OSU vs BAMA - As of today these are the stats

Roll Tide Rev

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

OSU 11-1 Loss to Iowa St.

Versus ranked teams

- Current BCS ranked teams: OSU - 4; Bama - 4

- Teams ranked in top 25 at the time of the game during regular season: OSU - 4; Bama - 5

On Bowl Teams - Perhaps more indicative is looking at opponents playing in bowl games - REAL bowl games; not joke bowl games. So, looking at significant bowl games (those played on or after New Year's Eve) in which regular season opponents appear:

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

Got this data from another board.

What do you all think?

The Date of bowl games is irrevelant because they are now spread out for TV. You only have 5 on New Year's day(Jan 2 this year) any more. You even have non-bcs teams playing on Jan 8. The New Years day bowl thing is a farce now.

I would argue the current ranking of a team is a more accurate representation of that team than their ranking weeks ago.

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

Versus ranked teams

- Teams ranked in top 25 at the time of the game during regular season: OSU - 4; Bama - 5

On Bowl Teams - Perhaps more indicative is looking at opponents playing in bowl games - REAL bowl games; not joke bowl games. So, looking at significant bowl games (those played on or after New Year's Eve) in which regular season opponents appear:

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

What do you all think?

Did you see the FG that Oklahoma St. "missed" that would have beat Iowa St.? Just wondering. Be sure to look at the view 38 sec into the video.

Problem is those dates are set up by tie ins. The only way it would be fair if all the bowls chose who they wanted.

The bowl games in Bham and Mobile are played after New Years Day but I don't really consider those high standard bowl games. Let's not forget that things such as the way teams travel doesn't play a major factor into selection. Your bowl game has to chose between taking Ohio State or Northwestern.... who are you going to pick?

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

Versus ranked teams

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

What do you all think?

Did you see the FG that Oklahoma St. "missed" that would have beat Iowa St.? Just wondering. Be sure to look at the view 38 sec into the video.

Yea that looks like a bad call for sure. I would be mad to tell the truth.

But since that can't be fixed and voters could not go by that, now the stats are in our favor by a little.

BG! We agree on something! That's a useless stat unless a major injury derailed a team and the game was legitimately a quality win. That didn't happen for any team these two played. The "date of the game" bowl stuff is even more useless. All that shows is which conference had/has the pull to have better bowl ties, which basically boils down to "who travels better." Answer: the SEC. Therefore, bad SEC teams (see: Auburn and Florida) play in bowl games with "good" dates (Peach and Gator Bowls, respectively). That doesn't make either team any better than their combined 11 losses say they are.

Okie State played a tougher schedule. Just compare the games.

(1) LSU - by far the best game on either slate

(2) Arkansas/KSU - we'll find out which was a better team soon enough

(3) Oklahoma/Baylor - both finished in the Top 15

(4) PSU/Texas - in fairness, the wheels came off the wagon for PSU, but it's unclear whether that was all the scandal or just playing against better teams. They beat one team with a winning record (7-5 Iowa).

(5) Auburn/Mizzou/Tulsa - flawed teams that won more than they lost

(6) A&M/UF/MSU/Vandy/ISU - mediocre teams that are, at best, above average on one side of the ball. Oddly, this is the group that caused Okie State the most trouble.

Look at those tiers. I would argue that only the first five are "good wins" worth mentioning. That breaks 6-4 Okie State's way. More quality wins. Clearly worse loss. If KSU, OU, Baylor, and Tulsa all garner wins over Arkansas, Iowa, Washington, and BYU (respectively) that schedule looks even more lopsided in favor of Okie State.

I think you're giving OU too much credit.

I don't know if the loss of Broyles melted that team or what. But they're AWFUL. The loss to Texas Tech makes a lot more sense now.

I won't be remotely surpised to see KState beat Arkansas. I think that team is tougher than just about anyone gives them credit. That's going to be a track meet, and whoever has the ball last or turns it over least is going to win.

As for OU, too much credit? Maybe Baylor is a shade better, but OU would manhandle Auburn or Penn State. Clearly a cut above those two teams.

I won't be remotely surpised to see KState beat Arkansas. I think that team is tougher than just about anyone gives them credit. That's going to be a track meet, and whoever has the ball last or turns it over least is going to win.

As for OU, too much credit? Maybe Baylor is a shade better, but OU would manhandle Auburn or Penn State. Clearly a cut above those two teams.

KSt won every single one of their wins by 1 score or less. Including their 10-7 whopper over eastern washington. The managed 120 yards of offense vs Texas. Arkansas will paste them.

As far as OU, they can't manhandle anyone. Especially not PSU. PSU isn't fancy, but they are tough. Tough is the opposite of what OU is. That's the softest team I've ever seen. SOFT. Zero heart. Those guys gave up at halftime.

Something took the air out of that team halfway through the year. I don't know what it was, but that's a shell of the team that started the season.

Did you watch the game sat night? Were you one of those people who said "man look at that awesome Ok St defense that made Landry Jones throw the ball backwards!"

KSt won every single one of their wins by 1 score or less. Including their 10-7 whopper over eastern washington. The managed 120 yards of offense vs Texas. Arkansas will paste them.

As far as OU, they can't manhandle anyone. Especially not PSU. PSU isn't fancy, but they are tough. Tough is the opposite of what OU is. That's the softest team I've ever seen. SOFT. Zero heart. Those guys gave up at halftime.

Something took the air out of that team halfway through the year. I don't know what it was, but that's a shell of the team that started the season.

Did you watch the game sat night? Were you one of those people who said "man look at that awesome Ok St defense that made Landry Jones throw the ball backwards!"

Lol so funny. Everyone Alabama played is tough and tested and the greatest.

Everyone OSU played is soft, weak, and untested.

Did you see Clint Mosely just fall down? It happened... he just fell. No you are going to credit the Alabama pass rush putting pressure on him and forcing a bad decision. Landry was trying to release the ball quickly because OSU put a heavy rush on him and their was a guy in his face.

Always funny in these football arguments how in one instance a error is forced, and in another its unforced.

And why aren't you comparing common opponents in this instance? Because a 4 point Ark win or Texas aTm vs a 3 point KSU win vs aTm isn't a difference or = curb stomping.

I watched the game. I thought the early hits they put on Jones affected him for the rest of the game, and I was one of those people saying, "Wow, who knew they had a run defense?"

As for KState, the 2010 Auburn Tigers won 7 games by 8 points (one score) or less. At a certain point, winning is a skill, and those Wildcats seem to possess it. Kansas State will walk up and down the field on Arkansas the same way A&M did. It's going to be a score fest.

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

Versus ranked teams

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

What do you all think?

Opportunities to play LSU and prove you're the best:

Alabama 2 Ok. State 0

Lets look at these stats for Bama and Osu.

Total Offense

Osu 3rd at 557 ypg

Bama 30th at 433 ypg

Total Defense

Osu 107th at 445 ypg

Bama 1st at 191 ypg

Osu is atrocious on defense and they are fairly consistent with their rush defense being 84th and their pass defense being 102nd. Auburn's defense is better than theirs. Osu is giving up 457 Yards Per Game and they are a great team. I don't get it.

Total Offense

Osu 3rd at 557 ypg

Bama 30th at 433 ypg

Total Defense

Osu 107th at 445 ypg

Bama 1st at 191 ypg

Osu is atrocious on defense and they are fairly consistent with their rush defense being 84th and their pass defense being 102nd. Auburn's defense is better than theirs. Osu is giving up 457 Yards Per Game and they are a great team. I don't get it.

We hemorrhaged yards last year and won the championship. Great teams aren't always great at both offense and defense. It happens <_<

Total Offense

Osu 3rd at 557 ypg

Bama 30th at 433 ypg

Total Defense

Osu 107th at 445 ypg

Bama 1st at 191 ypg

What's ironic is Oklahoma State's defense may give up a lot of yards and points but they're 2nd in turnover margin behind LSU's defense.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&rpt=IA_teamturnovermrgn&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Total Offense

Osu 3rd at 557 ypg

Bama 30th at 433 ypg

Total Defense

Osu 107th at 445 ypg

Bama 1st at 191 ypg

We hemorrhaged yards last year and won the championship. Great teams aren't always great at both offense and defense. It happens <_<

You guys were 60th last year in total defense at 368 ypg. That is pretty good compared to them.

Total Offense

Osu 3rd at 557 ypg

Bama 30th at 433 ypg

Total Defense

Osu 107th at 445 ypg

Bama 1st at 191 ypg

What's ironic is Oklahoma State's defense may give up a lot of yards and points but they're 2nd in turnover margin behind LSU's defense.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&rpt=IA_teamturnovermrgn&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Interesting stat but is it misleading? Osu has 42 takeaways. Most in the fbs but they have 22 giveaways. Lsu and Wisconsin has only 8 giveaways and Bama has only 12. Depends how you look at it.

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

Versus ranked teams

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

What do you all think?

Alabama 2 Ok. State 0

Losses to awful teams:

Alabama 0 OK State 1

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

Versus ranked teams

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

What do you all think?

Alabama 2 Ok. State 0

Losses to awful teams:

Alabama 0 OK State 1

The point is simple-- you've had your shot-- at home-- and couldn't get it done. Maybe OKie state could, maybe not, but Bama didn't already. Otherwise, there are arguments for both teams.

Losses to LSU at home-- Bama 1

It doesn't matter....never will until we have some sort of playoff. Bama could lose to OSU on a neutral site just as it did to Utah a few years back. It's about matchups and in-game adjustments. Bama has trouble against well oiled spread offenses with a vertical threat. Most teams do. The pace of the game and the talent on the field would dictate who ended up winning the game. OSU could jump out to a lead and play with a lead throughout the game and beat an Alabama or LSU if the game played out in their favor.

Until we have a playoff no one deserves to be National Champions. PERIOD!

Bama 11-1 Loss to LSU

Versus ranked teams

- OSU - 2

- Bama - 6

What do you all think?

Alabama 2 Ok. State 0

Losses to awful teams:

Alabama 0 OK State 1

The point is simple-- you've had your shot-- at home-- and couldn't get it done. Maybe OKie state could, maybe not, but Bama didn't already. Otherwise, there are arguments for both teams.

Losses to LSU at home-- Bama 1

The BCS is certainly flawed, but as it stands it's goal is to put the 2 best teams in the country in the title game. According to the system in which we play, it succeeded in that regard. This talk would be moot if just one of those teams that lost on upset Saturday had handled their business.

Archived