"Hello, this is my daughter Apple"

LONDON (Reuters) - Oscar-winning Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow has given birth to her first child, a daughter named Apple, according to a spokesman.

Paltrow, 31, and her British husband, Chris Martin, 27, lead singer for the band Coldplay, said they were "ecstatic" after the baby was delivered Friday following a lengthy labor at a London hospital.

"We are 900 miles over the moon," the couple said in a statement released on Saturday by Martin's spokesman Murray Chalmers. "We would like to thank everyone at the hospital who have looked after us amazingly."

The couple named their first child Apple Blythe Alison Martin. She weighed 9 pounds, 11 ounces at birth.

"Both mother and baby are very well," the statement added.

Paltrow, who was once engaged to Brad Pitt and dated actor Ben Affleck, met Martin backstage at a Coldplay concert in 2002.

The couple married in a secret ceremony in Southern California last December.

Friends say Martin proved a huge support for Paltrow after the sudden death in October 2002 of her father, film director Bruce Paltrow.

Martin and the quartet Coldplay have enjoyed huge global success since their acclaimed debut album "Parachutes" in 2000. They won a coveted Grammy Award for "Clocks" in February.

Paltrow won the Academy Award as best actress for her 1998 role in the hit film "Shakespeare in Love" and recently played the late poet Sylvia Plath.

I'm all for having a name that isn't in the Top Ten Baby Names of the Year, but "Apple"? :roll:

This kid is really going to let her parents hear it at about age 11 or 12.

9 pounds, 11 ounces

OOOOOOWE

I hope she had a C-Section. ;)

Daniel was 8 - 15 and NOT alot of fun to push out.

Lots of fun now though. :D

I shouldn't make fun of this, becuase they are my friends and I love them, but here goes anyway...

Necessary background - one of my oldest guy friends married this bizarre woman - sweet, but a VERY bad childhood made her... different, shall we say (mother and father divorced, father left and started whole new family, mother dies and courts had to FORCE the father to take her and two brothers. Dad said they could live with him but all he would provide them was room and board - she was 11.) So she didn't have much of a true childhood, so she is very childish herself now. VERY VERY VERY smart, but VERY VERY VERY immature for her age (30).

Anyway they have been married five years, unable to conceive, so they adopted a baby girl from China - they just got her in April. Child is cute, 9 months old - and they named her Kiki. KIKI. As in "Kee-Kee". Kiki is not short for anything - just Kiki. The mom picked out the name - it is from one of those wild Japanese cartoons that are on the sci-fi channel and stuff. Kiki Lynn is her first and middle name.

WHY would they do this to this little girl!!! She is going to be called "Kinky" for the rest of her life once she gets to school age. Both her parents are very smart geeks, so odds are good she will be different too, and that will NOT help her social status. I have just had to bite my tongue - not my business, but DANG! I wanted to grab my friend and shake him and say "STOP HER!!" How many Supreme Court justices are named Kiki? Would you trust a neurosurgeon named Kiki? SCARY THOUGHT! :blink:

My mother had a woman come into her office one day witha child name Placenta. That is the Gods honest truth. She said that immediately after the baby was delivered she heard someone say the word placenta and she thought it was a beautiful word :unsure: .

My mother had a woman come into her office one day witha child name Placenta. That is the Gods honest truth. She said that immediately after the baby was delivered she heard someone say the word placenta and she thought it was a beautiful word :unsure: .

Wow!!! That's pretty disgusting.

Good thing they didn't say "after-birth"! :o

How do you think they came up with the name Apple? When you think about it thats crazy. I wonder if she craved apple's durin her prgnancy? And then I thought is this just a publicity stunt, who knows I hope they call her Alison.

Two twin sisters were born in South Alabama a while ago. Their Mom wanted "Sexy names for them."

She went and got a PDR. Guess what the kids Names are?

Sophius and Gunnrhia, NO JOKE!

Also, from the Boss' sister, two kids that have gone thru her class: Two sons, not twins of one mother here in Decatur.....

Lemonjello and Orangello, I think everyone thinks it was the first thing she had after delivering them both....

My mom taught a Lemonjello in Anniston. She also had Leonardo and Flenardo, twins. They were in her 6th grade class until one or both (I forget) was arrested and expelled for sexually assaulting another little boy in the bathroom. :blink:

I once met a young woman who had named her child, Tomeajoy. She explained that her daughter was: "to me, a joy."

I was speechless.

Can you imagine trying to pick up ladies with the name speck wildhorse? The names wildhorse..............speck, Wildhorse. :blink:

Archived