The OFFICIAL Coach Paw has gotta go thread.

It has now been about 90 minutes since UF beat AU in the first game of the SEC tourney and there has not been any discussion of the game. It is clear that malaise has set in with the fans. JJ, you need to understand that folks are watching you, to see what kind of leader you are. Right now, I am not sure that you would get a favorable scorecard.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Auburn man, Steve Renfroe, had a 145-92 record, .612 winning percentage after four years. His last team finished 32-24 and 9th in the SEC. He was fired.

John Pawloski's record is now 133-102, a .566 winning percentage. His last team is now 30-27 and finished 10th in the SEC.

Based on that, Pawloski should be fired.

Even more compelling is Pawloski's horrible game management. The guy simply goes into the twilight zone when the ump yells "play ball".

It's clear that a change is needed and I see no earthly reason to put this off for another year. I don't want to look at Auburn batters being forced to attempt bunts with two strikes or runners wandering around out there like they haven't got a clue for another season.

I don't keep up with our baseball history nearly as much as I do football or basketball, but last night during the game the announcer threw something out that I would like validated or dubunked. He said that Pawlowski is the 2nd fastest coach in Auburn history to 100 wins. He said, Pawlowski did it in 169 games and that Hal Baird did it in 160. Is this an accurate statement?

I don't keep up with our baseball history nearly as much as I do football or basketball, but last night during the game the announcer threw something out that I would like validated or dubunked. He said that Pawlowski is the 2nd fastest coach in Auburn history to 100 wins. He said, Pawlowski did it in 169 games and that Hal Baird did it in 160. Is this an accurate statement?

Based on what I've found he would be the 3rd fastest to reach 100 wins. Hal Baird is actually the 2nd fastest.

According to auburntigers.com's baseball archives, Steve Renfroe would be the fastest Auburn coach to reach 100 wins. He did it in 155 games.

Here's Steve Renfroe's record at Auburn:

2001: 37-21

2002: 34-26

2003: 42-21

2004: 32-24

Renfroe got his 100th win on April 13, 2003. Auburn's record after that game was 29-8.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/041303aaa.html

If you add 2001 and 2002 together his record was 71-47. Then you take 71-47 and add 29-8. His record at that point would be 100-55.

Gee, I looked all that stuff up by myself and could have saved the trouble. For what it's worth, my arithmetic and Auburnfan91's are exactly the same. Renfroe was first to 100 wins, Hal was second and Pawloski was third. When Paul Nix started out there were so few games played each year that comparison is not meaningful, so Tom Slater is the only guy that Coach Paw is ahead of in reaching 100 wins.

It should be noted that both Renfroe and Slater were fired after four years, with Renfroe's record being significantly better than Coach Paw's.

Renfroe after four years:145-92, .612 winning percentage. Final season 32-24, 9th in SEC.

Pawloski after four years, through today:134-102, .568 winning percentage. Final season 31-27, 10th in SEC.

Thinking back, it seems to me that there was more reason to think Renfroe would turn things around than there is for thinking Palowski will turn it around. While I wasn't totally opposed to letting Renfroe go, I did have some reservations. I have no doubt that letting Pawloski go would be the best thing for AU baseball.

PM says Paw is safe for another year.

Yes, and PM usually is as close to being an insider as anyone can get. I myself can see absolutely no justification for not making the change this year. If an AU coach, ANY AU coach is in his/her fourth year and finishes 10th in a 12 team league the time for a change has arrived.

I sincerely hope Coach Paw can do some magic turnaround next season but I don't give that a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

We finished 10 out of 12...and in case we haven't noticed, those 2 teams coming in next year don't exactly suck. TAMU went 42-16 and is hosting a regional this weekend. Mizzou didn't have a great record, but got hot in the tourney and won the B12 so they're back in the NCAAs this year. They've been in the tourney 7 times since 2001 and aren't exactly a pushover.

Time for a change Jacobs. Make the move. And by coincidence, the first guy you should call just happens to be coaching his team in the NCAA tournament in Tallahassee this weekend. You can drive over from Destin and offer him the job on your way home.

I heard Dunn on The Zone today, coming back from lunch. Some name brand school is going to snatch him up. I hope it is us. He will get it done (no pun intended).

I heard Dunn on The Zone today, coming back from lunch. Some name brand school is going to snatch him up. I hope it is us. He will get it done (no pun intended).

All we can do is hope he is still available after next year.

I guess this thread is a moot point now. Pawloski is staying for at least another year. Just one more sign that JJ is content to have mediocre baseball and basketball teames.

Meanwhile, Casey Dunn's Samford team beat Mississippi State in the first round of the NCAA's. But we have Auburn fans saying he's "not ready". Seems like Casey is a whole lot more ready that Pawloski is.

Meanwhile, Casey Dunn's Samford team beat Mississippi State in the first round of the NCAA's. But we have Auburn fans saying he's "not ready". Seems like Casey is a whole lot more ready that Pawloski is.

That was an impressive 5-0 win against a hot MSU team. Somebody else may get Dunn before the extra year passes.

Now the student newspaper, The Auburn Plainsman has gotten into the act: "Time running out for Tigers baseball coach?" It's worth reading, if nothing else it indicates that a few grumblers on message boards, (like me) aren't the only ones paying attention.

Link: http://www.theplainsman.com/view/full_story/18778628/article-Time-running-out-for-Tigers-baseball-coach?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

If JJ can't wake up and smell the coffee, It may just be time for him to get going as well. Especially if Barbee ends up being a washout.

Samford has a huge challenge tonight, taking on FSU at 6:00. It will be interesting to see how well they do against the No. 3 team in the country.

Lost 5-2. Was hoping they would pull it out and I could pull for them in the series.

Really hoping we make a move for Dunn soon. Guy really should be our next coach.

I don't see it happening. I think they have put their hopes on this season coming up. Someone is going to get a really good dugout man.

I don't see it happening. I think they have put their hopes on this season coming up. Someone is going to get a really good dugout man.

It appears that you are correct. However, I can see no reason to think next year will be any better than the last four. There is no indication that the team is "moving forward", "developing" or in any way improving from year to year. Had the SEC not expanded the tournament to 10 teams, we would have been shut out of Hoover once again.

When an Auburn baseball team is consistently finishing in the lower 1/3 of the conference, a coaching change is in order.

Archived