Mobile site

boyettdw

As someone who is as loyal to my iPhone as I am to auburn, it wild be nice to put a mobile version of both the main site and the forums on the todo list. More and more people will be viewing the site from a mobile browser, so you might want to think about making their lives a little easier while on your site.

Looking forward to m.wareagleauburn.com.

I tend to surf the web quite a bit from my phone as well, so I can see where you're coming from. We've already looked into the possibility of adding a mobile version, but we're gonna have to do a little more research first. I don't speak for our entire team, but I can't say that I have much experience with generating a mobile version of a website.

If anyone has experience or thinks he/she can help with this issue, please to contact us at webmaster@wareagleauburn.com

Hopefully somebody else on the team has the know-how or somebody that is able to help contacts us. Thanks for your suggestion and hopefully we can make it happen. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

Well, my dumba** definitely would not know how to help you on that but I can tell you I do not have internet access at home right now and I love browsing on my phone.  I tried to bring the site up last night and it just didn't work too good so it would be cool if ya'll could figure out how to do a mobile version.

I tend to surf the web quite a bit from my phone as well, so I can see where you're coming from. We've already looked into the possibility of adding a mobile version, but we're gonna have to do a little more research first. I don't speak for our entire team, but I can't say that I have much experience with generating a mobile version of a website.

If anyone has experience or thinks he/she can help with this issue, please to contact us at webmaster@wareagleauburn.com

Hopefully somebody else on the team has the know-how or somebody that is able to help contacts us. Thanks for your suggestion and hopefully we can make it happen. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

Take a look at these sites:

Generic mobile version that are already included and work with your forums now (I have already tested them)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=227395.0

Info on making an iPhone-specific theme (including detecting the mobile safari browser)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=206561.0

See if these help.

Thank you for posting the feedback and links. The message boards already have a built in mobile-version generator so they are the least of our worries. The main website has more graphics and issues to deal with. We are working on a php code that will use a completely different layout (mobile version) when a mobile device is detected. It will also use the GD Image Library to generate smaller versions of the images (associated with articles). The code will generate a mobile version of the entire website and cache it when new content is added. The code is in the early stages and the mobile version layout/template needs a good bit of work and testing on the universal mobile phone emulators. All the members on our design/support team are volunteers so we will do what we can when we can. Thanks again for your support and feedback!! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

If anyone has a better idea or can help with what we're working on, please email us at webmaster@wareagleauburn.com

The php code is pretty much done thanks to the much appreciated help of the open source community!! The only thing left to do here is create a mobile layout and choose which components of the website should be used and visible in the mobile version. The layout/template will also have to be suitable for the most common and popular phones. The code that we have written is set to detect any mobile browser. Having multiple mobile versions/templates for different phones is not part of our plans at this time. The team will try to design and test the mobile layout in the near future. Please note that we are volunteers and this will not be considered a priority. Hopefully we can get it done soon. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

If you are interested in making an iPhone-specific version (which I would vote for, but then again I am slightly biased), here is some information on how to detect the safari browser: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/186734/how-do-i-detect-mobile-safari-server-side-using-php

I know you are using Joomla for your main site, so this might be of interest to you as well: http://www.expressionindesign.com/post.php?id=29

http://www.kksou.com/php-gtk2/Joomla/Auto-Template-Switcher.php

I would love to see an iPhone-optimized mobile site, so if you need some help on it, let me know.

According to the stats we have. Only a few people are using an iPhone. Samsung seems to be our top mobile device. I'm hoping the layout we're working on will work for both though. We'll try to test the website on a bunch of emulators to get the best compatibility. As for using anything ready for Joomla, We have adjusted the core quite a bit to fit our small layout and for a few other reasons, so we'll try to avoid those for now. I have looked at what others have done for ideas and have also discussed what we plan to do with helpful members of the open source community. We'll let you guys know when we add the mobile version. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

10 dollars says if we fixed that you would find something else to complain about ... ^^ Just so people know, Boyett was the best man in my wedding, I am really not this mean to people.

Who are you lying too Brandon....you are mean....you knock me around and make me get inside info all day long!!

I HOPE YOU ARE NICE TO ME ONE DAY!!

HAHAHAHA!! I don't think anyone in this area does.....he will come on here later and try to state his case but its not gonna work with me!!

:beatmullet: :beatmullet: :beatmullet: :beatmullet: :beatmullet: :beatmullet: :beatmullet:

Archived