Tigers Win 8-2

Auburn has won its first three SEC series for the first time since 2003, beating Ole Miss on the road, LSU at home and Mississippi State at home. That's particularly significant because Auburn has the tiebreaker advantage of presumed contenders Ole Miss and LSU. ... LSU beat Arkansas on a walkoff single Saturday and on a bases-loaded hit batter in the 11th inning Sunday. ... Ole Miss led 5-0, fell behind 6-5 and rallied to beat Florida on Sunday on a bases-loaded throwing error in the bottom of then ninth.. The Rebels' series win over the Gators is probably the biggest surprise in the league to date. ... Alabama has lost eight of its last nine games overall. Its only SEC victory is over Ole Miss. ...

More from P Marshall at AUC...

Winning the first 3 series isn't shabby considering we were picked to finish last in the West I believe.

Yup I think we were.

Arkansas just lost the series to LSU, so right now we're tied with LSU for 1st in SEC West (though we have the tiebreaker) and tied with Florida and LSU for 2nd overall in the SEC. Florida just lost the series to Ole Miss, so who knows? AU baseball might shock some folks yet.

I hope Arkansas loses a few more, because I am not too optimistic about our meeting with them in Fayetteville. And we get South Carolina and Florida at home, thankfully. And we avoid Kentucky this year.

I'm not sure what to think about South Carolina or Vandy right now. Vandy hasn't done well at all, and South Carolina has had a terrible start to SEC play (by their standards). They have had to play Kentucky and Florida though.

I'm optimistic that we could end up with series wins over Ole Miss, LSU, Miss State, Bama, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Georgia, and one or two of South Carolina, Arkansas, and Florida.

And let's not forget those pesky midweek games that killed us last year... We're 6-1 in those so far, the only loss being to Samford. We've got 6 left, against Jacksonville State (4/3), Samford (4/10), Troy (4/17), Alabama A&M (4/18), at Troy (4/24) and Presbyterian (5/8). Hopefully we go 6-0 or 5-1 in those games to end up 12-1 or 11-2 in midweek games. That would put us at 17-8 or 16-9 in out-of-conference games for the season.

Winning the first 3 series isn't shabby considering we were picked to finish last in the West I believe.

SEC Pre-Season Coaches Poll

Western Division
  1. Arkansas
  2. LSU
  3. UAT
  4. Ole Miss
  5. MSU
  6. Auburn

Current Standings after the 1st three Conference Series Played:

1. AUBURN
  2. LSU
  3. Arky
  4. Ole Miss
  5. MSU
  6. UAT

Auburn and LSU are both 6-3 but Auburn wins the tie-breaker (took 2/3 @ Plainsman Park).

We need to get out a broom this weekend! :P

We need to get out a broom this weekend! :P

Indeed! If there's an SEC series we should sweep, it is this one! Bama is terrible. I just wish we got them at home...

Archived