I had the pleasure of talking to an old BBall player today...

This fine gentleman played for Joel Eaves and was really fun to talk to. Before he told me who he was, he asked me what I thought about Lebo's chances of coming back next year and I said what I've said to you all...Before the season I would have thought there was no way they were going to fire Lebo before he got a chance to coach in the new arena. Now though, I'm not so sure. The heat has gotten turned up tremendously.

Anyway, this gentleman told me he was not impressed with Lebo at all and said he thought he would be gone. He said Lebo just didn't have what it takes, for whatever reason and has been given ample time to get it right. I told him, "Hey, I have no dillusions of grandeur about our BBall program and realize we are not going to be in the final four every year, but I think we should at least just make the NCAA tourney every year".

He made a good point and said, "When I was there we were a football school then too but Coach Eaves was good enough to have us competitive. A good  basketball coach can make all the difference in the world and this guy...I don't know about."

This is nothing groundbreaking I know, but I thought it was an interesting perspective to share. This gentleman seems to be echoing everything I have heard and am hearing all the time now. Lebo may have messed himself up with his philosophy of running 4 guards and 1 center. I have said before that I didn't like that idea and it seems to be irking some other AU people as well. Now, I don't know if Lebo is going to make it or not.

If former players don't believe in the coach, why should we as fans? I think Lebo is a very good guy and I love the way he carries himself but I just wanna see more success. I gave him a pass last year because I think we deserved to get into the tournament but I expected a lot more from a team with so many seniors on it. I expected to see us pick up where we left off even though we lost a lot of key guys from last year's squad.

One problem with Lebo's coaching may be he is coaching through a guard's perspective. He was a guard in UNC who shoots beyond the arc most of his time and that may had influenced how he handles the offense. We need a coach who understands every position of basketball.

Guest War Eagle 29

For whatever reason(s), CJL's coaching system has not worked in the SEC. His overall record at Auburn is about .500 and he has a losing record in conference games. As a manager in the business world, if I had a poor performer like that on my staff, they would have to go. It will be interesting to see what JJ does in a few weeks regarding our head basketball coach.

For whatever reason(s), CJL's coaching system has not worked in the SEC. His overall record at Auburn is about .500 and he has a losing record in conference games. As a manager in the business world, if I had a poor performer like that on my staff, they would have to go. It will be interesting to see what JJ does in a few weeks regarding our head basketball coach.

I agree. I think he's been given ample opportunity. At some point you've got to move on even if you can't get anybody better. Just somebody different at least brings hope.

Interesting thing about his "guard" philosophy"....a friend of mine here (Chattanooga) follows UTC ball and when he was here, he talked and still talks about how good Lebo's father is at coaching big guys. Only problem is, aside from a couple of failed project players, he has not had any big guys to coach since he has been there.  I don't see how you can compete in the  SEC, or any  other major conference, without some size..and more than one guy that can get zeroed in on by the opposition and into foul trouble and out of the game. As has been pointed out, the scary thing is, if I looked at it right, the only "senior" coming in next year, is a walk on. thought he played pretty good last weekend in limited play---lots of enthusiasm and no fear.  I just hope they will continue to play hard til the end, regardless of what happens with Lebo.

You cannot win at this level without an inside presence. Barber did a good job with that last season. This year there is no inside presence. Brendon Knox is a joke. I swear I don't believe Lebo believes in the inside game. I've seen no evidence of it. Don't forget, he ran off two post players who went on to do well at other places, Curtis at Ole Miss and Killingsworth at Indiana (who was the other player who transferred to Indiana?). Oh well, three more games then one tournament loss and the Lebo era will come to a merciful end.

Archived