New Women's Coach - Terri Williams-Flournoy

jared52

Georgetown has a good basketball pedigree but I know nothing of late on their performances. Let's hope this is the beginning of good things for the program.

@Szvetitz: Georgetown's Terri Williams-Flournoy will be Auburn's new women's basketball coach the Opelika-Auburn News has learned

Welcome to the AUFAMILY and War Eagle!

AUBURN--Terri Williams-Flournoy, who spent the previous eight seasons as the head coach at Georgetown, has been named the women's head basketball coach at Auburn, announced Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs Monday. Williams-Flournoy, who led the Hoyas to three-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances from 2010-12, becomes the sixth head coach in Auburn's history. Williams-Flournoy will be formally introduced as Auburn's head coach on Tuesday.

A 20-year coaching veteran, Williams-Flournoy led Georgetown to a four-year run from 2008-12, that was the most successful period in the program's history, while posting an overall mark of 143-104 during her eight-year tenure. In the last four seasons, the Hoyas were 93-41, advancing to the NCAA tournament in 2010, '11, and '12, while making a Sweet 16 appearance in 2011. They were a WNIT quarterfinalist in 2009.

"We are thrilled to welcome Terri Williams-Flourney into the Auburn Family," Jacobs said. "Coach Williams-Flourney has achieved success at every level of her basketball career as a player, assistant and head coach. She has an understanding of what it takes to be successful in the Southeastern Conference and brings a tremendous desire to win championships at Auburn. We welcome Terri, her husband Eric and two children to the Auburn family."

Prior to her arrival at Georgetown, she was a successful assistant for 12 years at Southwest Missouri State (2002-04), Georgia (1996-2002), and Georgetown (1992-96), posting a record of 251-116. During her 20-year coaching career, Williams-Flourney has been a part of three programs that have made 12 NCAA Tournament appearances, including five that advanced to the Sweet 16 or beyond. She was part of a Georgia program that advanced to the 1999 Final Four and Elite Eight in 1997 and 2000.

"I am extremely excited for the opportunity to lead the women's basketball program at Auburn," Williams-Flournoy said. "I'm very appreciative to President Jay Gogue, Jay Jacobs and Meredith Jenkins for giving me the chance to guide this team and I am looking forward to joining the Auburn family."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040212aac.html

547592_10150717242214894_329857079893_9190223_800834092_n.jpg

This is a very good hire, IMHO. She has a solid background working with winning programs and six years of SEC experience at Georgia. Welcome and War Eagle, Coach Williams-Flournoy!

At least she will be a great ambassador for the program much like Nell was. She also doesn't look too shabby in orange either.

At least she will be a great ambassador for the program much like Nell was. She also doesn't look too shabby in orange either.

The point is to win. Nell failed miserably at that and in my opinion undid a lot of the great work Ciampi accomished. I think you see it in this hire. Completely underwhelmed. AU was a periannal power under Ciampi and respected across the nation. This type resume would not have gotten a sniff in previous times. JMO

The point is to win. Nell failed miserably at that and in my opinion undid a lot of the great work Ciampi accomished. I think you see it in this hire. Completely underwhelmed. AU was a periannal power under Ciampi and respected across the nation. This type resume would not have gotten a sniff in previous times. JMO

Her resume has the one thing Fortner's was missing: Several years of experience running a winning college program. She's reached a certain level of success in a program with lesser facilities and tough competition. Coach Flo isn't one of the rock-star coaches out there, but there is at least a chance that she'll reach that level at Auburn. I'm willing to give her some time and support until she's got her own style of player on the court.

I do expect to see a team that's fun to watch. Over these last three years watching Nell Fortner's team play was about as much fun as getting needles stuck in your eyeballs.

She's hot looking!

If that's going to be the criteria, Carolyn Peck and Kellie Jolly Harper should have received more consideration. :thumbsup:

Archived