Mark My Word 2011

DaddyBoyAU

LSU won 11 games last year with absolutely atrocious play from the QB position. Jefferson was awful last year. If you assume the team is as talented as it was last year (fair assumption) and believe Mettenberger or Jefferson will play at an average level, that means LSU is getting appreciably better QB play than last year. If they can win 11 with below average QB play, they don't need a lot to get over the hump.

Team chemistry is the big unknowable (and often overlooked) factor in football. It's a huge reason behind the success of both the 2004 and 2010 Auburn teams. Jefferson standing up in the spring and taking responsibility for leading the team, then leading them into a barfight with pending felony assault charges, could irreparably damage team chemistry, or it could cause them to rally around one another and be even better. I can see a hugely successful (possibly national champ) 2011 LSU team, but I can also see this devolving into another 2010 Texas/Florida debacle. I'm not willing to make a bold prediction either way.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team chemistry is the big unknowable (and often overlooked) factor in football. It's a huge reason behind the success of both the 2004 and 2010 Auburn teams.

There are no truer words. It's a team thing and coaches can only encourage and provide the foundation for such things to develop. If we can be fortunate enough for the carry-over from 2010 to make those guys who were in on last year's magic realize what they had and share it with the new folks, the sky's the limit.

It took six years to repeat that this last time. Let's do it in one!

LSU won 11 games last year with absolutely atrocious play from the QB position. Jefferson was awful last year. If you assume the team is as talented as it was last year (fair assumption) and believe Mettenberger or Jefferson will play at an average level, that means LSU is getting appreciably better QB play than last year. If they can win 11 with below average QB play, they don't need a lot to get over the hump.

You're right. For some reason I can just never buy into the LSU mystique, even when they post double digit wins every single year. Heck, they even beat the best coach and the best 3-loss team in history last year :P

I guess I just take offense to just how big the gap between LSU and everybody else is perceived to be.

You're right. For some reason I can just never buy into the LSU mystique, even when they post double digit wins every single year. Heck, they even beat the best coach and the best 3-loss team in history last year :P

I guess I just take offense to just how big the gap between LSU and everybody else is perceived to be.

As do I. It's one of the biggest myths in college football for the last 7-8 years. lsu is no more talented than any of the other top 6 programs in the SEC. They also lost their best defensive player from last year, still no QB and no running back. I'll be surprised if lsu loses less than 4 games.

As do I. It's one of the biggest myths in college football for the last 7-8 years. lsu is no more talented than any of the other top 6 programs in the SEC. They also lost their best defensive player from last year, still no QB and no running back. I'll be surprised if lsu loses less than 4 games.

Its not about a talent gap with LSU, its about an extremely favorable schedule where, from what I remember, they don't play any two tough games back to back.The hardest stretch is uf, ut, au, ua. But even those alternate home/away. We have a good shot at beating them but that's a tall order in death valley. I'm afraid to say that bama has the best shot at them this season.

Its not about a talent gap with LSU, its about an extremely favorable schedule where, from what I remember, they don't play any two tough games back to back.The hardest stretch is uf, ut, au, ua. But even those alternate home/away. We have a good shot at beating them but that's a tall order in death valley. I'm afraid to say that bama has the best shot at them this season.

Funny cause you are the only one I've heard mention a favorable schedule when it comes to lsu. All the media idiots and most here spout off about this vast talent pool they allegedly have. I agree the schedule is favorable for them, but I still see them as a 3-4 loss team.

• 1 month later...

One more: Mark My Word...Rent Trichardson will be held to less than 75 yards rushing against Auburn

I can believe that. A worse Auburn team than this helf Heisman Ingram to virtually nothing.

Archived