JeffCo BOE Approves Single-Gender Classes

MDM4AU

Are single gender classes a good idea or bad idea?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are single gender classes a good idea or bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • Unsure

My wife and I pondered this question for a bit last night. She is a teacher and feels that it is a good idea. I on the other hand was not completely sold. I recognize the obvious benefits, but ...(gut feeling). So I thought I would post this and get other opinions.

Check out the link below for the full story.

http://www.nbc13.com/news/3444112/detail.html

I went to a single gender college and I can tell you straight up that there are tremendous advantages. College is a little bit different, but I think I can translate it to a grade or high school level.

You focus on nothing but schoolwork when there are nothing but other girls in the class with you. The interaction betwen the sexes - and I am not talking in a "sexual" sense - but the showing off, being obnoxious, etc. that little boys tend to do to make little girls giggle just isn't there. Studies show that girls learn differently than boys, enough so that being able to gear discussions and lectures towards the different genders is probably also helpful to the teacher. A boy or girl can ask or answer a question without being afraid of looking like an idiot in front of some opposite gender he or she is trying to impress.

From a superficial perspective, not having to worry about how you looked when you went to class - makeup, hair, clothes for an 8 am class esp - makes a difference too. :rolleyes: We had a dress code - it wasn't "anything goes" - but the social pressures just aren't there.

And let me tell you - just because a school is not co-ed does not mean you don't see each other. Some days it looked like Judson was absolutely co-ed, there were so many guys on campus. That hormone radar does seek out its opposite number!!!

IMO, school is not just about "learning the books" but learning how to socialize, negotiate, compromise, etc. with your piers/classmates. In my job, I use more day-to-day social skills that I learned in school than I do calculus or geometry. I just wonder if having gender specific schools will negatively impact a student's ability to socialize and work with the opposite sex. I have the same concerns with home schooling.

Just my $0.02!

I think it totally depends on the child and the situation. I think in some cases it could be good, and in other cases it could be bad. I think it would be a great option for parents to have, but definately not something I think should be mandatory for public schools. If you desperately want your child to have a single gendered education, private school is probably where you need to go.

I could see some merit to it. Perhaps there could be a "blended" system where some of their classes were gender exclusive and others that are mixed. I don't really have any concerns about learning how to interact with different kinds of people. It's not like school is the only place on earth to do that.

I could see some merit to it. Perhaps there could be a "blended" system where some of their classes were gender exclusive and others that are mixed. I don't really have any concerns about learning how to interact with different kinds of people. It's not like school is the only place on earth to do that.

You seem the be the only one that read the article. The SCHOOL is not genger specific, only select classes. I feel this is a great idea. There are certain subjects that need more concentration than others. Maybe this pilot program will help identify the classes that need to be separate and let the others be.

I teach math and to be quite honest, I think a single-gender class would be beneficial for that as well.

Archived