Loading the box

Ronin

In this article from the Montgomer Advertiser,: My link Thorpe says that they knew MSU didn't want to pass the ball and were going to run it in the 4th quarter. Why couldn't Auburn stop the run? Were all the option tosses unexpected? Are the coaches too worried about the secondary to play the run more aggressively? Are we really more out-manned than Utah State was against us?

I know we were tired at the end of the game but part of the reason they had 90+ plays was that we couldn't stop the run.

A product of Roof's bend but don't break defense schemes! Sorry but the guy just doesn't seem to GET IT! The LBs & DBs game MSU way too much cushion when we knew it was going to be either the option or QB draw but yet it did not seems like any adjustments where made. When Relf did throw the ball he was off on at least 2 or 3 throws...so why not MAKE THE KID THROW THE BALL...Load the box and make him throw to win!

I think...minus a 3 or 4 coverages our secondary did a decent job...one or two of those times they got beat..they got a little lucky b/c Relf over threw the WR. I agree in that we need to concentrate on stopping the run..that's what helped us win the NC last year in spite of the fact our defense was not that good...we where able to stop the run on a consistent basis. I'm just not a fan of Roof and his defensive strategy...never have been. I don't know if Chiz has a hand in the philosophy but it needs to be CHANGED QUICKLY! The game against MSU proved these guys are very talented but coaches would be doing them a bit of dis service if they don't set them up with the right schemes to play to our strenghts as a defense!

A product of Roof's bend but don't break defense schemes! Sorry but the guy just doesn't seem to GET IT! The LBs & DBs game MSU way too much cushion when we knew it was going to be either the option or QB draw but yet it did not seems like any adjustments where made. When Relf did throw the ball he was off on at least 2 or 3 throws...so why not MAKE THE KID THROW THE BALL...Load the box and make him throw to win!

I think...minus a 3 or 4 coverages our secondary did a decent job...one or two of those times they got beat..they got a little lucky b/c Relf over threw the WR. I agree in that we need to concentrate on stopping the run..that's what helped us win the NC last year in spite of the fact our defense was not that good...we where able to stop the run on a consistent basis. I'm just not a fan of Roof and his defensive strategy...never have been. I don't know if Chiz has a hand in the philosophy but it needs to be CHANGED QUICKLY! The game against MSU proved these guys are very talented but coaches would be doing them a bit of dis service if they don't set them up with the right schemes to play to our strenghts as a defense!

It seems that we both agree except I'm not convinced that the problem is that Roof is incompetent. I keep thinking there is something else that makes him not want to load up the box. I know that we have a young team, and I'm not expecting them to be a top 10 (or even a top 25) defense but I have trouble believing they are so overmatched they can't stop the run even when they know it is coming. If I'm right then the problem should be fixable. I just don't know enough to know how.

Archived