That's a wrap; Heisman belongs to Cam

RunInRed

That's a wrap; Heisman belongs to Cam

Done deal. Finished. Send in those ballots; there's no reason to wait.

Why would you? What good would it do? What could happen in the next week of college football that would change your mind?

I ask these questions of Heisman Trophy voters, myself fully incapable of understanding how even one could deem Cameron Newton anything but the most outstanding player in college football. Don't get me wrong; I say this with nothing but respect for what Oregon's LaMichael James, Boise State's Kellen Moore, Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon and Stanford's Andrew Luck do on the football field. Perhaps, in another year, any of these four outstanding college football players could have won the Heisman. But this is not any other year. It's 2010, and the junior quarterback from Auburn is absolutely, positively the player who deserves college football's most prized individual award.

I watched the first half of the Auburn-Alabama game sitting in a restaurant at an airport in Hartford, Conn., on Friday afternoon. The Tide were rolling, up 24-0 at one point. At the half, it was 24-7, and that's when, unfortunately, I had to make my way to board a plane to Charlotte, N.C., to fulfill my weekly television duties for ESPNU and the SEC Network. It was killing me, sitting on that plane, my PDA turned off as ordered, not knowing what was happening in Tuscaloosa. Then, as we were high in the darkness somewhere over Virginia, the pilot said the following, "College football fans, this might interest you. Final score: Auburn 28, Alabama 27." I almost went head-first into my tray table. I asked the flight attendant, "Did he say final?" "Yes," she said, "it's a final." Wow. He did it. He led his team in another close game, on the road, to victory -- in Tuscaloosa, no less. He ran or passed for each of Auburn's four touchdowns and proved, once again, that he is immune to pressure.

I'll be honest with you: I was ready to give Newton the Heisman Trophy even if Auburn had lost Friday. Newton didn't have to be stellar (again) to remain the nation's most outstanding player through Week 13. In my book, he had done enough through 11 games to remain No. 1. But leading his team back from 24-0 down at Bryant-Denny Stadium with national title hopes hanging in the balance should earn him every No. 1 vote in existence. It shouldn't be close.

The Heisman Trophy isn't just about stats. Yes, stats do matter and always have, but a Heisman Trophy winner is as much a leader as a stat-accumulator. We have all the evidence we need to establish Newton's incredible on-field leadership. Now, as for those stats …

Newton's three touchdown passes on Saturday give him 24 through 12 games. Put those up against just six interceptions and you have a ratio any coach would be happy with. But we know that Newton isn't leading this race because he can throw a football. He's leading it because of what he does with his legs (which, by the way, leads to being an effective passer). He's run for 18 touchdowns this season. That is exactly twice as many rushing touchdowns as Onterio McCalebb, who's second in rushing touchdowns for the Tigers with nine. And please, let's not forget Cam's "Heisman Moment," his lone touchdown catch of the season. Kodi Burns' beautifully thrown ball to the corner of the end zone in Oxford, Miss., on Oct. 30 was caught by Newton as he jumped over his Ole Miss defender. The play solidified Newton as the Heisman race leader, though most had him out in front well before that. That touchdown catch combined with his passing and rushing touchdowns give Cam Newton 43 touchdowns this season. He has accounted for 43 of Auburn's 65 touchdowns this season. Folks, that is 66 percent! Auburn is one win away from the BCS National Championship Game and one player has accounted for 66 percent of his team's touchdowns? Hello, Heisman!

Typically in this weekly column, I go into some detail on the achievements of others in the Heisman Trophy race. This week, I'll save my time (and yours). There is nobody else in this race.

For Cam Newton, I have one word: Congratulations.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman/

Guys. Be sure to click on articles like this so they register hits and get the good recognition they deserve. The higher ups don't care about content, only clicks. Click it. Now. Do it. Go. Are you there yet?

Great article too!

With all the "media" out there I must say I've always liked Dari...not just his weekly Heisman column, but on Sportscenter, etc. He has his head on straight.

:thumbsup: Dari Nowkhah

you obviously havent heard him on WJOX The Opening Drive the past few weeks. He has essentially said Cam is guilty of the allegations on the radio due to the whole "smoke, fire" saying.

No I don't listen to JOX...I think it'd drive me crazy. That begs the question then why would he seal his envelope for Cam if he thinks he is undoubtedly guilty? Well, I will be listening to him a little more closely I guess to see what he really thinks... <_<

Spurrier is voting for Cam...

Does #Cam deserve the Heisman? "Certainly. I think he's been the most dynamic player in college ball this year." And Spurrier does vote

@jzenor

By leading Auburn to a come-from-behind win over Alabama today, Cameron Newton has clinched the 76th Heisman Trophy.

There is nothing that can happen on the field that will cause the current dynamics of the race to change. Auburn faces South Carolina in the SEC title game next week, but Newton just has to hold serve. This race is all over, but for the voting.

It’s possible that at some time in the future, there will be repercussions relating to NCAA violations, but that has nothing to do with the here and now and it won’t stop Newton from making his acceptance speech in New York at 8:55 p.m. on December 11.

Congrats to Cam Newton, Heisman winner to be.

http://heismanpundit.com/

hahahaha, the ESPN back-peddling continues. Finally realized all that lawyer stuff about spreading gossip without regard to the whole truth costing Cam the Heisman equals something called libel damages, huh?

Actually it's kind of brilliant, ESPN can claim story retraction w/out actually issuing one!

Barnhart...

Finally, I'll leave you with this. Newton has been the most scrutinized player in recent college football history. We have watched him play 11 great football games and wondered if he would eventually crack under the glare of a negative spotlight. But after a difficult first half in a tough atmosphere, he completed 8 of 10 passes for two touchdowns and ran for a third in the second half. In case any doubters remain, he proved again Saturday that he is the best player in college football. Beat South Carolina in Atlanta on Dec. 4 and the case -- at least for the Heisman Trophy -- should be closed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14358949/auburns-selfbelief-fourthquarter-mojo-work-again

My Heisman Ballot right now....

1) Cam Newton

2) LaMichael James

3) Andrew Luck

4) Kellen Moore

I'm a Duck through and through but Cam is the best player in the country. It's not even close IMO. The Alabama comeback completely erased any doubts anybody could have had.

My Heisman Ballot:

1) Cam Newton

2) Andrew Luck

3) LaMichael James

4) Justin Blackmon

I'll go with Blackmon over Kellen Moore. He deserves to be invited to New York. Only way I could see a change is if Oregon were to fall to OSU.

No offence Duck but I honestly think Kellen Moore is the only other player who deserves to be invited to NYC. He is a great passer...though I haven't seen much of Luck at all this year. I'd say...

1)Cam

(gap for emphasis)

2)Moore

3)James

No offence Duck but I honestly think Kellen Moore is the only other player who deserves to be invited to NYC. He is a great passer...though I haven't seen much of Luck at all this year. I'd say...

1)Cam

(gap for emphasis)

2)Moore

3)James

Sorry but I don't see why anyone should be invited to New York that hasn't played but a half in the majority of his team's games this season. Also, sorry to anyone that would argue that he only plays a half bc he (and his team) are THAT good. Simply not true. Kellen Moore = Brandon Cox (in the WAC obviously)

1)Cam

(gap for emphasis)

2)Moore

3)James

Luck's a better passer then Moore IMO. I see him tearing it up on Sunday's in the very near future.

And there is absolutely no possible way that LaMichael James doesn't even deserve an invite to NYC. He's got nearly 1,600 yards, 19 TD's and is averaging 6+ yards a touch. His worst game this year was 91 yards and a TD and he's broken 100 and scored in every other game this year as well as last year.

Archived