Rule question

ShocksMyBrain

My dad and I just finished re watching the Iron Bowl, and we had a question regarding the kickoff after the 2nd(?) TD. I believe it was a squib into the endzone by Byrum. The ball bounced off the turf between two Bama players and settled in the endzone. The ball was not touched(from what we could see) until Auburn reached it.

Do the players not have to "down" the ball for it to be a touchback? Technically it would be a live ball though if it touched no opposing players and the kicking team recovered it, right?

Just curious about the rules surrounding that scenario.

My dad and I just finished re watching the Iron Bowl, and we had a question regarding the kickoff after the 2nd(?) TD. I believe it was a squib into the endzone by Byrum. The ball bounced off the turf between two Bama players and settled in the endzone. The ball was not touched(from what we could see) until Auburn reached it.

Do the players not have to "down" the ball for it to be a touchback? Technically it would be a live ball though if it touched no opposing players and the kicking team recovered it, right?

Just curious about the rules surrounding that scenario.

A kick fielded in the endzone is live and the player can elect to run it out of the endzone. A loose ball that enters the endzone is dead when it enters the endzone. It's live while in the field of play, but the endzone is not part of the field of play.

Archived