Lutz speaks (re: players unionizing) ...

RunInRed

Interesting ...

7c2542a6cce2ad7c1458fbfe61385584.jpeg

So if northwestern players are 'employees' now, can the be fired for not performing on the field? Or if they miss class?

My point is play bad Saturday get fired Sunday solely based on performance.

I'm all for players getting a little xtra $. Don't get me wrong. I lived check to check in college. But making kids millionaires is dumb.

I could have made plenty of money theu jersey sales alone but i don't agree that my teammates shouldn't have received some just bc my #43...

Was a popular jersey sale. But charging. $70+ for a jersey that I wore and was successful in and nt seeing a dime from it is crooked.

Also, most give out 4 year scholarships now as a recruiting tool.

I've never seen a college coach just cutting a scholarship kid during camp for strictly being a bad player. There's motive behind.

Someof these replies are just ignorant. Athlete should be thankful for there free $200k education. It's not ur profession yet.Ur a kid still

Last comment. I agree there needs to be some sort of change but creating a union for amateur sports I do not agree with. Players should...

Receive more money bc it is a struggle to get by, but also they receive free housing, meals, tutoring, education, are treated like icons...

And if act carry themselves correctly while in college they get great job offers from huge alumni. Those are benefits enough for me.

@lutzenkirchen

Lutz is a class act. Love him! He's got some great points about performance tied to scholarships. Can North Western players get fired from their team for playing badly? I bet Saban would have fired Cade Foster if he could have!

Guest NC1406

My question is, if the players are now allowed to be employees and unionize will they be treated as real employees as the NLRB declared. As an employee the IRS requires that you pay income tax on benefits you receive. Anyone care to guess what the tax is on the value of books, scholly and of course that check these players currently receive. I have to claim my "benefits" these employees should have to do the same.

My question is, if the players are now allowed to be employees and unionize will they be treated as real employees as the NLRB declared. As an employee the IRS requires that you pay income tax on benefits you receive. Anyone care to guess what the tax is on the value of books, scholly and of course that check these players currently receive. I have to claim my "benefits" these employees should have to do the same.

This is a very narrow ruling that only applies to the right to form a union. Whether the IRS treats them as employees is a separate issue.

I don't know how the players currently handle it, but technically the portion of a scholarship that pays for room and board is taxable anyway. I found that out when I was in college on a full scholarship. The only part that is non taxable is tuition, books and fees.

Watchig UAT miss all those FG's reminded me of watching FSU when the game was on the line against Miami. It was always wide right or wide left. But NEVER and I mean NEVER did a Miami player returned a missed FG for a touchdown on the last play of the game like Chris Davis did.

I agree with this ? and have some more. Will they pay union dues? Will they be considered part-time as NCAA rules only allow 20 hours per week for football? If the school is not in a right to work state, can athletes who don`t won`t to join the union be forced to join as a matter of being an athlete at said school?

I think athletes are going to find this ruling may ultimately hurt them far worse that help them.

I think athletes are going to find this ruling may ultimately hurt them far worse that help them.

I agree because, IMO, it will kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Unions are great at doing that. Universities wont be able to afford fielding athletic teams and the NFL will have to finance minor league franchises that NOBODY would care about or go see.

Agree. I agree with Lutz and Former Missouri WR TJ Moe(http://collegespun.c...aa-unionization). I do think players should be allowed to have endorsements though. Or there could be a way where players could get compensated but the money has to remain in escrow until they have completed their college degree. I would be ok with players getting compensated but i think it would essentially open up the door to a bunch of lawsuits and other legality issues making the situation not worth the hassle. A union will kill the entire point of what players are trying to achieve. Thus an initial solution may be to allow college players the opportunity to have endorsements that way it's just not beneficial to the major sports and it’s not a major financial issue for universities.

Lutz is well-spoken, you can tell he took full advantage of his free education!

Anyway, the Northwestern student-athletes have won the ability to vote on whether or nor they want to unionize, nothing has really happened yet. The NCAA and I'm sure many other organizations (including the universities) are preparing to fight this thing if it goes further. It will be tied up in courts for years before anything is settled.

His comments about 'professionals' is spot on...these kids haven't even graduated college yet but you're going to pay them like a working professional making $50-100K a year, depending on the school?? Northwestern is not cheap at all...if the yearly cost of everything a student athlete receives in a year is close to $75K-100K a year, are you telling me these kids are being compensated enough?

Archived