are the weakness to our offense. Even-though we gained like a billion yards on LSU, we were only able to put 24 points on the board. Special teams were also the thing that kept Kentucky alive.

Archived