Maybe there is no IRS "scandal"?

icanthearyou

In an apparent contradiction with earlier comments made by House Oversight Committee chair Darrell Issa, new documents obtained through a FOIA request by ThinkProgress show that yes, the IRS targeted both conservative and liberal groups for extra scrutiny. According to ThinkProgress's analysis of the heavily redacted "be on the lookout" lists, the IRS may have targeted a higher number of progressive groups than conservative groups overall.

Basically, the documents support a long-held counterargument to Issa's theory of the IRS scandal. While Issa has often emphasizedthat he believes the IRS exclusively targeted Tea Party groups "because of their political beliefs," that argument relies heavily on the fact that the latest version of the so-called BOLO lists primarily contained conservative-sounding groups. In fact, the IRS also kept and circulated historical versions of that list for continued scrutiny, which were filled with progressive keywords, including medical marijuana groups and keywords designed to flag groups descended from the now-defunct ACORN. And just to be clear: everybody agrees that the IRS should not have targeted political groups for extra scrutiny in this way. What's at issue are claims that the IRS uniquely treated conservative and Tea Party groups on the basis of political motivations.

Arguably, ThinkProgress's report implies, the IRS focused on giving extra scrutiny to groups on the left longer than it did to groups on the right, Issa's colleagues across the aisle on the Oversight Committee have long noted that Issa has yet to produce evidence supporting his repeated claims that the IRS was acting as part of an anti-GOP political conspiracy. These documents, which ThinkProgress notes were also produced for "investigating congressional committees," are certainly not that evidence. Here's a list of some of the groups that show up on the full BOLO watch lists (viewable here):

• “Progressive” groups, especially those with words like "blue" in the name
  • “Tea Party" groups
  • Not exclusively educational “medical marijuana” groups
  • Groups believed to be "successors to ACORN"
  • "Open source software" organizations
  • "Green energy" organizations
  • "Occupied territory" advocacy organizations

On the "emerging" section on one of the distributed lists, the BOLO lists contains this downright bipartisan warning:

Political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding government, educating on the constitution and bill
of
rights,
Social
eco
nomic reform/movement

Anyway, Issa already has a response to that non-specific language. The political watch list language was “changed to broader ‘political advocacy organizations,’" he wrote in a committee report, adding that he believes "the IRS still intended to identify and single out Tea Party applications for scrutiny.” Even though it looks like progressive groups may have ended up on the watch list before the Tea Party started popping up.

While the full watch lists are illuminating, it's doubtful that they'll change anyone's mind on the scandal. The report clearly bolsters what many Democratic legislators have said about the IRS scandal all along. Twitchy already has a round-upof the conservative response.

This article was originally published at http://www.thewire.c...crutiny/361125/

Maybe it is time for extreme partisan types to recognize that government is something you participate in, not control or obstruct? Maybe it is time to place more emphasis on being American than partisan? Perhaps the "scandal" is courtesy of Mr. Issa's office and not the White House? Possible?

The IRS with the assistance has obstructed and delayed the investigation to prevent Issa from obtaining hard evidence.

The supposed BOLO list was clearly not followed since green groups were routinely approved and conservative groups were not.

Think Progress has selectively twisted facts for the benefit of leftists who don't want to know what happened.

AF, you speak with absolute authority and command of all relevant facts. Where did you obtain this knowledge?

Yes, the source in the OP is biased. Are you? Is your source?

Is it possible that the only thing going on here is a political sideshow that is wasting time and money?

The IRS scandal is yet another one of those situations- like the Arizona cattle rancher - where the rule of law doesn't apply to conservatives.

And they talk about the "drive-by" media! All it takes is the slightest perceived transgression and they light their hair on fire.

Then why in the world is the IRS delaying, delaying, and delaying release of emails and other documents? Why is Lerner taking the fifth?

This sounds like a very suspiciously timed story with a lot of squishy non-facts.

I disagree Homer. I believe the IRS scandal is indicative of the fact that political concerns override all motives for honest and effective government. The Bundy situation, in my opinion, is a misguided protest against the misguided or corrupt motives of a bureaucratic, overly zealous agency. I'm not so sure you can draw that kind of parallel between the two and come up with that sort of generalization about conservatives. Maybe the conservative media though.

I agree with you DKW but, so does the investigation with all of it's redacted testimony and facts. That is sort of the point. This "scandal" has taken on a political life of it's own. I'm not sure either side wants the facts to come out. The most direct route to getting Lerner to testify would be by granting her immunity. Is the innuendo more compelling than the truth? Are the political goals more important than the time and taxpayer money? I don't know but, that is the way it appears to me.

Ignore that smoke. Ignore those caught in lies. Ignore Lerner hiding behind the 5th. Geez, the liberals are either gullible, ignorant oblivious or a combination of all three.

Ironic. Ignore and ignorant go together. It sort of makes you a partisan dolt regardless of whether you are on the left or the right.

LOL. Nothing to see here, Obama didn't lie to pass the ACA, nothing to Fast and Furious, etc etc. Nothing to none of it. Geez. Clowns obviously do more than work at the circus.

I agree with you DKW but, so does the investigation with all of it's redacted testimony and facts. That is sort of the point. This "scandal" has taken on a political life of it's own. I'm not sure either side wants the facts to come out. The most direct route to getting Lerner to testify would be by granting her immunity. Is the innuendo more compelling than the truth? Are the political goals more important than the time and taxpayer money? I don't know but, that is the way it appears to me.

The reason it has become political is because of the closed curtain by the administration seeking to block any light. The DOJ investigator is an Obama contributor. Lois Lerner refused to testify after forfeiting her fifth amendment protection. (BTW one does not offer immunity without knowing what the witness can offer. (ie: my instructions came from high up and if you give me immunity, I will tell you who.))

Pressure on the IRS came from Democrats who feared the uprising from the right and sought to quash it. Cummings, it turns out after his showboating, was deeply involved with stopping the Texas group True The Vote.

Because of the obstruction of the investigation by congressional Democrats, charges of politics is natural. An attempt to distract and obfuscate the American public.

The Think Progress article is simply a piece to assure its readers that there is nothing there so there no need to look. Think Progress is not just a little biased, it is a full blown propaganda site.

I disagree Homer. I believe the IRS scandal is indicative of the fact that political concerns override all motives for honest and effective government. The Bundy situation, in my opinion, is a misguided protest against the misguided or corrupt motives of a bureaucratic, overly zealous agency. I'm not so sure you can draw that kind of parallel between the two and come up with that sort of generalization about conservatives. Maybe the conservative media though.

Bundy was contemptuous of the law and then organized a protest when held to account.

Had Bundy and his supporters been Muslims wielding AK's conservatives would have been falling all over themselves demanding the government arrest them. It became a "scandal" only because they identified politically with the scofflaw

The IRS was rightfully and appropriately investigating 501©(4) organizations to see if they were legitimately tax exempt. It became a "scandal" only because of the conservative 501's that were included.

http://www.usnews.co...eal-irs-scandal

The BLM did not need heavily armed forces to go after Bundy. They could get court orders to put a lien on his house, seize his bank accounts, and arrest him at home if needed. Then hire someone who knows how to handle cattle to roundup and ship off the cattle for sale.

Did they not learn anything after Waco?

Nobody ever said the IRS targeted just conservative groups. They admitted they did 2 or 3 liberal groups just so they could say they didn't discriminate. But they did target many, many more conservative groups. IMHO It is really naive after ALL the info that has been put on the table to believe otherwise. Just ask yourself why they lied in the very beginning by saying it was just a few people in the Cincinnati office?

It's not seeing what you want to believe, it's seeing the truth and that is often hard to see in this administration.

Nobody ever said the IRS targeted just conservative groups. They admitted they did 2 or 3 liberal groups just so they could say they didn't discriminate. But they did target many, many more conservative groups. IMHO It is really naive after ALL the info that has been put on the table to believe otherwise. Just ask yourself why they lied in the very beginning by saying it was just a few people in the Cincinnati office?

It's not seeing what you want to believe, it's seeing the truth and that is often hard to see in this administration.

Good point about the Cincy office. Same with the video causing the attach at Benghazi. Are they lying or are they just incompetent? It is hard to tell the difference at first.

Amazing that everyone can see so clearly, exactly what they want to see.

Or ignore what they want.

In an attempt to identify organizations that were hiding their donors, garnering tax-exempt status and claiming the "social welfare" mantle, staff at the IRS included key words that targeted the tea party. Big mistake. But blame Obama and the White House? Please. The IRS also targeted over two-dozen liberal groups. All these political campaign groups should never have been given status as tax exempt, social welfare organizations. That is the real scandal.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/peter-fenn/2013/05/22/on-irs-ap-and-benghazi-republicans-are-crying-wolf

Did the IRS investigate those liberal groups because of promoting from Republican senators or congressmen? They did go after conservative groups because of Cummings and maybe others. That alone is a big difference.

Bundy was contemptuous of the law and then organized a protest when held to account.

Had Bundy and his supporters been Muslims wielding AK's conservatives would have been falling all over themselves demanding the government arrest them. It became a "scandal" only because they identified politically with the scofflaw

The IRS was rightfully and appropriately investigating 501©(4) organizations to see if they were legitimately tax exempt. It became a "scandal" only because of the conservative 501's that were included.

You don't know what a conservative would have done in any instance. To pretend is laughable.

Guest NC1406

Likewise if Bundy had been paid to go across the country and sit in a bus seat that the law said he could not sit in. It is likely that Bundy's supporters would be on a different side of the political isle and the supporters would still say that his civil disobedience was warranted. The question of whether the law should have been broken is all in the eye of the beholder.

You don't know what a conservative would have done in any instance. To pretend is laughable.

:dunno: I pretty much am conservative.

Archived