2012 5* QB Jameis Winston (FSU signee)

RunInRed

I don't think the AU coaches made a choice.  I think Pike just commited first.  Both had offers.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the AU coaches made a choice.  I think Pike just commited first.  Both had offers.

This....

From what I understand, the coaches had told both of these QBs, and I think one more, that they had committable offers and are only taking one QB. And, that once one of them commits the other will no longer have a spot at Auburn as there are so many other needs that we have to fill in this class. They also told both Winston and Pike that they would be the cornerstone of the class and would have to be 100% sure they're done and become the biggest recruiter on the trail that isnt' a coach. Pike committed with this, specifically, in mind after his spring break visit.

This is what I heard at least.

I don't post much, but i don't quite understand why people believe we should have gone for Winston over Pike.. If they're anywhere close in talent (which they are) and one is without a doubt playing football for the school he commits to and the other is contemplating playing MLB baseball, which by the way he should, hes a no doubt first rounder, why wouldn't we go for Pike more? Not to mention, you here something about Pike pushing recruits to Auburn like crazy and about how he has great relationships with recruits almost every week, I personally haven't heard anything near that amount for Winston. I just think Pike was the better choice, given all the intangibles he brings VIA recruiting (and not to mention were 100% that we'll see him in Orange and Blue next year - barring a freak de-commitment)

I wasn't saying anything about picking one over the other.  I was saying I think if winston wanted to come to auburn and play we would accept him.  Also you couldn't have heard about winston getting people to commit to a school with him since he haven't committed anywhere.  My point was just because zp is committed to us doesn't necessarily make him better.  Like you just saying the intangible stuff when it may not be the case that zp has them and winston doesn't.  Another guy on another board said that zp is a better fit cuz he's more accurate but so far winston has shown to be more accurate.  I'm just being objective.  Seems like some people are just painting a picture of zp being better because he's already committed

This is the sense I get, too.  Keep in mind that Momma Winston is a big time Auburn fan, and before ZP committed to us the only visit that JW took his parents on was the trip to Auburn.  We were behind early, but I think we were making up ground quickly.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either player however the unknown of whether Winston will play MLB baseball or pursue football made me more comfortable getting ZP's commitment. 

Can't tell you guys nothing.  You know it all......lol.  If winston had already committed and pike hadn't you would say the exact same thing except switch the players.  If someone is committed to auburn in your eyes he's better than everyone else....pike is good winston is better.

I think both of them were pretty much even on the coaches' board. We were only using one spot for a quarterback and whoever committed first was going to get the spot.

well i've watched winston play since the 10th grade and while he is good, he is NOT and i repeat NOT deserving of the ranking and pub he is getting.  frankly i don't understand why he is getting all the hype unless it is potential based.  bottom line, winston is a three star caliber.

Yeah and on another board some guy said the same thing about pike.  I watched him play as well but I haven't seen pike.  I wouldn't know how to analyze anyway though.  Every team has a star that puts up stats.  I think he's better than stephen rivers from the times I saw him though.

Its not about how "good" the guy is perceived to be. All it takes is an excellent work ethic, a great coaching staff, and good talent around him to make a guy bust out on the scene. Look at Chris Todd for AU, and Matt cassel and Tom Brady in the NFL. Not considered highly rated, but boy, have they taken off.

There is plenty to say for a player like ZP that is in love with Auburn and simply can't wait to put on the orange and blue : burnt orange & navy blue. His attitude is contagious and I sort of see him as a Craig Sanders in a QB's body. The most painful thing in this for me is hearing Winston's mom is a big Tiger fan knowing we are only taking one QB. I wish Winston was a Jr. With all that said the Lattimore situation was a text book case on how a "lock" or something that looks great can go south so quickly.

War Eagle !

I'm sorry I was listening to everyone until I saw chris todd and tom brady comparison.  I laughed so hard I now have a terrible headache.  I'm just going to lay down now....

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/jameis_winston_i_know_where_i.html

Although he may commit to the Tide I doubt he ever plays a down. 

In the AHSAA North-South All-Star baseball game, Winston hit a grand slam, pitched two scoreless innings, stole a base and had five hits in leading the North team to a sweep over the South.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/jameis_winston_i_know_where_i.html

Although he may commit to the Tide I doubt he ever plays a down. 

In the AHSAA North-South All-Star baseball game, Winston hit a grand slam, pitched two scoreless innings, stole a base and had five hits in leading the North team to a sweep over the South.

Rumblings are Winston to FSU. Not exactly a good thing since it could be mean Kiel (consensus #1 QB) to Bama. Kiel hasnt ruled out Indiana though yet and his brother plays QB there so it could still work out.

FSU or LSU?  Bama thinks they lead for Kiel.  But I believe baseball leads for Winston. A great senior season could make JW think long and hard. 

Has this ship sailed?

The USS Pike sailed into port first.

True! but we could have had JW. 

Has this ship sailed?

Maybe but he may get a call from that MLB money.  Pike wants to be here, has recruited well for us, and there is no chance he will be playing MLB.

Has this ship sailed?

Maybe but he may get a call from that MLB money.  Pike wants to be here, has recruited well for us, and there is no chance he will be playing MLB.

JW is so talented at any sport he has played.  I hope he does well in the MLB! 

LSWHO and Free Shoes University should lead over Bama. They have elite football and baseball programs. Bama doesn't...and before anyone says it LSWHO will be back in baseball.

Archived