Barbee Assistants - UPDATED

stealthyfan

So...is this official?  If so, I'm stoked.  I've always been a fan of the Louisville Cardinals and I remember watching Wagner when I was a kid.  He was one of the best collegiate basketball players of his time.

So...is this official?  If so, I'm stoked.  I've always been a fan of the Louisville Cardinals and I remember watching Wagner when I was a kid.  He was one of the best collegiate basketball players of his time.

I haven't read anything official on this. Am I out of the loop or are people getting ahead of themselves? :dunno:

Tony Barbee expected to bring his UTEP assistant coaches to Auburn:

Look for Tony Barbee's entire coaching staff from Texas-El Paso to join him on his new staff at Auburn.

Assistant coaches Milt Wagner, Tony Madlock and Randall Dickey are expected to join Barbee's staff, according to people familiar with the hiring process. Mike Babul will also follow Barbee to Auburn as director of basketball operations.

Barbee was hired as Auburn's head coach March 24.

Wagner was with Barbee at UTEP for four years and with him on the University of Memphis staff before that, where Wagner was Coordinator of Basketball Operations for six years.  He played at Louisville in the 1980s, helping the Cardinals to the 1986 national championship and three Final Four appearances. He was also with the Los Angeles Lakers when they won the NBA title in 1988.

Dickey was at UTEP from 2004-10 and was at Oklahoma State and Washington State before that. Madlock was with Barbee for four years at UTEP. He has also coached at Arkansas State. He played at Memphis. Babul was also with Barbee for four seasons at UTEP and worked with him at Memphis before that.

(taken from al.com: http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/04/tony_barbee_expected_to_bring.html)

I'd like to see him bring in some body from around the alabama area. I don't know if recruiting in basketball is like football where its as important to be familar with local high school coaches, but it seems to me like it would help. He was at Memphis so I guess thats would make him fairly familiar with recruiting down here.

I hope we at least win 20 games this year.

I hope we win at least 20 too. However, that's going to depend on who and how many new players Barbee can bring in. The talent level to win 20 is not on the team at present.

Archived