NYU student sleeps in library for eight months?

Guest AuNuma1

Guest AuNuma1

And yet he can afford the hosting costs for his website and that nice laptop? Sounds like he picked the wrong school to go to if he wasn't going to spend any time trying to get scholarships or grants etc. I just don't buy it. He could've gone to a community college and save up or something! Geeze I bet he smelled like funky B.O. Eight months with an occasional shower? Yack! icon8.gif

CNN.com

Frankly if you want me to be honest i can totally sympathize with this guy. I was living in a town home with a friend of mine and she owned the townhome. We got into about how the bills were being handled and how she was as a person. I moved out in May with nowhere to go. i loaded my car up with everything i could possibly shove in there and put my furniture in a storage shed. I had already signed a lease on an apartment for the fall, but it was under renovation so i was unable to move in August. I was working for Intramurals at the time and in summer school so i was unable to move home. Until i could find a place to sublease until my new apartment was ready, i slept in my car. I was able to bathe and change clothes and everything in the Intramural Bathrooms b/c i had a key and occasionally would borrow a friends shower. I did this for a month and man it sucked. I was and always have been way to proud o ask people for help. My life had been at rock bottom for a while and i was tired of people trying to make me feel better and trying to console me(my dad died the february before all this happened) and i sure wasnt going to burden my mother with all my problems. I learned a good deal about taking control of my life and being Independent and taking care of myself and my life through all of this.

I understand criticizing someone for this if thy arent doing anything to help themselves but if they are working as hard as they can and still cant get by it's tough. Its a cruel world out there and if you've ever experienced something like this thenyou can fully understand butuntil then you have no clue how hard it is. Supper out of a vending machine gets old.... i used to love cheese curls now i hate them!

Guest AuNuma1
Four jobs! Still didn't have his hand out. Kind of guy you want to help.

That's true...I'll agree with that. That just proves he's not lazy.

However, that doesn't prove he's full of common sense. How does it make sense to go off to college at NYU where it costs $31k a year when you know you can't afford it and you have no help from your parents (which is unfortunate)? How are you supposed to keep your grades up when you have to work four jobs just to be able to eat (and obviously not counting rent)?

My point was that I think he could've made a better choice and go somewhere a little less expensive where he could've saved up. Four jobs AND full-time school? That's crazy and completely unnecessary.

And I understand what you're saying tigger and I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. However, I'm not saying that my parents didn't make smart decisions when I was young either. My parents were able to pay for me and my brother's college education on 1987 rates using the PACT program...a decision they definitely don't regret. But that's beside the point...

I applaud the kid for getting a college education on his own but common sense would've prevented him from being homeless. :blink:

Four jobs! Still didn't have his hand out. Kind of guy you want to help.

That's true...I'll agree with that. That just proves he's not lazy.

However, that doesn't prove he's full of common sense. How does it make sense to go off to college at NYU where it costs $31k a year when you know you can't afford it and you have no help from your parents (which is unfortunate)? How are you supposed to keep your grades up when you have to work four jobs just to be able to eat (and obviously not counting rent)?

My point was that I think he could've made a better choice and go somewhere a little less expensive where he could've saved up. Four jobs AND full-time school? That's crazy and completely unnecessary.

And I understand what you're saying tigger and I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. However, I'm not saying that my parents didn't make smart decisions when I was young either. My parents were able to pay for me and my brother's college education on 1987 rates using the PACT program...a decision they definitely don't regret. But that's beside the point...

I applaud the kid for getting a college education on his own but common sense would've prevented him from being homeless. :blink:

That's true. But at a young age, we all see things differently. I still get the feeling there is more to the story than just what was written??

Archived