followup on UGA cheerleader coach being fired

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/0804/26cheer.html

You have to register to read link but it is free. Sad to see this happening at Georgia. Will it happen at Auburn?

ATHENS — It was a subtle message, written in small lime-green letters on the greaseboard affixed to the Stegeman Coliseum door that still bears her name: "I love you guys. Coach."

That was the only visible sign of cheerleading coach Marilou Braswell on the University of Georgia campus Wednesday. But her firing, the result of a religious discrimination complaint filed against her by a Jewish cheerleader, may be felt in every classroom and building in the coming weeks and months.

It was definitely being felt just across Smith Street at Georgia's football practice. There Kevin "Chappy" Hynes, the team's Christian chaplain, was lamenting what he deemed a certainty — that Braswell's dismissal would eventually affect him.

"Am I concerned about the spotlight coming onto our program? No. But I don't want anything to change or disrupt what we do," said Hynes, football coach Mark Richt's brother-in-law. "We've got a good thing going here. There has been a chaplain here for 30-odd years. So what I'm doing is nothing new."

Braswell, whose minister husband, Matt, held Bible study at their home, is accused by senior cheerleader Jaclyn Steele of Marietta of favoring Christian cheerleaders who attended such events.

The Anti-Defamation League issued a statement Tuesday commending UGA for firing Braswell and Steele for standing up against discrimi- nation.

Georgia's football program has a similar strong Christian undertone. In addition to weekly Bible study and prayer groups, Richt takes the team — players go voluntarily, he said — to different churches in and around Athens every Sunday. Richt said he sent a note to players' parents each summer asking permission. Not all the players go, but most do, he said.

"I'd say a very high percentage of our kids are Christians or believe in God, and we just want to let them know there's a church family or church body in town they can go to," Richt said Wednesday. "A lot of kids go to church at home, and when they come to college a lot of parents would like them to continue to go. We want to introduce them to that. I think it promotes a oneness or unity when we do that."

But Richt said he knew UGA might evaluate his program for compliance with church-state separation. "If we are [in compliance], then good. If we're not, we'll make any adjustments we need to make. I'm not stubborn."

Said senior quarterback David Greene: "Coach Richt has never forced that upon anybody. . . . It's something that's available for us if we want to go."

Braswell has hired two Athens lawyers and is appealing her firing. She will meet with UGA athletics director Damon Evans this morning.

"I am going to listen to what she has to say, think about it and decide what to do from there," Evans said Wednesday.

The Braswells believe they're at the center of what may become a raging church-state debate at UGA. They have been interviewed by dozens of newspapers, magazines and radio and television stations the past two days. "If this is a flash point, so be it. Let the chips fall where they may," Matt Braswell said.

Not everyone understands the magnitude of the issue. "We'll just handle it like Jesus would handle it," Hynes said.

If there is evidence that she favored the christian girls/boys over the others then I'd say there is a problem there.

I would like to see the evidence. If a christian spoke up, it would probably have been handled differently. Minorities are beginning to make this an ugly country. They have been told for so long that people are out to get them, that they are starting to believe it. And we as decent human beings are trying to do the right thing. But maybe the girl just wasn't varsity material!

If there is evidence that she favored the christian girls/boys over the others then I'd say there is a problem there.

I would like to see the evidence. If a christian spoke up, it would probably have been handled differently. Minorities are beginning to make this an ugly country. They have been told for so long that people are out to get them, that they are starting to believe it. And we as decent human beings are trying to do the right thing. But maybe the girl just wasn't varsity material!

Amen...

I can't stand it. The minorities are getting any and everything they want by screaming discrimination...It's sad!

I'm not saying there is evidence. It does seem like that if the university fired her so quickly that there might be some. If there is solid evidence I don't blame the girl for speaking out.

Its really split on campus.....many agree with the girl while others want to see some evidence

Do they agree with the girl simply because they don't like the idea of group Bible studies for the cheerleaders, or because they've seen something that actually bolsters her case that she was actually discriminated against? Because frankly, the Bible study thing shouldn't matter unless someone can prove discrimination.

I'm just asking this simply because I don't know. Was the girl actually on the squad or trying out or what? If she was on the squad, how is she treated "different" from the others for not attending bible study etc. Is there some pecking order or heiarchy when it comes to a cheerleading squad? I know this may sound a little simplistic, but I thought there was a captain of the squad and maybe a microphone dude. Was she deprived of some opportunity to advance?

I should probably read more about it, huh?

What is really disturbing is the debate that is developing over the team chaplain. Bible study and team church attendance is optional and parents are informed before the players report to practice. Will this eventually effect Fellowship of Christian Athletes? Will all team chaplains be banned (ie Chette Williams at AU)? I think most SEC teams have a similar program in place. I feel that the good publicity from Auburn's players during Tuberville's tenure is in part due to the counselling that Chette does. If you listened to him on Finebaum's show he explained how low key his appproach is to the players. He is available to all players and only overtly brings up Christian beliefs when asked. In my opinion The church and state separation issue (in which I believe) is going a little too far in our society.

Archived