UTEP

BigBlueBagel

Tough loss tonight. This team plays very hard though. Gotta give them props for that. Frankie could not get hot tonight. Chubb made some really stupid mistakes as well...(he's driving me insane this year). All we can do know is hope for a safe flight home, rest up, practice, and get ready for Georgia Southern on the 30th. War Eagle.

So what'd we learn after this trip out to Hawaii?

1. This team can comptete.

2. Barbee said (correctly) that the defense isn't too good, and he has to work on it.

3. We have GOT to get Chubb playing good basketball. What he does now is pitiful.

4. We need more key players than Kenny Gabriel and Frankie Sullivan. We desperatly need more than these two guys to average 10-10 a game.

5. We got a lot to work on.

6. Free-throw % was GREAT!

7. This team plays hard, all game. They don't give up.

8. It was really nice to get this team, which is still very young (1 senior, KG), to get some good tournament experience along with playing good teams like Long Beach State.

Tony Barbee post 83-76 loss to UTEP, "We are the most undisciplined defensive team I have ever coached, ever, and it bothers me."

@JHokanson

But look at what Barbee did with UTEP. He took a nothing school and they did very well in tournament. Barbee came into Auburn with a giant, Mt. Everest style, uphill climb. He wants to take a traditionally football school and somehow make it a basketball school. Good luck with that. Unfortunatly, Barbee came into a program in which the previous coach basically 'Tubervilled' the team; bad recruiting...Fortunatly, that team was so hungry to win. I think Barbee can definatly get this program turned around. Good luck to him.

Tony Barbee post 83-76 loss to UTEP, "We are the most undisciplined defensive team I have ever coached, ever, and it bothers me."

@JHokanson

But look at what Barbee did with UTEP. He took a nothing school and they did very well in tournament. Barbee came into Auburn with a giant, Mt. Everest style, uphill climb. He wants to take a traditionally football school and somehow make it a basketball school. Good luck with that. Unfortunatly, Barbee came into a program in which the previous coach basically 'Tubervilled' the team; bad recruiting...Fortunatly, that team was so hungry to win. I think Barbee can definatly get this program turned around. Good luck to him.

Yes, Coach Tuberville's recruiting was so poor that his recruits composed the foundation of a national championship team. Newsflash: Those 24 seniors and 3 early NFL guys were were almost all Tuberville recruits. (Cam Newton excepted) Coach Tuberville had ONE bad recruiting year, 2008, a year in which nothing positive happened for the Auburn team from recruiting through coaches through game results. We were thin in '09 because Coach Chizik kicked 7 players off the team over that summer and only signed 21 that qualified in his '09 class. That's about a normal turnover with a coaching change but don't be blaming CTT for things that happened after he left.

That was a tough game to watch; Auburn played well enough to win, UTEP was just unconscious behind the 3 point line making 9 of 13. Even if they only shot 50% or so, Auburn would have won...

Archived