Kerry's plan for Iraq

Tigermike

Posted 8/8/2004 8:50 PM

Plan is to bring troops home

By John Kerry

I know what our troops go through when they carry an M-16 in a dangerous place and can't tell friend from foe.

I know what they go through when they are out on patrol at night and don't know what's coming around the next bend.

I know what it is like to write letters home telling your family that everything's all right when you're not sure that's true.

As president, I will never send troops into battle without the right equipment or a plan to win the peace. I will bring back our nation's time-honored tradition: The United States never goes to war because we want to. We only go to war because we have to.

I will meet our sacred commitment to our brave troops in Iraq — to end their mission successfully and bring them home as soon as possible. At stake is whether Iraq will complete its march to democracy or degenerate into the next proving ground for terrorists.

My plan is to:

• Lead NATO to make the security of Iraq one of its global missions and to deploy a significant portion of the force needed to secure and win the peace there. NATO participation will open the door to greater international involvement from non-NATO countries.

• Internationalize the reconstruction efforts in Iraq to end the continuing perception of a U.S. occupation and help coordinate the rebuilding.

• Launch a massive and accelerated training effort to build Iraqi security forces that can provide real security for the Iraqi people, including a major role for NATO. This is not a task for America alone; we must join as a partner with other nations.

• Plan for Iraq's future by working with our allies to forgive Iraq's multibillion-dollar debt and involve our allies in the development of a new Iraqi constitution and the political arrangements needed to protect minority rights. At the same time, we should convene a regional conference with Iraq's neighbors to secure a pledge of respect for Iraq's borders and non-interference in Iraq's national affairs.

This is not an instant solution. There isn't one. But it's a realistic plan to share the burden and secure the peace and bring our troops home.

John Kerry is the Democratic candidate for president

USA TODAY

"Uh, I'm gonna do what Bush is already doin, uh."

Seriously, if Kerry expects to out wit Bush in Iraq, he is going to have to do better than that. These are all things Bush is already in the process of doing. I think there are like 30 different nations on the ground over there, so we are definetly getting support. What does he want to do, get France and Germany over there? Yeah right :lol:

Guys, we can't forget that this article is aimed at people who seem to think we acted alone and that we are the only country involved with whats going on :rolleyes:

We didn't act alone, but we did act in haste.

Hmm, if only Britain and France had acted in haste in the mid-1930's when their forces could match up or overpower Nazi Germany; if only Clinton had acted in haste to rid Afghanistan of the Taliban and Osama in the late 1990's?

History has proven again and again and again that delaying war only increases the size of the conflict later and extends the oppressed people's suffering, rarely do things get better by chatting up a brutal dictator. But yet, if Saddam had not been so hasty in coordinating more thoroughly with Osama and supplying some of those 'non-existent' chemical weapons, you would be screaming from the highest insane asylum you could find that Bush didn't act quick enough...

These are all things Bush is already in the process of doing. 

Yeah, check out Kerry's plans (even though he fails to mention how hes going to act them out) from the link on this thread... Bush is already doing most of them.

Archived