How reliable are the Barbee rumors...

DO4AU2010

Barbee to be named the head coach soon.I'm just wandering because 2 days ago a lot of people were sure it would eventually be Tubby Smith.

Unless somebody has actually seen any of the candidates in Auburn or has seen JJ meeting with them, then it is all just speculation.  JJ said in the beginning that any names you hear will not be coming from his office.  He will not be releasing any names that are under consideration.   If the coach being interviewed tells the press that he is interviewing for the job, then I am not sure he is the man we want.  That sounds like an ego problem to me.  So, I guess we just wait.    

either would be great but I just like the way Tubby coaches (and don'g get me wrong, Barbee would be an amazing pick up).  This year Minn. had the number 1 D in the Big 10.  The man has recruiting and coaching experience in the SEC and that goes a long way (see Gene Chizik).  I know it's a long shot to compare Chizik and Smith, but experience translates in any sport.

Unless somebody has actually seen any of the candidates in Auburn or has seen JJ meeting with them, then it is all just speculation.  JJ said in the beginning that any names you hear will not be coming from his office.  He will not be releasing any names that are under consideration.   If the coach being interviewed tells the press that he is interviewing for the job, then I am not sure he is the man we want.  That sounds like an ego problem to me.  So, I guess we just wait.    

this, but I hope we get barbee

Just don't understand why some people prefer Barbee over a proven winner in Tubby Smith (or Mike Anderson for that matter). I'm not sayin' that Barbee isn't a good coach and that he wouldn't win here @ Auburn, but we know EXACTLY what we're getting in Smith or Anderson and both have PROVEN to be nothing but winners at the highest level. I just want the sure thing over the hot "up and comer" after what we've been through the last six years. People, Tubby Smith is one of the best CBB coaches in history. Why would somebody like that not be your first choice?

Just don't understand why some people prefer Barbee over a proven winner in Tubby Smith (or Mike Anderson for that matter). I'm not sayin' that Barbee isn't a good coach and that he wouldn't win here @ Auburn, but we know EXACTLY what we're getting in Smith or Anderson and both have PROVEN to be nothing but winners at the highest level. I just want the sure thing over the hot "up and comer" after what we've been through the last six years. People, Tubby Smith is one of the best CBB coaches in history. Why would somebody like that not be your first choice?

Perfect post. I think Barbee would be great if we got him and I wouldn't be upset if we did but when we have Tubby Smith which is a proven winner atleast somewhat interested in the job you have to think that he is the guy we want.

Guys, I had Tubby Smith high on my list until I read an article in my local newspaper here in Nashville. I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but it was printed in the newspaper so it made it through the editor. Anyways the author said Tubby has numerous run-ins with his players and they give him no respect. The author brought up a game recently saying Tubby got into it with a player on the court and the player turned and walked away and ignored him. The author said the players are constantly confused about the offense and don't really have any guidance, for lack of a better word. Take it FWIW but we need a coach who demands respect and a coach in which the players respect enough to respect him. I've always thought Tubby was a great coach and a great man, but this article really got me thinking.

Guys, I had Tubby Smith high on my list until I read an article in my local newspaper here in Nashville. I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but it was printed in the newspaper so it made it through the editor. Anyways the author said Tubby has numerous run-ins with his players and they give him no respect. The author brought up a game recently saying Tubby got into it with a player on the court and the player turned and walked away and ignored him. The author said the players are constantly confused about the offense and don't really have any guidance, for lack of a better word. Take it FWIW but we need a coach who demands respect and a coach in which the players respect enough to respect him. I've always thought Tubby was a great coach and a great man, but this article really got me thinking.

can i get a link to the article?

Great post!

This is what I have been saying!  What Auburn needs is a proven winner who can come in and generate excitement and buzz about the program.  I am not knocking Barbee or anyone else, but if you have a shot at getting Tubby or Anderson, you have to go for it!  I could not care less what happened 6 years ago and who wouldn't travel for an interview.  Didn't JJ fly all over conducting interviews for the FB coach?  I would love to have Tubby's or Anderson's style of BB in the new arena.  I think it would be a great thing and would put Auburn on the map in BB.

As far as an article about Tubby not having the respect of his players...I would have to see a link to that and know more.  I just can not see that happening.

:dunno:

One of my friends that posts on rivals a good bit said that there is talk over there that Tubby may be wanting us to name his son as the coach in waiting if he got his job, indicating that he may not want to be coaching for that much longer.  Don't quote me as fact or anything just passing along what he said was being talked about.

On to Mike Anderson, I would love to get him as a coch, but i just don't see it happening.  I have no doubt we've thrown the red carpet at him and are offering him top notch pay, but i don't see him leaving, JMO.

Barbee I really like as a candidate because he is a really good x's and o's coach, but he is also supposedly a wonderful recruiter.

Archived