2012 5* QB Jameis Winston (FSU signee)

RunInRed

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jameis had interest in AU but not as much as he did in bama, LSU, & FSU

FWIW... IF we had ONLY been recruiting Winston (i.e. made him "top priority" till Feb.), and IF there wasn't the VERY good possibility that he foregoes college for MLB, then I FIRMLY believe that we would've signed him! He visited AU back in April, and the coaches had laid out a VERY impressive presentation for Winston and his parents... one that would've allowed him to play FB and BB. Winston also admitted that his mother is an AU fan, and that she was VERY excited at the possibility of him going there! I personally would've LOVED to have seen (in another world) what Gus could've done with Winston, IF he had strictly devoted his time to FB! I believe that he has UNLIMITED potential and could end up being an AMAZING talent.... but then again, that can be said of his BB career as well!

All that being said, I am EQUALLY ecstatic that we got Pike, and am looking foward to the SAME things from him as I was from Winston, if not MORE!

:we:

I'm calling bull to whoever said if winston wanted to commit to us we wouldn't accept.  Anyway I would have rather had winston but I think pike will be very good himself.

I thought Seymour butts wrote it but his brother Seymour Balls actually wrote it.

That was Under the Grandstand. :)

Jameis had interest in AU but not as much as he did in bama, LSU, & FSU

FWIW... IF we had ONLY been recruiting Winston (i.e. made him "top priority" till Feb.), and IF there wasn't the VERY good possibility that he foregoes college for MLB, then I FIRMLY believe that we would've signed him! He visited AU back in April, and the coaches had laid out a VERY impressive presentation for Winston and his parents... one that would've allowed him to play FB and BB. Winston also admitted that his mother is an AU fan, and that she was VERY excited at the possibility of him going there! I personally would've LOVED to have seen (in another world) what Gus could've done with Winston, IF he had strictly devoted his time to FB! I believe that he has UNLIMITED potential and could end up being an AMAZING talent.... but then again, that can be said of his BB career as well!

All that being said, I am EQUALLY ecstatic that we got Pike, and am looking foward to the SAME things from him as I was from Winston, if not MORE!

:we:

Our coaches have to think football first and thats what they did.  If it wasn't for ZP coming to to the coaches meeting and telling them he was wanted to be a tiger things would have been different.  We would have got JW!  Things happen just the way they were supposed to. 

I'm calling bull to whoever said if winston wanted to commit to us we wouldn't accept.  Anyway I would have rather had winston but I think pike will be very good himself.

Right now, I'm not 100% sure the coaches would accept a commitment. All you guys that wanted to talk about throwing someone under the bus, and practically stabbing someone in the back could then vocalize your opinions. Because the Coaches have made it known that they are done with QB. Winston is an insane athlete, but the Coaches don't approach the game that is recruiting like lil Nicky. They want to build a tight squad and try to form an ENTIRE team every year; they aren't seeking players just to keep another team from getting them.

They will recruit a qb next year so what's the difference?  Nothing is promised for pike but a spot on the team and an opportunity to compete.  I'm sure he knows we will keep recruiting talent and I'm sure he knows the best player will play.  Why would we not recruit good players? 

I agree BCS, these coaches know how to build team chemistry not just throw out a blanket offer nationwide to every five star recruit available. People can say that last year's championships only happened because of Cam, but that team had incredible team unity and awesome chemistry. Cam sure was integral, but he didn't do it all by himself.

They will recruit a qb next year so what's the difference?  Nothing is promised for pike but a spot on the team and an opportunity to compete.  I'm sure he knows we will keep recruiting talent and I'm sure he knows the best player will play.  Why would we not recruit good players? 

Of course nothing is promised, but Pike is probably our top recruiter this year. He is like Dyer and Frazier from years past. And when did I ever say anything about not recruiting good players? Weegs, now I see your frustration from the other day with the ","dore talk.

Jameis is VERY good and has alot of potential but I wouldn't say he is better than Zeke and I dang sure wouldn't trade Zeke for anything. He is the leader of this class. Zeke is a special player. We may see a Tebow or a Cam or a Zeke come around every five years at best. He's that GOOD! He has a good head on his shoulders and he LOVES Auburn.

We have Kiehl Frazier and Zeke Pike! If that doesn't get you excited you need to see your doctor asap. Chizik is building something special.

Can't tell you guys nothing.  You know it all......lol.  If winston had already committed and pike hadn't you would say the exact same thing except switch the players.  If someone is committed to auburn in your eyes he's better than everyone else....pike is good winston is better.

Maybe he is but there is huge possibility he may never play football, Winston will be a top ten baseball pick and i am sure the coaches have taken that into consideration. IMO he will be playing baseball after graduation

Can't tell you guys nothing.  You know it all......lol.  If winston had already committed and pike hadn't you would say the exact same thing except switch the players.  If someone is committed to auburn in your eyes he's better than everyone else....pike is good winston is better.

I think both of them were pretty much even on the coaches' board. We were only using one spot for a quarterback and whoever committed first was going to get the spot.

I think they were 1a and 1b on the board.  However not sure if CGM and CGC would have accepted a committment from Winston that early without some assurances.  If they had gotten a committment from Winston, Pike would have already committed elsewhere since it was known he wanted to commit early.  It worked out just like a plan for Auburn with Pike committing early and being a good recruiter much like KF.  All things considered I think ZP was just the better fit this year, guys.  When you recruit at this level you can only take one QB per year. In case of JW and baseball, UAT may sign a 3* or 4* as backup. Oops, I forgot that word (backup) is becoming a no-no.

Oh so you have seen them both play live and are better than our coaches at evaluating talent?  :laugh: Classic

Oh so you have seen them both play live and are better than our coaches at evaluating talent?  :laugh: Classic

Doubt if the folks that are calling ZP better have seen both live either.  And how do you know that our coaches think ZP is better than JW? 

With that said I think ZP is the safer bet to be a college starter one day.  But that is only because there is a chance JW could go the pro baseball route if he wants to take a shot at MLB first.  JW is obviously a much more accurate passer when looking at TD/INT ratio and when you consider JW plays against much better competition it is not a stretch to say he might be better.  However I trust these coaches to bring in a quality kid that is sound both on and off the field.  And so far ZP has shown that he is that man.  I would not be shocked at all if he was a 3 year starter at AU. 

I'm sorry what I meant to say is he has performed better so far.  Idk who would end up better.  My point was just because zp already committed here doesn't necessarily means he's better.

I spent my high school years at Hueytown. I've seen Winston play live and he's very, very good but when i watched Zeke play I was just blown away. Zeke and Jameis are both very good. JW puts alot of zip on the ball,has a strong arm, he's calm in the pocket, has that never give up attitude, and he's going to be good at whatever he does. He has alot going for him. I wish him the best in the future. Zeke is just the total package with his size and running ability. That's JMO. You can think what you want.

I trust our recruiting staff. If they say it's Pike, it's Pike. :wedance:

I don't post much, but i don't quite understand why people believe we should have gone for Winston over Pike.. If they're anywhere close in talent (which they are) and one is without a doubt playing football for the school he commits to and the other is contemplating playing MLB baseball, which by the way he should, hes a no doubt first rounder, why wouldn't we go for Pike more? Not to mention, you here something about Pike pushing recruits to Auburn like crazy and about how he has great relationships with recruits almost every week, I personally haven't heard anything near that amount for Winston. I just think Pike was the better choice, given all the intangibles he brings VIA recruiting (and not to mention were 100% that we'll see him in Orange and Blue next year - barring a freak de-commitment)

I don't post much, but i don't quite understand why people believe we should have gone for Winston over Pike.. If they're anywhere close in talent (which they are) and one is without a doubt playing football for the school he commits to and the other is contemplating playing MLB baseball, which by the way he should, hes a no doubt first rounder, why wouldn't we go for Pike more? Not to mention, you here something about Pike pushing recruits to Auburn like crazy and about how he has great relationships with recruits almost every week, I personally haven't heard anything near that amount for Winston. I just think Pike was the better choice, given all the intangibles he brings VIA recruiting (and not to mention were 100% that we'll see him in Orange and Blue next year - barring a freak de-commitment)

Well put. I beleive you hit the nail on the head

Archived