2012 5* QB Jameis Winston (FSU signee)

RunInRed

Yeh, it's once in a blue moon to see anyone playing two major sports in college.  Bo did it here and in the pros but again, once in a blue moon and coaches NEVER like it. 

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I really want us going after Winston, at least not unless we sign another QB, because of his MLB status. He'd have to be crazy not to take the likely 3-5 million guaranteed he'd get if drafted in the first round (which he'd be able to negotiate even on the lower end of the first round because of the prospect of playing college football being a huge selling point, like Jeff Francoeur did when he turned down Clemson to play for the Braves). Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding QB prospect, and it makes me drool to think about what he could do in our offense, but I just don't see him playing college ball unless he goes to the MLB and somehow doesn't pan out.

Seems like LSU had a QB like that a few years back, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. :dunno:

1 of the Booty boys from Shreveport signed w/LSU then signed a contract w/the Marlins & couldn't make it past AA. He wound up back at lsu I believe.

I think if he kid doesn't play pro baseball he plays in Tuscaloosa.

wrong.  Coral Gables or Oklahoma.  Winston wants to be a pediatrist and he is leaning to UM and OU with the turds a distant third.  But as I stated a long time ago, he won't be at an in-state school.

wrong.  Coral Gables or Oklahoma.  Winston wants to be a pediatrist and he is leaning to UM and OU with the turds a distant third.  But as I stated a long time ago, he won't be at an in-state school.

I've heard Miami as well. That was before the coaching change though. I was told that his family, especially his grandfather, has a history of foot problems so he wants to study in that field and Miami is one of the top schools in the country in that field.

I've heard Miami as well. That was before the coaching change though. I was told that his family, especially his grandfather, has a history of foot problems so he wants to study in that field and Miami is one of the top schools in the country in that field.

My opinion of him just went up even higher. That's pretty danged impressive, to have a plan like that at his age...though I feel like it's pretty likely he'll go the MLB route.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I really want us going after Winston, at least not unless we sign another QB, because of his MLB status. He'd have to be crazy not to take the likely 3-5 million guaranteed he'd get if drafted in the first round (which he'd be able to negotiate even on the lower end of the first round because of the prospect of playing college football being a huge selling point, like Jeff Francoeur did when he turned down Clemson to play for the Braves). Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding QB prospect, and it makes me drool to think about what he could do in our offense, but I just don't see him playing college ball unless he goes to the MLB and somehow doesn't pan out.

Seems like LSU had a QB like that a few years back, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. :dunno:

1 of the Booty boys from Shreveport signed w/LSU then signed a contract w/the Marlins & couldn't make it past AA. He wound up back at lsu I believe.

Josh Booty!!! Thank you, that's who I was thinking of. Man that was bugging me!

Did you just say, "your booty is bugging you?...Even if its not, that's how I interpreted it...

Did you just say, "your booty is bugging you?...Even if its not, that's how I interpreted it...

Not MY Booty!!! But I'll give ya a hint: it belongs to something big, yellow, and stinky...;)

My opinion of him just went up even higher. That's pretty danged impressive, to have a plan like that at his age...though I feel like it's pretty likely he'll go the MLB route.

yeah, he's a pretty good kid from what I know of him.  Gets the ego going at times but a that age and having so many people telling you how great you are it's understandable.  I think with AU he just wants us to want him.  He likens himself to a Cam but he is far too lanky to be a Cam.  He'd have to put on 50lbs or so.  Plus for what ever reason, he doesn't seem to have that aggression when he breaks the pocket and runs.  You know like when a runner sees a backer or what ever and decides "I'm going to punish him instead of the other way around."

Just a little FYI.  Winston is scheduled to make a visit to Auburn this weekend with his parents.  We are really coming on strong with him of late.  Of course there's always that distinct possibility that he'll decide to take his chances in the MLB Draft, though.

That's good that we've started to warm up to Jameis, he's as good as it gets. But I just can't make myself interested in him considering the likelyhood of him going to the MLB

I think he will play baseball myself, but you never know.

I don't think this staff will get caught in one of those Jason Standridge deals.

• 2 months later...

New article on scout suggests he will make announcement soon. I realize we have Pike and are done at QB just wondered if anyone was hearing anything about where he might choose?

New article on scout suggests he will make announcement soon. I realize we have Pike and are done at QB just wondered if anyone was hearing anything about where he might choose?

Its probably bama unless the get Gunner Kiel which i dont think they do.

watch out for LSU

Or FSU. Regardless, I believe that he will forego college in lieu of MLB.

watch out for LSU

Exactly what I thought. FSU just seems like the best fit.

I hope he commits to bama and then signs with a MLB team next summer and leaves bama with no QB for the year!!

Well with McCarron and Sims there the next few years I do not think they would be hurting if Winston chooses baseball.

watch out for LSU

close call to say but he will never play more then a year of both at best.  He is a very impressive young man and our coaches knew that but they also knew his future was not in college football. 

watch out for LSU

close call to say but he will never play more then a year of both at best.  He is a very impressive young man and our coaches knew that but they also knew his future was not in college football. 

I thought in Baseball the rule is if you go to college you can not be eligible for the draft til after your junior season or 3 years removed from high school if you do not go pro out of high school..

Archived