Dustin Johnson

Ronald McDonald

Do you think the PGA officials made the correct call by penalizing Johnson 2 strokes for grounding his club in a "gray area" that they called a bunker on the golf course?

I think we can all agree that Dustin needs a hug.

As bad as I hate that decision, it was the right decision.  The officials went ut of their way to remind the players that anything designed to be a sand trap would be treated as a sand trap no matter where it is or what condition it is in.  So, they had no choice.  Dustin should have asked for clarification . 

As bad as I hate that decision, it was the right decision.  The officials went ut of their way to remind the players that anything designed to be a sand trap would be treated as a sand trap no matter where it is or what condition it is in.  So, they had no choice.  Dustin should have asked for clarification . 

Especially in that situation

Since when do you allow fans to walk through a bunker (as I understand it) and still declare it a hazard.  True the officials had to rule the way they did, but it should have been a waste bunker.

I don't know about the rest of you, but nothing pisses me off more than hitting into a bunker and finding my ball in a foot print or divot!

I don't know about the rest of you, but nothing pisses me off more than hitting into a bunker and finding my ball in a foot print or divot!

This!!

But that was the rule that was stated and the official said they posted it in the lockerrooms and constantly reminded them so they had to make that call.

Yeah do I think the rule was pretty stupid. Yes. Do I think it was unfair the wrong ruling?  No. I think they set the rules for the tournament and he broke them. I know I was talking to my wife about how little room he had in the crowd. He made some joke during his break and address that made the crowd laugh. I thought he was being pretty loose for circumstances. Oh well he was on my fantasy picks this week and he cost me.

They did post rules in the players locker room, and #1 on the rules addressed the bunker situation -- that even though many of the bunkers were located outside of the ropes and not raked, they were to be played as bunkers.  One of the reports -- perhaps ESPN's or PGATour.com -- has the exact quote.

This is what i have to say about the situation:

Disagree with the ruling, but agree with the rule

I disagree with the rule but not the ruling. They applied the rule as posted; it was just a bad rule for the type course. Also; the PGA had a marshall with him the whole round and he could have stepped in before any rule was broken and let him know the situation. He didn`t because he said the crowd was too big. Well heck; that was part of the problem. If DJ could have seen the whole bunker and known it was actually part of a bunker, it may have made a difference in how he approached things.

Archived