History of AU Basketball?

aurules16

Ok guys i have been keeping up to date with basketball this season for AU but could i get a short but sweet history on AU basketball. The only things i know was that Auburn's basketball hasnt been that great as of late and we did have Charles Barkley. Have we ever been good at basketball? ever made the NCAA tourney etc?

Thanks guys.

actually,

Shug and Sonnie were the most successful coaches.

Charles Barkley, Chuck and Wesley Person, and Chris Porter make up the best B-ball players at Auburn.

No national championships.

Lots of losing seasons.

This should help. 

Auburn Coaching History

Tenure      Coach        Seasons        Won      Lost    Pct.    Conf.

1905-1921  Donahue        16              74        80      .481 -

1921-1924  Hutsell            3              16        24      .421 -

1924-1925  Bunker            1              3        11      .214 -

1925-1928  Papke            3              38        18        .679 -

1928-1929  Bohler            1                6        15      .286 -

1929-1930  Lee                1              1        10        .091 -

1930-1933  McAllister        3              25        18      .581      4-7

1933-42,

1945-46    Jordan          10              95        77      .552    61-56

1942-43,

1944-45    Evans            2              4          28      .125      3-18

1946-1947 Edney            1              3          18        .143      1-15

1947-1949 Doyle              2              21        25        .457      12-18

1949-1963 Eaves            14            213      100        .681      124-75

1963-1973 Lynn              10            130      124        .512      84-88

1973-1978 Davis              5              70        61        .534      42-48

1978-1989 Smith            11            173      154        .529    84-114

1989-1994 Eagles            5              64        78          .451    29-55

1994-2004 Ellis              10            186        125        .598    73-87

2004-2010 Lebo            6              96          92        .511    33-65 

recent history

1999  and 2003  were our best teams both had a shot to win the title sadly in 2003 we ran into carmelo anthony and syracuse and lost by one pt in the elite 8

In his time Shug Jordan was considered a good basketball coach. He had a winning record overall. He also had a winning record in the SEC which is something very rare among Auburn basketball coaches.

Now, the best BB coach at Auburn, by far, was women's coach Joe Champi. Three appearances in the NCAA championship game, many 20 win seasons, SEC championships, all American players and tournament appearances are his accomplishments.

On to the men's side:

Maybe the best short roll in Auburn history was when coach Joel Eaves won 30 straight games sometime in the late '50's. Eaves's .681 winninmg percentage for 14 seasons is also the best. Joel Eaves left Auburn to become UGA's AD, hired Vince Dooley for their FB coach and did other big things over there.

Shug Jordan kept a copy of a letter sent to him by Kentucky's legendary Adolph Rupp, telling Shug he was making a mistake in switching from basketball to football coaching.

John Mengelt ('68-'71) was the best player I've seen at Auburn. John lasted 9 years in the NBA.

Henry Harris (69-72) was Auburn's first black athlete, and a very good player. Probably would have been a pro if not for a knee injury.

Remember, in earlier years the Big Dance only had 8 teams invited, it's only in recent history that 64 teams are invited every year, so our post-season history is not great.

Here's hoping that in the near future we'll have more to write about!

I believe we have 9 (20) win seasons... not much to brag on... but I see that changing very soon.

cmon yall know im optimistic...

most of you young guys wouldn`t remember the "Barn" except for the fire. Auburn played for years in the Barn before Beard-Eaves was built. Sat about 2,500 fans, most right on top of the court. Was a great place to watch basketball and we had some pretty good teams while playing there.

Mentioning the "Barn" brings back some real memories.....yes, you would sometimes actually be sitting on the floor just a couple of feet from the boundry line.  I remember actually remember being hit by drops of sweat during a game when there was some action near the boundry line where I was sitting during a big game.  It could be real up close and personal at times.  Also remember that during some good years during Coach Eaves tenure that we ran something called the "Auburn Shuffle"

Mentioning the "Barn" brings back some real memories.....yes, you would sometimes actually be sitting on the floor just a couple of feet from the boundry line.  I remember actually remember being hit by drops of sweat during a game when there was some action near the boundry line where I was sitting during a big game.  It could be real up close and personal at times.  Also remember that during some good years during Coach Eaves tenure that we ran something called the "Auburn Shuffle"

The barn was something. I remember when they would tell everybody to slide to the left to get a few more in. Even though it officialy held about 2500, I am convinced we had at least 3500 in there a lot of times. The best year was 1958. Won the SEC going away. They called Joel Eaves' team that year "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" Rex Frederick was the center and he was only six five. Very good ball handling, shooting and defense. Also the most unselfish group of players I ever saw. They did run the shuffle offense. It was perpetual motion.

Auburn basketball has had it's moments, we do have some successes; notably Joel Eaves our most successful coach went 213-100 in 14 seasons, and won an SEC Championship in 1960. Sonny Smith was the only Auburn coach to have had 3 straight 20 win + seasons. He also led Auburn to an SEC tourny championship, and to a sweet 16 finish in the NCAA tourny. Cliff Ellis led Auburn to it's second SEC Championship in the 98-99 season. Auburn has had many great players to add to our tradition like:

Retired jerseys

No. Player Year

15 John Mengelt 2001

34 Charles Barkley 2001

23 Rex Frederick 2006

45 Chuck Person 2006

11 Wesley Person 2006

From 1982-1984 Charles Barkley dominated the courts in the SEC. The former 1984 NCAA player of the year was a member of the "Dream Team" that captured the Olympic gold medal in 1992 and 1996. He was also the 1993 NBA league MVP and a member of 11 All-Star teams.

Other famous Auburn hoopsters include current NBA hoopsters Marquis Daniels of the Indiana Pacers, Moochie Norris of the Houston Rockets and Wesley Person of the Denver Nuggets.

Former Auburn stars such as Jamison Brewer, Bobby Cattage, Marquis Daniels, Matt Geiger, Adam Harrington, Cedrick Hordges, Eddie Johnson, Darrell Lockhart, John Mengelt, Mike Mitchell, Chris Morris, Moochie Norris, Mamadou Ndiaye, Myles Patrick, Chuck Person, Wesley Person, Stan Pietkiewicz, Chris Porter, Pat Burke and Aaron Swinson have gone on to play professional basketball after leaving The Plains.

Auburn basketball has had it's moments, we do have some successes; notably Joel Eaves our most successful coach went 213-100 in 14 seasons, and won an SEC Championship in 1960. Sonny Smith was the only Auburn coach to have had 3 straight 20 win + seasons. He also led Auburn to an SEC tourny championship, and to a sweet 16 finish in the NCAA tourny. Cliff Ellis led Auburn to it's second SEC Championship in the 98-99 season. Auburn has had many great players to add to our tradition like:

Retired jerseys

No. Player Year

15 John Mengelt 2001

34 Charles Barkley 2001

23 Rex Frederick 2006

45 Chuck Person 2006

11 Wesley Person 2006

From 1982-1984 Charles Barkley dominated the courts in the SEC. The former 1984 NCAA player of the year was a member of the "Dream Team" that captured the Olympic gold medal in 1992 and 1996. He was also the 1993 NBA league MVP and a member of 11 All-Star teams.

Other famous Auburn hoopsters include current NBA hoopsters Marquis Daniels of the Indiana Pacers, Moochie Norris of the Houston Rockets and Wesley Person of the Denver Nuggets.

Former Auburn stars such as Jamison Brewer, Bobby Cattage, Marquis Daniels, Matt Geiger, Adam Harrington, Cedrick Hordges, Eddie Johnson, Darrell Lockhart, John Mengelt, Mike Mitchell, Chris Morris, Moochie Norris, Mamadou Ndiaye, Myles Patrick, Chuck Person, Wesley Person, Stan Pietkiewicz, Chris Porter, Pat Burke and Aaron Swinson have gone on to play professional basketball after leaving The Plains.

Great posts you and AU60. Glad we have some folks who remember and enjoy AU basketball. The "barn" was a unique and even wonderful place.

No mention of Sonny Smith?!?!  Those were some great AU teams in the 80s.  I believe he took FIVE straight teams to the NCAA Tournament including an Elite Eight run one season. That was the deepest an AU team has ever been in the tournament - even farther than our #1 overall seeded 1999 team.

No mention of Sonny Smith?!?!  Those were some great AU teams in the 80s.  I believe he took FIVE straight teams to the NCAA Tournament including an Elite Eight run one season. That was the deepest an AU team has ever been in the tournament - even farther than our #1 overall seeded 1999 team.

Good point. We mentioned some of his players and teams but no mention. Sonny was a good coach and a wonderful person.

Retired jerseys

No. Player Year

15 John Mengelt 2001

34 Charles Barkley 2001

23 Rex Frederick 2006

45 Chuck Person 2006

11 Wesley Person 2006

Great posts you and AU60. Glad we have some folks who remember and enjoy AU basketball. The "barn" was a unique and even wonderful place.

Indeed it was. Unfortunately, I was so close to it the night it burned I couls really feel the heat.

I was sitting in the Barn, front row the night that big fight with Florida broke out. Wally Tinker splatted that Gator's nose and blood splashed all over my clothes. Sometimes you could be too close to the action in there!

My favorite moment in the Barn was sitting up on a rafter for the pep rally before the 1972 Iron Bowl. Shug was in rare form, laughing at the players and cracking jokes. Somewhere in the middle of that thing the thought came into my head: "Coach thinks we are gonna' win this thing, that's weird". The seniors spoke and they were all on the theme "It's a privilege just to get to play a great team like Alabama".

Then Terry Henly's turn at the mike came and he said "We'll take 'em like a capsule". That was Thursday night. Saturday we blocked two punts....

I was sitting in the Barn, front row the night that big fight with Florida broke out. Wally Tinker splatted that Gator's nose and blood splashed all over my clothes. Sometimes you could be too close to the action in there!

My favorite moment in the Barn was sitting up on a rafter for the pep rally before the 1972 Iron Bowl. Shug was in rare form, laughing at the players and cracking jokes. Somewhere in the middle of that thing the thought came into my head: "Coach thinks we are gonna' win this thing, that's weird". The seniors spoke and they were all on the theme "It's a privilege just to get to play a great team like Alabama".

Then Terry Henly's turn at the mike came and he said "We'll take 'em like a capsule". That was Thursday night. Saturday we blocked two punts....

I remember that night as well. Gotta love Terry

Archived